Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

Is it possible to use your own customized avatar and if so how is this done?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Avatars

Your own customized avatar? Do you mean on this forum or on the Nook?

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

On the Nook.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, you'll have to search. I remember someone mentioning you could add images or perhaps icons to some folder and then they would be available to use for the profile. I'm just not sure where it was. You could try by copying them to a few of the folders like thumbnails and pictures and seeing if that works.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC

[ Edited ]

You copy them to the My Files / Pictures Folder. I have done this multiple times and I have even put images I have resized to 1400x900 in the folder and use them as my wallpaper.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Yes, if you have images in your pictures folder, the avatar chooser will see them. I also have images in my downloads folder that it sees as well. It will ask you to crop to a square, though.
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Ok, so I've noticed that when I connect my Nook hd+ to my computer, that under internal memory, profiles, avatars, there are more images that aren' t showing up on my device. On my device, there are only 15 images and I've counted, at least 5 more different images. How do I get those to show under avatars on my device?
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

On the device, I'm seeing 20. (12 when pull them up, rest when scroll down the page.) What version software are you running?

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Thats not it the. Can you tell which 5 arent visible? The last 5 on my device are kitten, bird, hat/mustache, fush? (not really sure what that is, one of the originals), and an apple.  Are the missing 5 from the bottom, or are they random?

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

I am missing the guitar, rocket, popsicle, teddy bear, and fish. They must be on my device, because they show up when connected to my pc. It's weird, I know.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

That is weird. Can you see them on the device through the Gallery app? 

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

No I cannot see them in the gallery app, either.
New User
Wickdknight

On my Nook HD this is how I put my own photo as my profile picture

Take a picture in jpg format and save it in the following folder (connected computer to nook via the 32 usb)

Computer\MyNOOK\Internal Storage\My Files\WallpaperHelper

edit profile – choose change image – choose wall paper helper under gallery vs avatars

select your photo – you will be asked to crop and save.  That’s it your done.  I hope this helps as I just spent a while figuring this out myself.

Reader
momcatks
0 Kudos

Thank you for the instructions - it worked.  They really should make the manuals more user friendly and give the instructions on how it should be done instead of it can be done.

New User
salkin
0 Kudos

none of these things worked for me. i don't have a "wallpaperhelper" folder and creating one didn't make any difference either. the only pictures the nook offers for avatars are the ones preloaded on the nook.  any suggestions?

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

salkin, the wallpaperhelper folder is a hidden file, so make sure you have your file explorer set to view hidden files. Creating a folder may not have the correct attributes that the nook OS is looking for.

New User
salkin
0 Kudos

hey, thanks for your reply. my computer is already set to show all folders/files, so unless there  is something extra that has to be done to show it on the nook, the folder just doesn't exist on my nook

New User
salkin
0 Kudos

nevermind. i still don't have the folder, but it detects from other folders. just for some reason it refuses to detect the jpg i sent as a test for avatars, though it shows up on the nook when browsing files