Reader
wmwadeii
0 Kudos

.CBZ Double Page Comic Problems

So I upgraded from the Nook Color to the Nook HD+. Love the new features for .CBZ comics. I do have one issue. When an image inside of the .CBZ is a double page it gets "forced" into a single page. While readable this is not ideal. If I change to landscape reading it does the same thing (forcing the double page as a single page) and also shows the next page as a single page.

I've used a program to seperate the images into 2 pages but this only works if the pages conicide with the even/odd layout. So if page 1 & 2 are single pages and 3 & 4 are the double pages split they show fine. But if page 1 is a single page and page 2 & 3 are double pages you get pages 1 & 2 together then 3 & 4. I personally don't want to check every week for double pages in 25+ comics to see if I need to add an extra blank page. 

Does the Nook use some kind of naming algorithm that would acknowledge a double page image is actualy two pages. Currently the program I use to converts labels them as P00001.jpg, P000002.jpg etc. Or is there a way to prevent the image in portrait from automatically trying to fill the page, and instead act similar to the Nook Color where it fit width not height and you could zoom in.

Frequent Contributor
maxspr1
0 Kudos

Re: .CBZ Double Page Comic Problems

I have a similar problem. Everything displays okay except for double page spreads, which display looking like TV static or an old-fashioned scrambled TV signal for some reason. I think the reader is squishing the 2 pages up into the space of one page except it looks completely messed up and unrecognizable. Whatever it's doing, it needs to be fixed. I bought this tablet primarily because it seemed perfect for reading comics. I had to sideload other programs to do what the native software is supposed to do out of the box.

Reader
wmwadeii
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I only see the static or distorted problem when I zoom out to thumbnails. What program are you sideloading. I didn't think and android apps would run unless you jailbroke it.

Frequent Contributor
maxspr1
0 Kudos

I bought Comicat from the Google Play store using my rooted Nook tablet, then transferred the apk file for that app from the tablet to my computer, then sideloaded the apk onto my non-rooted HD+ and it works great. the free Play Store android app called Perfect Viewer works as well, and since it's free, i have no problem telling you you can find the apk out there on the net using google search and sideload it--if you've done the authorized (by B&N) steps to enable adb on your HD+. No jailbreaking or rooting required. Perfect Viewer works well, too, but I just prefer Comicat's user interface. They both read .cbr files as well as .cbz files.

Reader
wmwadeii
0 Kudos

I looked into using the developer kit, but seems like a lot of effort to fix an obvious problem. Basically they need to add an option to auto size to height or width, instead of stretch to fit. Or it should recognize a wide image automatically as double page and automatically rotate to fit.
Frequent Contributor
maxspr1

The newest software update (2.0.6) that I downloaded and installed tonight helped to fix this problem--sort of. For the most part, the double page spreads work now, but every once in a while, while viewing a double page spread, it willsuddenly compress while I watch. If I tap at the bottom of the screen to bring up the thumbnails of the pages, then tap on the thumbnail of the page I was already viewing, then the double page spread corects itself to the proper aspect ratio. Weird...but getting closer to working correctly, so i guess that's something!