Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Battery

Is the "disable" option available in Settings...   My Apps for Google Maps? If so, that'll stop it from waking up and polling.

Also, if you haven't disabled location services yet, definitely do so - with location services enabled my phone drains a lot faster as the device is waking up, polling all the access points it can hear and then comparing the results to the Google database to decide where it is. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Doesnt "Allow for automatic updating" refer to the updating of an app, from say version 1.2 to 1.3? (Unchecking it is probably a good idea though -- see what's in the update prior to loading it.)

As far as battery usage, mines the same or better. About 10% per hour when using the web (I flip thru things fast though, have done the same to ipad too.) On idle, wifi off, 10 hours later, used 1%. But the only thing I let run in background is a battery % meter.

Ditto what roustabout said about turning off location services.  Another thing you might want to try for apps that you arent really using, but keep turning on. Clear the cache on each offending app. It worked with twitter anyway so it wouldnt keep running in the background. Hope that helps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

the problem is with updates to apps available both from bn and from play which may be tailored in the bn version.

play will overwrite the bn app if you let it, but you may not want to let it.  if you paid for an ad-free app and play has an ad based but newer release, or in this case it may be that the play app uses a worse audio stream.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, this whole thing of Play Store trying to overwrite apps is very annoying. It keeps downloading Netflix and trying to overwrite the Nook one. Not sure why all the Google PhDs couldn't write a check which says - If user has declined once, then stop trying.

Correspondent
ewilson1114

MyOwnLittleWorld wrote:

Ewilson1114, I did exactly what you said and hoped that it fixed it.  But it didn't.  I still have Advanced Task Manager going in the background but the maps, google+ still comes up in the "kill" list however those apps are terminated within 1 minute.  In addition, I noticed that within 4 hours the battery went down from 92% to 77% without touching the device.  I have done what you said and wish that this resolved it.  Gave you a kudo for your help though!:smileyhappy:  My gut feeling is that BN will have to do another update or tweak it to fix this problem.  Because I don't have an android I do not have a comparison as to whether smart phones behave this same way.

Aw man I'm sorry it didn't work! Did roustabout's suggestions work? I found that disabling location services seems to have really helped with my battery issue.

Reader 4
EEis4Me

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread.  I noticed my battery died within 4 hours of my first charge as well and I bought the Advanced App Killer as well.  I disabled the location finder and all the google play apps except for contacts.  I am now experiencing amazing battery life.  I charged the nook last week Sunday night and have been reading every night for an hour or so.  I am still at 70%.  Amazing, thank you for all your help everyone.

Retro 51 Pens "Life's too short for an ugly pen"
Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee
0 Kudos

It can't help that, while on Wi-Fi, my nook HD+ appears to be syncing my library every 30-60 seconds. This  is obvious from the status message that appears near the top right of the display. Is anybody else seeing syncing this frequently? Is there any way to reduce frequency of syncing in settings?

Bibliophile
5ivedom

EEis4ME, great to hear you're getting amazing battery life.

Mr-Weatherbee (keep thinking of Archie) - I don't know any way to change how often it syncs. I get syncing message every time I turn on the screen of my HD+ but not every 30-60 seconds.

Just check and see if you have any apps or books stuch in 'downloading' status. If so, see if you can hide them in your profile or send them to the Cloud.