Contributor
fluffypiranha
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Applications purchased on Nook 1st ed. not showing up on HD+

I've already contacted customer service a week ago and have received no response. I purchased QuickOffice Pro on my Nook 1st ed. I recently upgraded to a Nook HD+ and I'm missing this app plus another app. I can't find it listed under my purchases although I have the email that shows proof of purchase. The app shows up under my library on the website but I do not have the option to download it. I'm feeling like I got ripped off and if this is the case (considering when I purchased it the app was $15 and now it's $5). I use the app for school. I will no longer be purchasing apps through Barnes and Noble.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Re: Applications purchased on Nook 1st ed. not showing up on HD+

Nook 1st edition does not allow purchase of apps, and never has.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

fluffypiranha wrote:

I've already contacted customer service a week ago and have received no response. I purchased QuickOffice Pro on my Nook 1st ed. I recently upgraded to a Nook HD+ and I'm missing this app plus another app. I can't find it listed under my purchases although I have the email that shows proof of purchase. The app shows up under my library on the website but I do not have the option to download it. I'm feeling like I got ripped off and if this is the case (considering when I purchased it the app was $15 and now it's $5). I use the app for school. I will no longer be purchasing apps through Barnes and Noble.

I suspect you may be referring to a Nook Color and not a Nook First Edition which, as Laurie pointed out, is an eink device. However, the info on "Quickoffice Pro" indicates it's for Nook Color & Nook Tablet, not Nook HD.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

fluffypiranha wrote:

I assume you had a Nook Color or Nook Tablet.
The Quick Office app is only compatible with Nook Color and Nook Tablet. Not with Nook HD.

See this link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/quickoffice-pro-edit-office-documents-on-the-go-quickoffice-inc/1107...

B&N does develop apps, it just sells them.

Do not blame B&N, blame the developer. If you look at the developer website (search for Nook HD) you will see that they promised a Nook HD version 2 years ago, but this was never released.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

I purchased the QuickOffice Pro app for my NC and actually had it for aw while on my HD+ and it seemed to work fine but never really used it much so don't know if it was actually totally compatible. It disappeard from the HD+ following a "check for updates" and it was my understanding that the reason for its removal was that Googld purchased the developer. I have been hoping that it would become availsble now that B&N and are bedfellows but never got around to checking since I also have OfficeSuite Pro that meets my limited needs - would be a lot more upset if I had paid$14.99+ and really needed thr app!

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Swamprat wrote:

I purchased the QuickOffice Pro app for my NC and actually had it for aw while on my HD+ and it seemed to work fine but never really used it much so don't know if it was actually totally compatible. It disappeard from the HD+ following a "check for updates" and it was my understanding that the reason for its removal was that Googld purchased the developer. I have been hoping that it would become availsble now that B&N and are bedfellows but never got around to checking since I also have OfficeSuite Pro that meets my limited needs - would be a lot more upset if I had paid$14.99+ and really needed thr app!

So you had the app on your HD and it suddenly became incompatible when the Google update came along. The only way you can get it back (apparently) is to fork over another $14.99 to Google. BTW, Google did buy Quickoffice...June 5, 2012.

Well, I'm glad you're not terribly upset about it.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

You may find that the free version of Kingsoft Office from the Google Play Store does what you need....

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Swamprat wrote:

So you had the app on your HD and it suddenly became incompatible when the Google update came along. The only way you can get it back (apparently) is to fork over another $14.99 to Google. BTW, Google did buy Quickoffice...June 5, 2012.

FYI, QuickOffice became incompatible back in Dec, not with the recent addition of GooglePlay. Now maybe Google did it in anticipation of GP being added, we dont know....

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

Swamprat wrote:

FYI, QuickOffice became incompatible back in Dec, not with the recent addition of GooglePlay. Now maybe Google did it in anticipation of GP being added, we dont know....

I would be interested to know if it actually became "incompatible" since it seemed to work on the HD+ until it suddenly became no longer available in the HD listings.  As I indicated, I never used it extensively, mostly for looking at excel files on Dropbox, but it seemed to work OK.  I note that there is a HD version on the GoPS but am not interested in spending $19.99 to evaluate it.

Although I have several complaints about the B&N app store, I don't think it is appropriate to criticize them in this case since it appears that it was not their decision.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Let me rephrase. When I purchased my HD+ in Nov, QuickOffice Pro was available for download on the HDdevices.  I used it a couple of times and it seemed fine. At some point in early Dec, it was suddenly not available for the HD devices.  There was some announcement that Google had recently completed the purchase of QuickOffice around that time. Personally, I took it to be a google decision (cause honestly, not in B&N's interest to pull it.)  Why Google pulled it we dont know.

One of the first free apps that B&N offered was OfficeSuitePro. So picked that up instead (sometimes procrastination pays off!)

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Let me rephrase. When I purchased my HD+ in Nov, QuickOffice Pro was available for download on the HDdevices.  I used it a couple of times and it seemed fine. At some point in early Dec, it was suddenly not available for the HD devices.  There was some announcement that Google had recently completed the purchase of QuickOffice around that time. Personally, I took it to be a google decision (cause honestly, not in B&N's interest to pull it.)  Why Google pulled it we dont know.

One of the first free apps that B&N offered was OfficeSuitePro. So picked that up instead (sometimes procrastination pays off!)

My experience was exactly the same - I am wondering whether there is a real functional ifference between the "withdrawn" version that appeared to work on the HD+ and the new (HD) version now availale in the GoPS or whether this vesion was developed because it could be sold at a higher price to owners of HD devices.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Probably so they could sell a different version to ALL hd type deviced (not just nooks.)

:smileymad:

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

My thought as well - should have used "hd" to indicate generic devices.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Sometimes Developers think they should make a HD version separate so they can get paid for the effort put into porting it over for HD devices.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Sometimes Developers think they should make a HD version separate so they can get paid for the effort put into porting it over for HD devices.

I have no problem with paying them for their efforts if there was effort involved - as I noted above, the NC app appeared to work fine on the HD+  and I am having a hard time figuring out what enhancements woul be required/achievable on a hd device butt not willing to spend $19.99 to find out.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

If the NC version was working fine on HD+ then it might just be confusion on the developer's part or a money grab.