Contributor
BebeFleur13
0 Kudos

Battery

Anyone experiencing major battery loss with the 2.1 update? I usually don't have to charge mine for a while, but it is losing battery fast. And charging is taking a longgg time. Usually my nook charges super fast.

Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

Re: Battery

I'm also experiencing this.  It still happens even with an app killer which should stop some apps from constantly searching the internet for new updates or such.  It took somewhat less juice when I turned off my wifi.  My nook also takes a good 2 hours to charge.  

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think its all the Google stuff running in the background. I have app killer and usually see 4 google entries running. Battery now runs down twice a day instead of charging once. I had installed a couple games from Google but after I closed them, they still showed as running in the background. after killing them, some actually showed right back up. I ended up uninstalling them.
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Mine's the same as it was before. I charged it on Friday morning and got the 15% warning at lunchtime today. 2.5 days was pretty average with my usage.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

It probably depends on whether you are connected to your wifi or not. Connected, it doesn't last nearly as long unfortunately. Since most of what I read is online, my HD+ is online all day and evening. I charged during last night and right now, it has only 29% of it's battery left. :smileysad:
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

campyrs wrote:
It probably depends on whether you are connected to your wifi or not. Connected, it doesn't last nearly as long unfortunately. Since most of what I read is online, my HD+ is online all day and evening. I charged during last night and right now, it has only 29% of it's battery left. :smileysad:

I always leave mine connected to wifi so I guess that's not an issue for me!

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

How interesting! I wonder what the difference is?
Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld

I'm doing a brief test tonight so I'll answer if it's resolved tomorrow.  What I did was to uninstall apps that constantly searched for updates or changes.  These include the new Wallpaper app and Viggle.  I fully recharged the battery.  3 hours later and I've only read a few pages - down to 98%.  Last night it discharged from 100% to 25% overnight so I'll see and report back.

Correspondent
ewilson1114

[ Edited ]

campyrs wrote:
How interesting! I wonder what the difference is?

Well I just checked my HD+ again and its at only 56% battery when I just charged it this afternoon! I checked the Active Apps in App Killer and there were 4 google processes, 1 android, 1 barnes and noble, and twitter and bejeweled blitz. Usually I only see like 3-ish google/android processes so taht was a bit high for me.

Edited to add: I just checked the battery usage details and apparently a process called "Mediaserver" was running for 2 hr 6 min. Apparently its connected to Google Play Music http://www.connect-utb.com/2012/07/buggy-android-mediaserver-draining-your-battery/

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

mediaserver was a problem at launch - it indexes all files on your device and is resource intensive until it is done. a big one for me is google maps / google location services. only enable location access whem you're actually using it - otherwise maps constantly does its thing in the background.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:
mediaserver was a problem at launch - it indexes all files on your device and is resource intensive until it is done. a big one for me is google maps / google location services. only enable location access whem you're actually using it - otherwise maps constantly does its thing in the background.

Thanks for the tip! I don't plan ro ever use Google maps on my HD+ as its on my iPhone so I will go ahead and disable location services I guess.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

This is a follow-up to my previous post about battery power.  Just to summarize: 

1.  Saturday night, I went from 100% to about 25% without touching my nook

2.  Sunday I installed the App Killer program and found some programs that constantly search for new updates or activity, even after I killed them (yes, these apps came back to life)

3.  I could not disable the apps so, because they were free, I uninstalled these apps that constantly checked the internet then recharged my battery to 100%.

Monday morning rolled around and I noticed my percent didn't change at all - still full.  If it changes at all from my normal use I'll give another shout.  This seems to be the culprit though.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for updating. Could you please let us know what the free apps were?

Contributor
Bremen72
0 Kudos

I am trying Juice Defender on mine, it gives you a little bit more control over when apps can update.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

MyOwnLittleWorld wrote:

This is a follow-up to my previous post about battery power.  Just to summarize: 

1.  Saturday night, I went from 100% to about 25% without touching my nook

2.  Sunday I installed the App Killer program and found some programs that constantly search for new updates or activity, even after I killed them (yes, these apps came back to life)

3.  I could not disable the apps so, because they were free, I uninstalled these apps that constantly checked the internet then recharged my battery to 100%.

