Frequent Contributor
CNUcrazy09
0 Kudos

Archived and Nook cloud

I thought these two were the same thing? I have moved stuff to the nook cloud but it does not show up in my archived screen. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Re: Archived and Nook cloud

My guess is that they had to include the archived area so u could see books u may have archived online or in other nook devices. I would also guess that archives section will be phased out at some point in favor of the cloud. Bad part . . . Putting something in the cloud doesn't remove it from books list like it should and likr it does on every other tablet I have. Hope they correct that in the future.
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I still have my Nook Color & what I have been doing is archiving my magazines from that device instead of send them to the Cloud from the HD+. That seems to remove them from the HD+ library. If I move them to the Cloud they still show up on the device. I get a lot of magazines & if left on the device as I  tend to forget I have already read them or accidently click on them & download them again. I really prefer the archiving method but I think we are stuck with the Cloud.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thans56, seacitylady,

I feel the same way - Archiving is much better. What's the point of 'moving to Cloud' if it still clogs up your library pages?

Does anyone know what version the Archiving was removed in? I thought it used to be there earlier on HD and HD+ and now it's gone.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

If you want to keep your older mags, you need to archive them on your nook color. Otherwise they will be gone at the end of the year.
All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

The don't appear to be the same thing.  I can archive from my NC and Cloud from my HD+.  I much prefer the former, where the item disappears but remains on the separate archived shelf. If I send something to the Cloud, it stays there with the little cloud icon; to me, this is uneccesary clutter. I haven't spent a whole lot of time playing with it, but they do appear to be two different functions. For example, I had a magazine whose cover didn't appear on my HD+, although I had the cover on the NC.  Clouding and unclouding it didn't do anything; but archiving it and unarchiving it on the NC did cause the cover to appear on the HD+.

Frequent Contributor
CNUcrazy09
0 Kudos

I agree with you guys. I like having the books that are archived removed from my library Page. That is the point of archiving after all. Hopefully they fix that after the next update.
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

NookyCooky, what are you talking about the magazines will be gone?  I have a nookcolor and Nook HD+ and I have magazines in my library archive that still aren't showing up on the hd+.  Where will the magazines go?! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I wound up making a shelf called All New. I moved all unread books to this shelf. When I buy something I add it to this shelf and here is where igo tp look for something new to read. None of the cloud books show in this shelf and if left on this page, by using nook home button to go home, it will open back tø this shelf instead ofmain library area. Works for me for now. I'm curious about the magazines going away. Why would that happen if u paid for them.
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

2noelle wrote:

NookyCooky, what are you talking about the magazines will be gone?  I have a nookcolor and Nook HD+ and I have magazines in my library archive that still aren't showing up on the hd+.  Where will the magazines go?! :smileyhappy:

Per the B&N Nook FAQ page

Where are old issues of my NOOK Magazines and NOOK Newspapers stored?

In order to keep your NOOK Library on BN.com organized, your oldest back issues will be removed automatically from your NOOK Library as new issues arrive. You have the option to save permanently any issues that you want to keep for future reference.

If your "missing" issues are truly ARCHIVED, the new device will need to access the archive to find them. It is unclear what happens if you unarchive a magazine that is older than the "normal history"...

Safest is probably to pull them down to a computer for backup, and then side-load to an SD card (though once you do that, you may lose the "collection" category -- the entire collection may show up as individual issues.

This wasn't much of a problem with a 1st Edition -- the B&N downloaded content was accessible via USB (though with only a numeric file name) and could be moved to SD card directly (no ARCHIVE on B&N, no worry about losing unarchived back isssues).

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I've had a few magazined archived automatically when I haven't gotten to them in time.  No problems--I just unarchive them and it's fine.  Now, granted, that's with the NC.  I don't know what would happen with the HD/HD+. 

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Wulfraed, do you mind linking this page, I can't fiind it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have been unable to access archived magazines once I cancelled the subscription. Why I cannot is unknown. I haven't pursued it as older articles are available through the magazine web sites.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Inspired Contributor
alliewinter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem accessing magazines after upgrading from NC. If I download my current magazines thru the Nook for Mac how do I know which data file is the magazine. I've got over 800 items and the names all appear to be numbers. I don't care if they're individual issues as long as the titles appear correctly when sideloaded.

I also archived my past issues on my NC when I couldn't get them on my HD+ but that was when I lost my back issues completely. :smileysad:

I also don't feel they should decide for us that we don't need something cluttering up our libraries. I want the option to clean it up myself. The magazine I subscribe to has information that I want to keep indefinitely!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thans....that is exactly what I did.

I never use the Cloud....I prefer archiving and it's benefits.

Frequent Contributor
CNUcrazy09
0 Kudos

So here is my discovery for this morning on this. I went to my HD + to check to see if I had this title in my Archived stuff. I knew I did but just wanted to verify. There is no way on the NOOK HD + to see your already archived items. You can only do that from the other NOOKs or you login account on bn.com. So even when I search my library for the book it doesn't find it, but when I go to shop and search for the title it finds the title and indicates that I have already purchased it. I do not like this feature at all. I like having access to my archived titles at all times.
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]
WRONG! Go to the library. Down at the bottom is an icon (four lines in a stack, I recall); this will bring up a menu that includes an option to view the archive. Archived entries will appear with the "download cloud". What the HD/HD+ lack is a way to add books to the archive.
Baron Wulfraed
New User
carolinagirl64
0 Kudos

the archive feature is still there on Nook HD. you just have to do it from your "online library" on a computer. archive feature is there. then do a refresh on your Nook.
New User
carolinagirl64
0 Kudos

Nook HD tablets can "archive". but you must do it from your online library on a computer.  archive the book there and refresh your nook when done