Contributor
Baby_Fark_McGee-zax
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

App installed Adware

Hello,

A while back I bought a word majhong game and it was okay...

But recently an update came through that allowed the makers of the game (I think it's Toy Studio?) to use my nook hd+ notifications area at the top to display ads for their titles and sales and such.

This is pretty unsettling, and I have written the company with no reply. Can I turn this off? I feel it is an unethical breech of some kind of "standards of practice" or "unwritten code" that this company is abusing.

Funny enough, one of their adware placements was advertising a 100% AD FREE game.

Please help.

Contributor
th0ughts
0 Kudos

Re: App installed Adware

I can imagine that the Nook settings do not control the app itself.  You can check to see if there is an option to turn off the ads (some app developers offer this option).  Unfortunately, some app developers change their stance on ads later on in the game and throw them into app updates.  

When I download an app like that I just find another one that is similar, uninstall the old, and bring in the new.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

[ Edited ]
I get the same problem with any apps bought from agile fusion. I deleted their apps and refuse to buy from them anymore. Don't care to see notifications advertizing their games either. .
Bibliophile
5ivedom

[ Edited ]

As an app developer I can tell you a few things

1) Ads as such are not allowed in Nook Apps. That's a breach of the terms. You are only allowed to mention other apps you have.

2) What you describe might be in the grey area. I don't think developers should do it though.

Why?

Because there is something running in the background using up users' processing power, battery life, wireless connection to download 'ads' and show them to users.

Also, it is without consent.

2b) Were you at any point asked if you were OK with this?

3) I won't lie to you - This is a big advantage for companies that do it. They get to advertise when they have new releases etc. and they get a marketing advantage.

That's why they do it. This is like in the early days of Facebook. Companies like Zynga that abused the notifications ability gained an unfair advantage.

I agree with you - it seems to break an unspoken ethical rule - they should ask permission before showing notifications. And if users doesn't agree they shouldn't do notifications.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

Thanks for the explanation 5ivedom. I know the rovio games show their other games sometimes on startup, but never disrupts actual game playing. Same goes for any of your apps I have. I just don't want any popups in my notification area at the top of my HD+ except for what I authorize.... weather, mail, calender. I guess I didn't read the fine print good enough when I originally installed those apps. But, at least it didn't cost me too much to learn a valuable lesson.
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

are you talking about the notification area at the top of the device? I thought all HD+'s were like that and it was B&N doing that...is that not correct? An app I have is doing that? grrrrr

Bibliophile
5ivedom

CindyLee,

In the notification area you should not be getting any notifications on new apps. B&N only uses the 'Today' section and the Shop section. And sometimes email newsletter mentions apps.

It doesn't send notifications for apps. This is just some developers overstepping the 'unwritten' rules of courtesy.

Correspondent
DonMN

I had the same problem with agile fusion. I expect ads in the app when it is a free version, but generating notifications even when I am not using it is unacceptable. I un-installed it and the notification ads went away.
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

ugh. That ticks me off. Next time I get a notification, I'll see which app is from the same company and delete it.