Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos

Can you sideload apps on a non-rooted HD+?

I want the Uverse app on my nook HD+, but Play Store says it's not compatible.  Now, that's just some guy's opinion so I'd like to sideload it if possible and see if it will work.  Can I do that without rooting the nook?

Contributor
StaticFX
0 Kudos

Re: Can you sideload apps on a non-rooted HD+?

i dont think it will work because its not compatible with the newer android OS..

check this: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411932&cv=813#fbid=IFirSbBvyNX
notice how there arent even any Android devices listed?
Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  It does work with Android 4.0.x as I have it on my phone and my Transformer tablet.  I think it's just a blanket response from the developer that doesn't take into account that the HD/HD+ is pretty close to stock Android when you get under the hood.

Not a huge deal as I can just use my phone, but it would be handy to have it on my HD+ as well.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

My understanding is that you used to be able to sideload APK's on a Nook device, but once B&N joined forces with the Google Play Store and upgraded the firmware, you can no longer do this.  I realize that Nook picked up thousands of new apps on Google Play, and it is a tremendous benefit,  but I just tried to download a card game, Texas Poker, which is in Google Play , but "not compatible with my device."  next tried to download an APK for this game, which I was able to do; but could not install it,as I got a message saying that Barnes&Noble would not allow it to load because of  "security" protection concerns the device,or something like that.  Not sure what that means, but bottom line, I couldn't install this app.  If anyone knows how to get around this, without rooting or modifying the rom, please let me know.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Tad123 wrote:

My understanding is that you used to be able to sideload APK's on a Nook device, but once B&N joined forces with the Google Play Store and upgraded the firmware, you can no longer do this.  I realize that Nook picked up thousands of new apps on Google Play, and it is a tremendous benefit,  but I just tried to download a card game, Texas Poker, which is in Google Play , but "not compatible with my device."  next tried to download an APK for this game, which I was able to do; but could not install it,as I got a message saying that Barnes&Noble would not allow it to load because of  "security" protection concerns the device,or something like that.  Not sure what that means, but bottom line, I couldn't install this app.  If anyone knows how to get around this, without rooting or modifying the rom, please let me know.

Are your settings set to allow you to install apps from unknown sources?  If not, update this and try again.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur: Are your settings set to allow you to install apps from unknown sources?  If not, update this and try again.

Neither of the HDs have this option; do they?

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Thanks, where do I go in "settings" to allow installation of apps from unknown sources?I can't find that on my updated 2.1.0 software version. That's what I've done on another brand tablet and it worked great for this app.
Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

I don't see that option on my "settings", where do I go to find it?
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Tad123 wrote:
I don't see that option on my "settings", where do I go to find it?

Try Settings-Device Information-Developer Options-Enable ADB

I think this is the setting that allows transfer of non-B&N apps - you may need additional drivers - try searching for "enable ADB" for more information - hope it works for you.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Thanks, I did find and enable ADB, and it still says for security, your Nook is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the NOOK App Store
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you follow this process, or just try to sideload the way you normally would on Android?

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-developer-start-up-guide#_Sideloading

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response. I can't find a setting for that. There is a developer option that let's you allow ADB, which I tried, but nothing says install apps from unknown sources
keriflur

Tad123 wrote:
Thanks for your response. I can't find a setting for that. There is a developer option that let's you allow ADB, which I tried, but nothing says install apps from unknown sources

I just posted a link to the process, not a setting.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

Thanks, I did not follow your process, I just tried to sideload as I normally would. I'll go to your link, it looks pretty involved, I'm no programmer or developer, but I'll see what happens. Thanks again
New User
rogerlig

You can't sideload to a Nook HD+.  You can't get Google Play on a Kindle Fire, no matter what modifications you make (short of loading an entirely new OS).

The only answer here, is to save some money and avoid these two delibererately crippled devices.  They're after making your experience limited, not enhancing it.  And they're doing this at our expense.

Which is a shame.  Otherwise, these are nice Android tablets.  It's a marketing thing, for which we have to bear the consequences.

Contributor
Long2Read

I found ADB so frustrating with the drivers involved that I turned to XDA developers about 10 months ago and while I did not technically root my HD+, I added "unknown sources" through the post there from "leapinlar". It is now beyond that simple operation now as most people there do root and install their own custom rom but if you check his archive installs, it does still exist and I was able to reinstall last week when I wiped my nook for other reasons. The process is similar to rooting and does involve burning a micro-SD card with Clockwork mod, so it will most likely void your warranty unless you reset it to factory settings if you run into trouble.  Uverse does show up for me in the Play store and most other apps are available that I know. I think it's great and does not hamstring the device like it was before. I can try to post a link if you want it.

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

Were you responding to rogerlig?  Seems like he or she has a negative attitude about the Nook HD+.

Sideloading has been discussed many times. Not sure why this thread never referenced the other that was going on at the same time.  They would have found an answer.

The last post has the link you referenced.  It's changed a bit since I did it to my HD and HD+ but the results are the same.  I wanted tp sideload Amazon Appstore since I had so many apps there already and to get their free app of the day occasionally.  Also Flash.apk which I haven't even needed to use.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/Side-loading-apps-how-is-it-done/m-p/14635...

New User
JEFrank
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm getting errors when trying to add the Nook SDK. Installed the Android SDK for everyone and ran it as administrator, but getting this:

Fetching https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/addons_list-2.xml
Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/addons_list-2.xml, reason: Permission denied: connect
Fetched Add-ons List successfully
Fetching URL: https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository-8.xml
Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository-8.xml, reason: Socket Permission denied: connect
Fetching URL: http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/sdk/nook_hd_addon.xml
Failed to fetch URL http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/sdk/nook_hd_addon.xml, reason: Socket Permission denied: connect
Done loading packages.

Any thoughts?

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

JRScarborough wrote:

In my opinion, unless you're an experienced techie/hacker, the easiest and best way to install "incompatible" apps and sideload apps from sources other than Google Play is to buy a dual boot sd card from AFN or N2A. 

Their products are pretty much the same.  Either will allow you to boot into stock Android from an sd card without rooting your device or voiding your warranty and you can switch back and forth from the Nook OS to Android Jelly Bean whenever you like.  When you boot into Android, you can install the full range of Android apps from Google Play or from outside sources.

I use the AFN card.  It was easy to install, works great and  has excellent support.  Here's a link for more info: http://www.androidfornook.com/

+1 on the AFN card, -1 on the N2A card.  I've tried both and the N2A card did not perform as well, plus the AFN support is terrific, expecially through the forum which is monitored and answered by the AFN owner himself.  He also tests and burns the images himself so the quality is high.  And I don't work for him -- he pretty much runs a one-person shop with some occasional help from his children.