Contributor
FLJhawk
0 Kudos

Battery Life

I have recently purchased a Nook HD+, after having a Nook Color since they were introduced.  I've noticed there seems to be more battery drain when the HD+ is at rest than I would expect.  Overnight, the battery drains from 15% -30%, while asleep, with no use.  Is this a normal amount?  I've had my new Nook for about 3 weeks, and just recently found the actual battery useage meter.   

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Battery Life

Well, IMO, that's too much battery usage for idle, but I'm a battery miser. :smileywink:

If you dont already own some kind of battery usage app, go to settings, device info, then battery. Tap on battery again and it will give you a breakdown of whats using your battery since the last charge. Many (all?) things google seem to be set to default the sync settings so they are very frequent (in some cases, every 5 minutes.) Its going to try to sync whether you are using your device or idle. 

There's a couple of threads on this somewhere. From what I remember, you need to get GP auto sync off, turn off GP auto update apps. Then check the settings for every app you've installed. And maybe widgets too. They seem to update a lot. I'm sure I forgot something. Look for threads on this.

Contributor
FLJhawk
0 Kudos

Thanks so much. It does look like google accounts for much of my battery use. I will alter the sync time and see if that helps. Thanks so much NookGardener!
Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

Hmm I am on day 11 since my last charge, I have used it every one of those days to check my email. Do as NookGardener suggested it should help some.

Contributor
FLJhawk
0 Kudos

Wow, now I am wondering if something else might be going on, as I don't get anywhere near that kind of battery life.  In fact, using it to read a bit, check my mail, and use the internet for maybe 30 minutes -- maybe two hours of use, and I am down around 50% from 100%.  

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Location Services - turn that one off as well. Should help improve your battery life too. 

It sounds like apps are still running/syncing in the background. 

Contributor
FLJhawk
0 Kudos

I do have the location services turned off -- turned them off the day I received the Nook. I will do some more checking, as you are probably right about the apps. I assume there are apps that will help track what is running? Thanks so much for the help.
Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

In addition to the recommendations in this thread and others, there have been some posts recommending the following app (which you can get at the Google Play Store) and I have found it to be very useful:

Clean Master (Cleaner) by KS Mobile
Contributor
FLJhawk
0 Kudos

I jsut downloaded Clean Master (and did on my phone, as well!).  I'll see what I can find out.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Inspired Contributor
Skylark96
0 Kudos

Very helpful! Thank you! I read the entire Instruction Manual that comes with my Nook HD and nowhere did I see that tapping on Battery brings up another (and more informative!) screen.