Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Cannot add Chrome bookmarks to Home screen

On the Chrome bookmarks page, you can long press on a book mark and there is an option to add it to the Home screen, but it does not work.  The bookmark does not appear on the Home screen.

Also, if you long press on the Home screen and select the Bookmarks to add a bookmark, the only bookmarks that are available to be selected are from the old default browser, which cannot be used anymore.

Has anyone else been able to add web bookmarks from Chrome to the Home screen? or from any other browser?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot add Chrome bookmarks to Home screen

[ Edited ]

did you try to use those old bookmarks? They still work on mine. I just tried it. I set Dolphin to be my default browser. Though it does not load when I hit the web button, I put an old bookmark on my home page and hit it. It loaded up on Dolphin. I have disabled chrome so it would not load.

Contributor
gnees

[ Edited ]

I can add my bookmarks from Chrome. If you do a long press on your home screen, then go to the bookmarks tab, you can drag your bookmark up on to your home screen. 

I just tested it and it worked for me. And all my chrome bookmarks were there.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I first posted this question, I was working with a brand new HD+ that a guy at work just purchased.  A new Chrome bookmark did not show in the list you see after long pressing on the Home screen.

This evening at home I tried it again on my own HD+ that I have had since November.  I created a couple new bookmarks in Chrome and they were in the list you see after long pressing on the Home screen, although in seemingly random order. One was at the beginning of the list and the other was in the middle of the list. In the list, all of the bookmarks from the old built-in browser were displayed twice except for one bookmark that was displayed four times.  The one displayed four times happens to be the one that I have on my home screen twice.

But I was still unable to add a Chrome bookmark by long pressing on the bookmark in the Chrome bookmarks page and selecting the "Add to home screen" option. This also does not work with the other browsers that I are installed and have an "Add to home screen" option.

In the Opera browser there is an option to see the Android bookmarks and this list shows that same duplication that I mentioned above.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

DonMN, that's strange.

I think there might still be some things left unimplemented. Keep in mind that B&N is using its own skin over Android.

So it might very well be that Chrome is correctly adding a bookmark to the underlying Android Home Screen. however, the skin layer that B&N has implemented can't see that.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

I know this isnt what you want, but maybe it's OK while trying to figure out to get what you want working:

Long press on home screen and "add widget" and there is a bookmark widget where you can choose a whole bookmark folder to show up on one of the home screens.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

5ivedom wrote:

DonMN, that's strange.

I think there might still be some things left unimplemented. Keep in mind that B&N is using its own skin over Android.

So it might very well be that Chrome is correctly adding a bookmark to the underlying Android Home Screen. however, the skin layer that B&N has implemented can't see that.

You can do it from the home screen.  Long press on the home screen, choose bookmarks, then all your bookmarks show at the bottom and select from there.  The only thing I see is that it is limited to the ooh marks in the mobile bookmark folder.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks bklvr.