Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Calibre Companion app for rooted HD devices!!

First let me say...I'm not affiliated with Calibre in any way, I'm just really happy with this app and I know so many others have dealt with the same frustrations as I have so I want to share!

I've already discussed using the Calibre Server in another thread and being able to connect to it from your browser. I rooted my HD+ a couple of weeks ago and put the Calibre Companion App on my device. It is 2.99. I'm just now really getting a moment to sit down and play with this app some more rather than just using it to transfer books to my device.

It is AWESOME!!!
For one, it connects to my calibre server automatically so if my IP address is always changing, I don't have to keep checking and updating my link in my device browser.

THere are 2 options, connect to the Calibre Server or as a Wireless Device. I haven't had much luck with connecting as a Wireless Device, but I'm so happy with the other option, I don't care!

Once connected, you have lots of options to sort your books for viewing. I usually choose author, then the letter of the author I want, then scroll down to my author and choose the books I want. Choose a book, get sent to it's description page, download it. Back out. Hey! There's a check mark by the book telling me it's now on my device.

Repeat as desired.

When I disconnect form the server, lo and behold. CC has now listed all the books I downloaded and I can sort them by author, title, series and date uploaded to my device,...with covers!!! Cool..

I can also group books together by title, author, series, tags, publisher and user categories I might have set up. Better and better...

Wow..wait! There's more!!..and remember, I'm no longer connected to my server...I click on the book from my list of downloaded books and wow..I've got it's description page on my device too!! On that page, my options are to delete or to read. If I hit read, it checks my device for readers and offers me a choice of which to use. That would be the stock reader if that is the only one, but most of us have a pdf reader and overdrive installed so those options are given as well as any others you might have.  VERY helpful for pdfs! 

All the downloaded books are kept in the Calibre COmpanion folder on the device so you can find them easier. I also shelve them on my device to keep them together with the BN books by the same author or series. It's a very nicely done app, graphics are professional and easy to use though some of the menu commands are very small type. Since it uses Calibre on the PC to do most of the work for it, then displays the results in an attractive and professional manner, it is powerful tool for library management.

SInce I also have my BN books listed in my calibre library and have them marked as being BN books, I can keep track of series better and know which books to add to my device and which to download from BN. That also helps me in shelving them ON my device because I know where to find all the books to add to the shelf if I don't use the "manage content for shelf" option. I can also use the app to browse my "shelves" via groupings and sorts. Awesome. I don't even have to download my BN books to my device from the cloud at all if I don't want to do that, I can just  browse and access them from Calibre if I find that easier to do since I've downloaded all my books into Calibre for back up. (However, unless I've updated the metadata for those books once in Calibre, that info may not be complete as is so it may be easier to find the book in your BN library if you are wanting to see the details for the books. I just need author and title myself if I have the info for the other books in the series or author but you may choose to update the metadata in Calibre if you want for your reference. )

Since I archived the majority of my BN books, I have set things up easy for my own style of reading and finding books in my library. Removal of the clutter on my library page of books so I'm only seeing what I want to see, and the ability to keep those archived books sorted and "shelved" in Calibre so I can still easily find them for retrieval later. 

I am so loving this app! Unfortunately, it's not available in the nook store. However, if your device is rooted, I highly recommend the purchase of this app. The only Nook devices it works on though are the HD devices as it requires android 4.0 minimum.  I'm already a fan of Calibre, but this app is truly the best companion app! My HD+ is getting so much closer to being a nicely managed ereader...BN just needs to catch up on their end. :smileysad:

Note: when connected to the app, you view all the books in your calibre library, when not connected, it only shows the books you've downloaded from the app to your device. Being able to view covers and descriptions for those sideloaded books is NICE!

They would probably have to remove the "read" option from the app to get approved for the BN store, but I've requested the developers that they please develop for us! If BN doesn't have any inclinations to improve the library management system, they should at least allow us to get apps that will do the job for us.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Calibre Companion app for rooted HD devices!!

Hopefully, B&N lets in this app. It would help a lot of people.

Removing the REad button would probably be required:

They would probably have to remove the "read" option from the app to get approved for the BN store, but I've requested the developers that they please develop for us! If BN doesn't have any inclinations to improve the library management system, they should at least allow us to get apps that will do the job for us.

New User
Carrolaz
0 Kudos

I have a question maybe you can answer.  I read your remarks for CC and am thinking of getting it, but first I would like to know if you have any suggestions for getting Calibre to recognize my device.  I have had a Nook color for about 2-3 years and have had no problem sending books to the device, I just bought a new Color Nook HD 7" for Christmas and I can not get Calibre to recognize the device I have t ried everything.  Do you have any ideas.  Thank youi

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Make sure you click the wifi setting in the Calibre program on your computer to start the connection. Also, and I only say this because it took me a second to think, it asks for a password. I couldn't remember setting a password when I downloaded CC to my computer then I remembered! It's your modem password (whatever you set it at when you set it up). Once I input that information, the app on my HD+ worked beautifully. 

Too bad the app isn't available for Apple. Also tried searching for it in their App store, but without luck. Meh. Closed garden and all.