Contributor
Dyte
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

BBC iplayer = blank screen

Good evening fellow Nook owners.

Got a brand new Nook HD+ and the first problem I'm finding is that BBC iplayer will play sound, but will only give me a blank screen (all black). I have checked I have up to date BBC iplayer and BBC Media player. I have emptied the cache from both.

It did work briefly, but after powering up the device fully, I can't get a moving picture any more...

Any ideas or helpful suggestions, please?

Thank you.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Re: BBC iplayer = blank screen

Hi Dyte, Are you using the iplayer app or accessing iplayer on your browser?

Contributor
Dyte
0 Kudos

Hi Albion Rose (lovely name, BTW)

Thank you for responding.

I downloaded the latest update for the Nook HD+ (ver 2.2.0) and now BBC iplayer works both in browser and app.

So that seems to have sorted the problem for me! Hooray!

I was just looking at the ITV player on their website, and it says "not compatible with your device"...is this correct?

It asked if I wanted to try in Google Chrome or Play store. Is this what you were alluding to in your post? Is that the same as trying it either in browser or via app?

Which is it best to go with to try and get it working?

Would it run if I was running my nook with a full android (CyanogenMod) interface?

The Nook HD+ is brand new to me and I'd rather not start messing around with changing the interface right away...

Anyway, thanks again for your offer of help.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I'm glad that it's working for you :smileyhappy:

The HD+ will not allow you to install Apps from external sources, like websites.  You can only easily download Apps from the B&N store or Google Play Store.  

There is a way of sideloading Apps using ADB, which is fine if you are technologically minded enough to get ADB working on your pc. If you put ADB HD into the search box you should get the threads which give more detail on this method.

The ITV App is available from Google Play Store, but the description says its designed for phones, and I get a 'your device is not compatible' warning when I look at it. From the reviews we aren't missing much! You can watch live ITV using the confusingly named 'TVCatchup' App, also in Google Play store.

Contributor
Dyte
0 Kudos

Thank you again for your very prompt reply!

Yeah, the bbc iplayer is by far the most important 'catch-up' TV service to me, with the very best of British TV.

ITV lags waaaay behind in quality.

So, (as not the most technically minded user) I should look to be downloading apps only from the B&N store/Google Play store. That's good to know!

As a general point, is it best to try and view these types of services on the HD+ through the app or via the Chrome web browser?

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

I did run my HD+ with a N2A card for a while - this acted as a boot disk and gave me a full Jellybean interface.  From there I could change the settings to allow App downloads from other locations.

My main reason for doing this was that the early Nook interface & native apps were really buggy and I had no access to Flash/ Iplayer on the device.  Once the major bugs were resolved and I had access to Google Play Store, I removed the card & now run the device using Nook interface.

There were a number of threads abour N2A, AFN and a way to do it yourself using instructions from XDA, so putting any of these terms into the search box should uncover them if you are interested. 

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

I tend to use the App because it's designed for tablets, but I would try both and see which you prefer.

Contributor
Dyte
0 Kudos

Thank you Albion Rose, for helping me out with your advice and experience, it's much appreciated.

Good to hear that you are happy with the later versions of the Nook HD's native software, and don't feel the need to run it via Cyanogenmod any more. As I will be mainly just browsing and reading and watching videos, I suspect the native Nook software will be sufficient for my needs, too.

Would the same principal go for browsers like Nova Launcher, Dolphin, etc. Some Nook users say these speed up their HDs performance, and I'd imagine installing these is less of a big step than switching to Cyanogenmod.

I'm just wary of bugs with this type of thing, especially if the gain is small.

As a sidenote, what is the best source material (particular articles or threads) you would point me in the direction of for learning to get the best out of my Nook HD+, e.g, which are the most popular and useful apps, fixing the most common problems, that sort of thing...save me bothering you with endless questions!

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Nova Launcher and Dolphin are more of a personal preference.  I use Dolphin browser as I like to have flash available to watch news videos on BBC, and I got a techie mate with ADB on his laptop to sideload flash for me when I got my HD+ over a year ago.

Nova and Dolphin are Apps, available from Google Play store, and basic versions are free.  Try them out, and if you don't like them just uninstall them.

I would say that this forum is the best source for tips and work arounds.  Some of the forum members are expert users in certain areas - for example Compulsivereader knows all about Calibre, LaurieB52 is a mine of info on movies, and many other users have had Nooks for years and have shared some great tips. Use the Search box and put in key words and HD so you get HD/HD+ specific threads.

So for example typing in  Must Have Apps HD gets you threads about Apps.

And if you can't find anything, post a question. People don't mind helping out - if they did they wouldn't post!

Enjoy getting to know your HD+ :smileyhappy: