Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

Broken LCD Replacements for Nook HD and HD+

Hello everyone, I am trying to see if there is a large "NEED" for replacement LCD's for your Noook HD and Nook HD+ Tablets as I am seeing a lot of people out of luck and a complete disregard by Barnes & Noble on replacing a broken LCD unless you bought the grossly expensive additional warranty...typical of an American Corporation...and yes I am one that did not pay for an additional warranty and only have use of half the screen on my Nook HD+. I am currently talking with a Chinese company of possibly providing the LCD replacements for your Nook HD and HD+ so just give me a reply so I can get an idea of how many of us are out here that dont have any other option than to buy a brand new Nook HD or HD+.

Ronnie D.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18

Typical of an American Consumer?

Althor18 wrote:

... a complete disregard by Barnes & Noble on replacing a broken LCD unless you bought the grossly expensive additional warranty...typical of an American Corporation...

If it's broken and was a the fault of B&N, the existing one-year warranty covers that, since the HD/HD+ are less than one year old.

Given the price of an extended warranty, compared to the current cost of a brand new Nook, I think most buyers are willing to take their chances.  I certainly am with regard to virtually all purchases, and it has saved me a lot of money.

Remember, warranties are not free;  they cost the monufacturer money.  Don't say "good will", that costs the manufacturer money as well.

We see people here who are on their 3rd of 4th cable, power supply, Nook Glow, etc.  Given the general quality of the Nooks and accessories, such 3rd or 4th replacement is not statistically reasonable for a manufacturer problem.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
Althor18

Re: Typical of an American Consumer?

Hello Dean, I am talking about people like myself that dropped it accidently or stepped on it of which happens alot...your children getting a hold of it..etc. Those OEM Replacements can be had as cheap as $40.00 a piece direct from China with a minimal order. The Nook HD and HD+ are relatively easy to take apart and replace the LCD...much easier than say an Ipad 1-4. I had my Nook HD+ apart in less than 20mins. There is no reason that a Nook Employee at the store couldnt replace those LCD's with a 1-3day turnaround and very little training. I know that Barnes & Noble themselves could have those OEM Replacement LCD's for a heck of a lot less than $40.00....but hell, why not make your customer pay for an additional warranty, or just make them buy a brand new one if they opt out of the additional warranty. The Kindle, Kindle HD, and Nexus 7 LCD's can all be replaced for less than $100.00.....only the Nook HD and HD+ Consumers have no recourse without the additional warrany.....excellent way to take care of your customers:smileyhappy:

New User
henryparker

Re: Broken LCD Replacements for Nook HD and HD+

I did not purchase the warranty for my daughter's nook hd.  Unfortunately my mother accidentially dropped something on it and cracked the screen. Spoke to Barnes and noble and they told me without the extended warranty there is nothing they can do.  I have a Samsung tablet and I am able to have the parts replaced by Samsung for a price.  I will advise people not to purchase Barnes and Noble products because they are unable to support their customers.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

B&N hasn't ever had a service department to fix any hardware, to my knowledge. You can probably find a third party dealer that would be willing to take on the project, for a fee. The extended warranty won't get your current, broken device fixed. It will get you a replacement. If you were careless with your device, that's on you, not B&N.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Household insurance policy may cover accidental damage to your device - but your excess may be close to the price of buying a replacement.....

New User
Hung85

Hi Althor18,

I'm currently  having a Nook HD+ with broken LCD. Sadly I'm not in US so I can not take it to B & N warranty centre where they said they would swap it for me for a refurbished one. I read you commented that customers can find $40 LCD replacement from China, can you point me to the seller ? I tried searching for quite a while now but still cant find any. A seller from Alibaba does have LCD replacement for $40, but the shipping cost is another $35 ...

Many thanks in advance,

Duy Hung

Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

Unfortunately they are the only ones I know about. What I did was buy one off Ebay that didnt work anymore for parts for $35.00 and just swapped out my LCD. It is actually pretty easy to take apart.

Reader 4
Dawnw6
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Did you have any luck finding someone to sell you the LCD screen for your Nook HD+? 

I am looking to replace my screen too.  Please pass along any info that may be helpful.

Thank you!

dawn

Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

It is cheaper to just buy a used nook hd/hd+ off of ebay..you can get the lcd's from China but it will run $40.00plus $30.00 to ship from alibaba..look for a broken nook on ebay or pick one up cheap now..I have seen them as low as $70.00 on ebay for an hd+
New User
Thinking209
0 Kudos

Re: Broken LCD Replacements for Nook HAD and HAD+

I would love to know how you broke it down and replaced the screen. I refuse to buy a new one and would rather fix it than through the money out the window. I have searched far and wide to find someone that will replace the screen. I will just do it myself but I am scared I will get the wrong part or do it wrong and break it even more. Barnes and Noble in my opinion should be ashamed of themselves to not offer the chance for people that did not buy the warranty to get their tablets fixed for a price. I know I will never buy another tablet from them again if I can not fix this one.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Replacement parts policies.

First, for decades, the cost of repairing most modern consumer electronics (parts, labor, and implied warranty on the repair) usually exceeds the cost of a replacement.  That's why most warranty "repairs" are in effect replacements;  it's usualy cheaper for the company.

Second, given the above, stocking repair parts for the very small numbers of customers to do their own repairs, is a very tiny market, even ignoring the skills necessary.

Third, you gambled ie, no extended warrany) and lost.  If you read the various threads here, you won't get much sympathy from people who paid for the extended warranty.

Fourth, there are those who are willing to track down other broken devices nad have the skills to swap parts to create a working device.  Here's the good news:  you don't have to be one of them.  I have, on several occasions, sold broken devices on eBay to such people.  I clearly state the problem with the device.  Then, with the money I receive, plus some extra, I buy a new device (with a new warranty).

Case in point:  I had a Garmin GPS ($225) which I accidentally dropped and cracked the LCD screen, but still worked.  Garmin said that the repair would be $125, but I sold it on eBay for $75.  Now yes, Garmin had a repair policy, but even if they hadn't, I'm sure someone with a dead device but intact screen, would have bought it.  There are lots of people selling broken items on eBay.  It's up to you whether you want to buy one and do the repair, or sell yours and have someone else do it.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

It wasnt very hard to take apartbut then again i am pretty good with taking things apart and putting them back together. I broke Two of them so far. One of them I replaced the lcd/digitizer and the 2nd one I bought used for $80.00 on auction at Ebay. All your stuff is saved in your Barnes and Noble account online anyway so you dont lose anything. The one I bought off Ebay came with a 1-year warranty against defect so it was easier to go that route the second time instead of replacing the lcd again.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Althor (and others),

I'm curious....how did you break the screen?  I've had a NC and now have an HD and have dropped them several times to rather hard surfaces.  Granted, none of the drops were more than about 3,.5 feet.  What does it take to break the screen?  Just want to know so I can avoid it....

Peace,

Jeremy

Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

The 1st time I had one of those NooK Covers on it that you get from Barnes and Noble and in the corners at the outside where you slip the elastic binds on it I dropped it from about 4ft and it landed on the exposed corner and it cracked on the corner about 3in up..the second time I left it on the roof of my truck when putting stuff in the truck and forgot about it and it slid down the windshield and hood to the ground..lol..stupid mistake. I wish they made the gumdrop cases for them..just not enough money in it for them I guess. In the end I should have been just a bit more careful but shit happens sometimes...

New User
macypurtle
0 Kudos

I have 2000 nooks purchased for a large high school. Right now, I have about 15 screens that need to be replaced and the shops around here say they can't get the screens.
Contributor
Althor18
0 Kudos

You can get them here for about $30.00 a piece for an alottment of 15-25. if the link does not work go to google and type: nook hd+ replacement lcd and scroll down and you will see alibaba..they will even sell just 1 but it will cost you $50.00 plus shipping for just one. Hope this helps.

http://baiyea.en.alibaba.com/product/863525096-218398494/Original_lcd_for_Barnes_Noble_Nook_HD_Table...

Contributor
dixieboo
0 Kudos

When they added electronics to their inventory they should have created a service department. Things break.  To offer only replacement as the solution is a needless waste.  I find it funny that the warranty is voided if you open it, but it's not covered if you break it anyway.  If you choose to repair it yourself, you can't get repair parts. If you decide you want to go with another reader all/most of your B&N content won't transfer to another reader. I hate to give up the library I have built to buy a kindle, but I will not be buying another Nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

dixieboo wrote:

When they added electronics to their inventory they should have created a service department. Things break.  To offer only replacement as the solution is a needless waste.  I find it funny that the warranty is voided if you open it, but it's not covered if you break it anyway.  If you choose to repair it yourself, you can't get repair parts. If you decide you want to go with another reader all/most of your B&N content won't transfer to another reader. I hate to give up the library I have built to buy a kindle, but I will not be buying another Nook.

You might want to check before you buy that Kindle, but AFAIK, they don't repair Kindles either.  Amazon offers refurbished replacements.  Most electronics in this price range don't have repair options.  

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Consider that most radio/TV repair shops have a starting charge of $80 to $120 before repair parts just to open up and diagnose problems. Consumer electronics are basically considered disposable. I doubt if B&N even have a line just for customer returned items. More likely they go into the same rework line used for units that fail final checkout at the factory -- only a tag on the item would identify which goes to refurb supply vs getting a new product box.

In the last two years I've had a 40" Samsung flat screen TV and a powered subwoofer in for repairs. The TV cost $150 for what turned out to be five or six electrolytic capacitors. Justifiable as the unit cost $1600 at Amazon's discount when new only six years earlier (and the caps had been failing for three years -- symptoms were self test reboots and locked pixel patterns). Granted a new Samsung of the same size is now only $600.

The subwoofer also had a faulty capacitor but they included that one under the $120 base charge. That unit was around $3-400 when new only about three to four years ago.

Baron Wulfraed