Monday morning rolled around and I noticed my percent didn't change at all - still full.  If it changes at all from my normal use I'll give another shout.  This seems to be the culprit though.

There are a ton of App Killer apps when searching Google Play.  What is the specific one you use?  I know I could just try a bunch until I find one I like but if there is one that someone here likes I'll try that one first.

Thanks.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

I tried Advanced App Killer.  After I clicked to kill the apps, I reoped this app a few minutes later and there were the apps searching again.

I had a longer list of apps that drained my battery but specifically they were Backgrounds HD Wallpapers and Viggle.  There were a few more but I can't recall any now.

I am noticing that my recharge time takes longer than it used to.  This morning at 7:30 am (US central) I was at 85% at at 9:00 I'm at 95%.  Before I could charge this little bit in no time.  Something appears to be up.

I'll be glad to try a better, proven app killer suggestion.  My goal with apps though is not to use my reader as a play-thing but just gives me a break from reading.

Thanks for the help!

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

The battery on my HD+ has always drained much faster then my Nook Color. I took it off the charger last night & read for a half-hour. This morning I was @ 65%. I do leave the wifi on & haven't tried the app killer yet but will do so, Turning off wifi does not seem to make a lot of difference. I have to charge it every night even if I only use it for a couple of hours @ most. My NC can go for days & I always have the wifi on that as well.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld

Apologies for the constant input to this thread but I try to document problems as they appear then test why things happen.  I recently installed the app Advanced App Killer which should give more control about killing apps.  In its setting menu it let me select to kill apps every minute.  I also noted the time (30 minutes ago) and that the battery was at 95%.  I killed all the apps listed except the Library (nook app) and Advanced Task Manager.  It is now at 92% battery and the basic Google apps installed with the update are constantly searching for updates.  Specifically these are Maps, Google Plus, Talk and Google Play. 

I would prefer the ability to tell an app installed with the update to NOT constantly go out and update unless I chose.  From what I can tell it does this on its own.

Thanks for your patience but I think this may be why batteries are discharging so quickly and not charging as before.

Correspondent
ewilson1114

MyOwnLittleWorld wrote:

Apologies for the constant input to this thread but I try to document problems as they appear then test why things happen.  I recently installed the app Advanced App Killer which should give more control about killing apps.  In its setting menu it let me select to kill apps every minute.  I also noted the time (30 minutes ago) and that the battery was at 95%.  I killed all the apps listed except the Library (nook app) and Advanced Task Manager.  It is now at 92% battery and the basic Google apps installed with the update are constantly searching for updates.  Specifically these are Maps, Google Plus, Talk and Google Play. 

I would prefer the ability to tell an app installed with the update to NOT constantly go out and update unless I chose.  From what I can tell it does this on its own.

Thanks for your patience but I think this may be why batteries are discharging so quickly and not charging as before.

Open the Google Play Store and go to the My Apps page (click on the down arrow symbol next to the search symbol in the upper right corner). Scroll down the "Installed" list to the Google apps. If you click on the apps you should see an option to "Allow automatic updating". Uncheck that box and maybe it will help? I have no idea if it will but its worth trying! Hope the instructions make sense.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

Ewilson1114, I did exactly what you said and hoped that it fixed it.  But it didn't.  I still have Advanced Task Manager going in the background but the maps, google+ still comes up in the "kill" list however those apps are terminated within 1 minute.  In addition, I noticed that within 4 hours the battery went down from 92% to 77% without touching the device.  I have done what you said and wish that this resolved it.  Gave you a kudo for your help though!:smileyhappy:  My gut feeling is that BN will have to do another update or tweak it to fix this problem.  Because I don't have an android I do not have a comparison as to whether smart phones behave this same way.