Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

Apps spontaneously uninstall and can't be reinstalled

This just happened on my Nook HD a few days ago while on vacation.  A couple of the apps I have had for a long time just spontaneously uninstalled.  When I tried to download them from the cloud and reinstall them I got a message that they could not be installed and that I had to remove items from my Library.  Nothing had been added to my library when this happened but I deleted a few unused and unwanted apps anyway.  It made no difference.  I noted that at the same time, the Nook was booting up a bit more slowly from being turned off completely so I have just been letting it go to sleep.  This has made no difference.  Twice now I have had to do a factory reset and I don't want to have to do another if there's an easier fix to this problem.

mady

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Apps spontaneously uninstall and can't be reinstalled

Check the apps on the web app page to see if they are still available for sale. Maybe the apps got pulled for some reason.

Is your Nook the only one registered to your account? If not, check with the others using your account to make sure they did not delete the app; this has happened on more than one occasion.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

I am the only user, I haven't used my other Nook (Color) in a long time and these apps are very much still available. Besides, they were still available in my "cloud".

mady
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

It's possible that these apps are only available for the Nook Color.  It's also possible that initially they were flagged as available for the HD but since then they've been flagged as available only for the NC.  The difference in screen resolution between the two means some developers only want their app on the NC, because they think it won't look good enough on the HD or HD+.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

I've been using Bubble Burst, Candy Burst Saga and AccuWeather Premium since January.  In fact, they have been downloaded and reinstalled twice before when I had to do factory resets.

mady

Reader 2
buzzbva
0 Kudos

I had the exact same occurence on my HD+.  I managed to get ezpdfpro reinstalled, although I had to pay for it again. I never could install deleted apps from Google Play.  Google Play thinks they are installed, but they are not on device.  Even months later I get windows popping up saying "this application can not be installed, remove something from library" .  The app trying to install is not named.  Would that I could go back to pre googlizing of my HD+.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Did you delete them using the 'uninstall' option from within Google play store?

I use that to get rid of apps, but can go back and install them again at any time.

Contributor
madylarian
0 Kudos

Well, after more apps stopped working and more popup messages about uninstalling apps (which did not solve the problem) I finally gave up and ANOTHER factory reset, the third one since the major update fiasco.  As might be expected, all of apps that previously did not work installed and worked just fine.

That's 3 resets in less than a year.  After the next one Kindle might start to look pretty good.

mady

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

I'm just now getting this. I tried to delete some things and it asked if I wanted to move it to the cloud. I said ok and it said no. Someone farther down said maybe the apps were no longer available. What difference does that make? If I already bought them they can't take them away from me. I've had this tablet a year and one month. It's getting more and more irritating. I'm hoping Santa (aka my husband) gives me a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for Christmas. He has one and has never had problems. How do you do a complete hard reset?

Frequent Contributor
Ruff16965
0 Kudos

Go to the Cog in the upper right hand corner. Click it, in drop down menu choose ALL SETTINGS, scroll  to DEVICE INFORMATION at the very bottom is ERASE & DEREGISTER just follow the directions. Very easy to do.

Word of caution make sure you have all account info handy, both B&N and home network if password is need for access. I have a word document with this all printed out.

Good luck.

Chris and Terr
Nook HD 8GB for Chris
Nook Color for Terri
Correspondent
Wulfraed

ceeotters wrote:

I'm just now getting this. I tried to delete some things and it asked if I wanted to move it to the cloud. I said ok and it said no. Someone farther down said maybe the apps were no longer available. What difference does that make? If I already bought them they can't take them away from me. I've had this tablet a year and one month. It's getting more and more irritating. I'm hoping Santa (aka my husband) gives me a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for Christmas. He has one and has never had problems. How do you do a complete hard reset?

"Cloud" and archive don't store anything on B&N servers -- just a flag that the item was purchased and unloaded from the Nook. If the app (or book) has been pulled by the publisher, B&N will have NO copy to redownload to your Nook.

In the case of books, the recommendation is to download them to your computer. Then, if B&N loses the rights to distribute it, you have a copy you could side-load.

Baron Wulfraed