Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes and Nobles is adding the Google Play Store to Nook HD and HD+

I would say to Zinio, CNET reviewed the new software and says we will be able to download the Kindle app.

mrskooshie
Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie

OTA update is out, just finished downloading to my HD+ and is installing now :smileylol:

mrskooshie
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

vamachinist wrote:

As a newbie looking to potentially purchase a Nook HD, what exactly will this do for the Nook HD?  Will I be able to use all Google apps?  Would it be possible to use an app such as Zinio for reading Zinio magazines on the Nook HD, which it could not do with the pre-Googleplay enabled firmware? 

I am just not sure if this news is really as exciting as people make it out to be because while it opens up Google's marketplace which is a great thing (don't get me wrong), but is this one step alone giving you nearly full Android functionality, like you would get from an Android tablet? 

Yes to Google Apps, yes to Zinio, and the NOOK HD Series are effectively full Android Tablets with this update (albiet without a camera and GPS). 

There's people who would say that BN's skin means it's not "real" Android, but unless you have a Nexus you're not using "stock" Android anyway. Samsung has TouchWiz (*twitch*), HTC has Sense, and BN has whatever the hell we want to call their skin. Outside of that, same functionality.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Considering the probs some people seem to be having think I'll just be patient & wait for auto-update to save myself some grief.
Contributor
Fred_
0 Kudos

I notice some apps are missing from Google Play store with the 2.1 update,  for instance, there is an app called repeaterbook that doesn't show up in a search but when I search for it using other devices it finds it.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I am soooo glad I was patient & just waited for the "air" update! It took me 5 minutes & was problem free!

Too tired to mess with things tonight but I do have a couple of questions. 

Gmail App

I noticed one of the new apps is for gmail. I already have gmail set up as one of the accounts in the native Nook email. In view of this what would I gain by activating the gmail app?

Chrome

I currently use the Dolphin browser. Is it possible to import my bookmarks into Chrome? I use IE 10 on my computer. I know I can export those bookmarks to an HTM file. Is it possible to import that into the Chrome browser my copying the file to my Nook?  

Contributor
vamachinist
0 Kudos

Thanks, FT. I know the Nook doesn't come with the camera (not a big deal) or the GPS function (THAT would be handy to have, though), but I meant the "rest" of it, which you very well answered my main concern.  My only experience with Android is via my wife's cell phone and I was just wondering if this one feature (i.e. the Google Play) now brought the Nook HD up to the Android functionality level similar to her phone (of course it goes without saying that the Nook HD can't be used as a phone, but my wife's phone is like a micro Android tablet).

The reason I don't like the Nexus is that they don't come with the capability to expand the memory.  The memory expansion is more important to me than the GPS capabilty (which is the main tradeoff between the Nook HD and the Nexus, IMHO).  Looking past the lower cost but well made tablets (to clarify that I am talking about the Nook HD/Nexus class of "low cost" tablets and not the no-name clone tablets), Samsung's 7" tablets just don't have enough native memory, IMHO and are expensive by comparison. 

Paul

Contributor
itsabirditsaplane
0 Kudos

am i the only one who ran to these boards soo excited to have the update and all the stuff that came with it that i was going to praise and thank b&n for the update? call me a noob or anything else but i really didnt know that google was going to be installed in the update. i just hit update and bam i wake up this morning with all this added stuff. in our home we have a nexus 10 a nexus 7 and a nook hd. i take to the hd because of the books. the e reader and overdrive app and space for the books. but as i sit right now out of all three that we do have i think right now the nook is wayyyy better. best "free friday" surprise ive had in a long time. thanks b&n

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

I downloaded Nova Launcher from the Play Store and added wallpapers and 3d weather widget app.

You can switch back to the b&n launcher if you want but I see no need for me personally.

I am in hog heaven!

Contributor
bfollowell
0 Kudos

The only (slight) drawback that I see is that, from what I've heard, side-loading apps is still blocked. Though with access to the Play store, I don't know that I see much of a need for side-loading. There's not nearly as much need to root now. I may actually remove root and wipe my unit and go back to stock now that this is an option.

Thanks B&N.

- Byron Followell

Reader 2
0 Kudos

OK.. How soon will this be done.. I am disgusted with the HD+ at this point....can't do anything except NOOK aps.. rip off ... please get the updates to me ASAP
Bibliophile
laurieb52

You can download the update immediately.Tap on "Settings", then tap on "All Settings",then tap on "Device Information", then tap on "Softare version", "check for updates"

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

itsabird

I have a nexus 7 and i also feel HD is much better. Now, with Google Play Store added it obviously becomes markedly better.

Of course, some 'purists' will want stock Android. Not sure why. Stocky Android on Nexus 7 seems ugly and inelegant to me.

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos

does anyone knowif we will be able to watch movies purchased from play store on tv using the nook dongle?

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

Well that's a good question but I would think that if the movie is on your nook you should be able to.  I might give it a try.

mrskooshie
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Works great.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ

Well I had to add Puffin browser paid version to get Flash in able to play Amazon Videos. I am a prime member with them and so the small price I had to pay for Puffin is worth it.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you purchased an app, movie, etc via the Play Store and Nook has it in their store for a higher price, I am out of luck so far. I tried several things and no luck, I do not think I am doing anything wrong trying to access what I had previously bought. I get an error messge in the Play Store that it is not compatible.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Really?

How many movies did you get this with?

Are you sure it's not just a coincidence. They wouldn't do any sort of 'exclusion list'. Just the programming for it would be prohibitive (to check prices and compare etc.). Also, how are you trying to watch movies you bought from Google Play?