Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Battery Life on HD+

I have both a Nook Color & a Nook HD+ 32 gig. I have noticed that there appears to be a fairly significant difference between the two in the use time I am getting from a charge. I was told when I purchased the HD+ that the battery life would be longer but this has not proved  to be the case. For instance I fully charged both devices overnight on Wed (it's Friday am now). The wi-fi was on both & brightness set at the factory default. Both devices were off the charger until last night about 10pm. At that time the NC was @ 93% charge & the HD+ @ 62%. I read for about an hour on the HD+ & the battery was down to 44%. Aside from checking the battery indicator I did not use the NC. Both were off the charger overnight. This morning the NC is @ 83% & the HD+ was @ 33%.

I have not tested the devices in airplane mode but I am sure I will probably not get anything close to the 10 hours of reading time BN says I will get on the H+. I was going to try & sell the NC but think I will keep it to use for trips when I may have to be off the charger for an extended period of time. I am wondering what other people's experience has been & if the performance I am seeing is normal?

Contributor
bookstothemax

Re: Battery Life on HD+

My Nook hd+ stays charged all day even after watching a movie or shows on Netflix, surfing web and reading. I recharge my Nook hd+ typically when I get the 15% battery charge indicator. Battery life seems to be on point thus far.
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

Sounds to me like the difference is because you were actively using the HD+ in comparison to the NC which basically just sat all day.

I take my HD+ to work most days in hopes of a slow day and being able to use it on breaks to read, but if that doesn't happen, my battery will last all day because it just sits unused in my bag. Battery life when I get home is in the 90% range. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Make sure you have the powersave option checked on your HD. Also check your apps under settings/applications/myapps to see if any are demanding full access to email,internet, etc., as they can contribute to battery drain. Several apps, including wordoff,  always run in the background. Pay special attention to apps that are specific to the HD.

Setting display brightness lower will also extend your battery life. The default setting is pretty bright.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

The only time I used the HD+ all day was to read for an hour. During that time it went from 62% to 44%.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What laurieb said.

What usually happens with WiFi is that it gets turned off when screen goes off. However, there are some apps

Apps that read news.

Apps like WordOff that check for new apps from same developer to advertise to you.

etc.

That will keep WiFi turned on and keep checking.

If you have an app like that, then it might be keeping WiFi on permanently and causing the battery drain.

The drop in 1 hour to reading is way too much.

You can go to Settings and Applications and see what apps are listed. Let us know the list and we can tell you which app might be causing issues.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Email!

Periodic checking for new messages via WiFi.
Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I would say that battery life on my + is a bit less than on my NT. I attribute that to higher clock speed and because the processor is pushing more pixels. When a graphics intensive app, like plants vs zombies is played the difference is more dramatic.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Mine is slightly better than my NT; I've been getting about 8 hours of solid reading time out of it;  or about 6 hours if watching a video/web surfing/listening to music. I tend to leave wi- fi on at all times, but keep the brightness level low.

After a year of use, I was only getting about 4 hours of reading time out of my NT, but never got more than 6 hours.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I get significantly better time on my HD+ than I do on my NC. And my wifi is almost on my HD+ and I rarely have it on my NC.

Both get charged every night if I've been using them during the day. I've yet had to recharge my HD+ during the day yet and often had to recharge my NC during the day. Sometimes during very slow times at work, I have hours to read waiting for something to do once I've already cleaned and organized in my boredom. (It's a tradeoff, there are days I don't even get to sit down.)

Bibliophile
5ivedom

For me HD and HD+ are much better than Color and Tablet.

I often forget to charge my devices. However, HD and HD+ have never (in the 1.5 months so far) dropped a lot in charge when left unplugged.

Color and Tablet I'll often see just 9% or so left after a day or two of being left unplugged. Might also be apps that I'm running.

However, it seems HD and HD+ have better memory management when not being used or perhaps better batteries. It might also be that they are new.

Email App is a good idea. That might be what is causing WiFi use. If you go to your settings there should be a setting for Email App about how often it checks for email.