Reader
NewToNook2013
0 Kudos

Cannot update Adobe Air

I bought a Nook HD+ less than two weeks ago. I installed a new app (MKSAP) from google play. When I run this application, it complains that it requires a newer version of "Adobe Air".  However when I tried to update original version of "Adobe Air", update process failes giving an error message "Application is already installed". It is also not possible to uninstall the original version of Adobe Air (only disable option is there). I jsut wonder whether anyone else has come across this problem and whether there is any method to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

New User
azumanga111
0 Kudos

Re: Cannot update Adobe Air

I have the same problem with my Nook HD+ -- an app I downloaded recently requires the latest version of Adobe Air (currently 3.7.0), but the Nook is supplied with 3.3.0. I've tried updating through Google Play, but I got the error. I would like to access Adobe Air directly, but there isn't even an icon in the apps section. Is there anyway that this can be updated?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Check the Adobe website. Adobe ended support on Android for Flash recently. Perhaps it's ended support for Adobe Air too?

New User
azumanga111
0 Kudos

As I heard, Adobe ended support for Flash on mobiles (Android and iPhone / iPad), so it could push Air on mobiles.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Two of the biggest UK sites are the BBC & BBC Iplayer.

As Adobe has finished supporting Flash for Andriod, the Beeb has spent public money basing its Android Apps on Adobe Air.

I doubt they would have done that without consulting with Adobe - extensively - and getting the right reponse about Air's likely Android lifespan.

When I had this issue with the Evernote App, I emailed Alex the moderator and asked him to remove any record that I had had the App loaded on my device from my account, and I was then able to download the most up-to-date version from the Nook Store.  Not quite sure how this will work for the Google Store, but there doesn't seem to be the same restriction about only being able to download an App once on Google store as there is on Nook store.

The other thing I found with my Evernote issue is that the latest version was released later for the HD+  & I had to wait a couple of days for it to appear. It then updated fine.

Reader
NewToNook2013
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had a conversation with one of the helpdesk personnel and what he mentioned was that this problem is due to incompatibility between Nook OS and google play store. He mentioned this issue should be fixed within few days (that is about two weeks back). However there is no updated OS for Nook HD+ yet.

One temporary solusion might be to boot Nook HD+ using a SD card with a native Android Image (The way to do this can be found in various online forums). Then you can install Adobe Air from the Play store. If you need to use the native applications of Nook, you will need to reboot HD+ with native OS. Though this is not a very convenient option, perhaps this is the only way to use applications that require latest Adobe Air, until B&N fix this issue.

Hope this helps

Contributor
DarnHeather
0 Kudos

I'm still having this issue on 6/28/13.  Has anyone found a solution?

New User
azumanga111
0 Kudos

This past weekend, Nook, apparently, updated its system to 2.1.1. Any luck updating Air at this point?

New User
DetroitB
0 Kudos

No. It still won't update.

Reader 2
BamaSteelMagnolia
0 Kudos

It's now 4 months later and evidently B&N hasn't fixed this problem. Have been trying all morning to update the factory installed Air ver. 3.3.00.65 to the current Air 3.8. No luck. So disgusted. This is why I won't own another Nook and why we encouraged my dad to get an Asus tablet. On a tablet you can get the Nook and Kindle app. When I got my 1st Nook customer serie was helpful and understandable. Now it's based God knows where and communication is next to impossible.

Contributor
Wytchwood13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This issue is still a problem.  I have an app called Mahjong Time that played beautifully on my Nook HD+, then last time I tried to play this app, it said I needed to update Adobe Air.  So I try to update Adobe Air and it downloads and tries to install (from Google Play) but my Nook tells me it already exists.  Of course it does, but how about letting it update??? Really Disappointed.  I have no way of checking what version of Adobe Air I do have.  I don't think I'll be buying another Nook in the future. Went digging in my Nook under Just got off the phone with B&N Nook HD+ support and found where it is on my Nook, under All Settings--> Applications --> My Apps and Adobe Air is listed showing version 3.3.0.365.  On that same page, I cleared cache, I did a force stop, and now I'm going to try reinstalling updated version of Adobe Air even though technician from B&N claims my Nook did update because that's what it is saying; but it's still not showing the updated version in all settings/apps/my apps.  He said I need to call Google Play..which I'm going to do next.1-855-836-3987.  BTW, this late in the game, B&N no longer has any app for Adobe Air in their App store, so the only way to get this is through Google Play.

Will write again on what I find out.  

Contributor
Wytchwood13
0 Kudos

Google Play says the app should install the update, that it is compatible with Nook HD+.

So now I'm trying to get answers on the Adobe Air message boards.  

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Adobe Air appears to be one of the HD firmware applications. Just like Twitter and kin. They aren't from the shop.

Historically attempting to update such apps by using a Google store version has always caused problems -- they somehow do not see each other as "same app" and instead end up with parts of both getting installed and fighting each other.

Baron Wulfraed