Contributor
BebeFleur13
0 Kudos

Apps

Anyone else notice that when an app from Google Play updates it's shortcut from the homescreens diddappear?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: Apps

Yes, that is going to be a pain in the butt to keep track of. I wonder why it does that?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Yes, that is going to be a pain in the butt to keep track of. I wonder why it does that?

Perhaps the name of the file changed slightly so the existing shortcut won't work?  Isn't the shortcut on the home screen put there by the user, not by the default?  This happens to me frequently when a program on my PC is updated.  What's even more of a pain, is that the update doesn't delete the old shortcut on my desktop, but it simply stops working.

We recently updated a program at work that is used by several thousand users.  The icons changed, so it put new icons on the desktop.  But it didn't delete the old icons, they simply no longer worked.   To make matters worse, the user can't delete the shortcuts from his/her desktop, it has to be done by someone with admin rights.

But I'm going with something changed and to avoid confusion, it removes the shortcuts.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is probably it: Perhaps the name of the file changed slightly so the existing shortcut won't work?

App V1.1 is installed.

You add a shortcut and it installs.

Now, how Android works is that it first uninstalls existing version, and then installs new version (while keeping data intact).

So if you update (or if store updates)

Step 1: Remove existing one.

At that point shortcut is lost because app it was pointing to is gone. So it's removed.

Step 2: New version installs.

Shortcut - No shortcut. Because it doesn't know a new version is made.

Seems to be a disconnect between Play Store and B&N coding for shortcuts.