Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

BROWSER KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN! Grumbling BIG Time

I love my NOOK HD+.  I don't regret buying it... yet.  It's been working pretty well since I bought it and I haven't suffered at all from many of the issues others have posted about like disappearing shelves and I am grateful for that. 

HOWEVER - I'm starting to experience several problems on the NOOK HD+ that are really making it very unpleasant to use my NOOK.  One of them is that lately my browser keeps shutting down for no apparent reason at all.  At first it was only occasionally and usually when I had the max number of tabs open with some of them still open from days ago, but now it's happening frequently with only a couple of tabs open.  Usually, the same tabs will be there when I go back in, but sometimes all my tabs are gone except for the home page.  Rebooting does not seem to have any positive effect.

Are others experiencing this?  Anyone have any ideas what may be cause and solution?

Contributor
MINPINROSIE
0 Kudos

Re: BROWSER KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN! Grumbling BIG Time

Seems like it.'s happening rightnow. And I tried same things with no change.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Have you cleared your browser cache or history lately? 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

BFH-CA: Hi it's me again, I spoke to you in another thread. Concerning NookGardener's suggestion I agree the cache might be the problem. The cache settings are found in the Browser Settings under Privacy Settings. Also may I recommend the 3rd party browser that I am using, Dolphin? It is absolutely free in the app shop and there is a setting that will clear cache and history automatically upon exiting the app.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'll second Schwa's suggestion to use Dolphin Browser.

The clearing cache thing has fixed browser crash issues for some people.

There's also a Puffin Browser and Maxthon browser.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

This happens on my HD+ also.  I thought clearing the cache would address the problem, but it did not.  I would switch to Dolphin and Maxthon and they also would crash.  Puffin is the only browser that has not had this problem.   For me, the problem comes and goes.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookGardener wrote:

Have you cleared your browser cache or history lately? 

Yes - tried clearing the cache but did not help. Thanks for suggestion, though.

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

DonMN wrote:

This happens on my HD+ also.  I thought clearing the cache would address the problem, but it did not.  I would switch to Dolphin and Maxthon and they also would crash.  Puffin is the only browser that has not had this problem.   For me, the problem comes and goes.

Thanks for suggestions.  Might try Puffin. 

New User
Kim78
0 Kudos

Yes, mine just started doing this about 3 months ago.  However, mine says the battery is dead.  When I plug it in it comes right back up and says 90% charged, but if you unplug it, it will dye and shut off.  I'm not sure what to do.  I love my Nook HD+, only had it a little over a year.  Don't know if I should buy a new one, replace the battery or switch to Kindal.  If someone figures out how to fix this, please let me know.  Thank you.

Contributor
wildb
0 Kudos

Is your Library syncing when this happens?  This is what I experence everyday when I wake up my Nook hd+ and approxmately every half hour or less after that. After it runs through its cycle then all is good until it syncs again.

I also had a update to the chrome browser that seemed to help a little as well.

Willdb