Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Cheap Nook Worth a Look as Kindle Rival

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

Re: Cheap Nook Worth a Look as Kindle Rival

It says there is a native Facebook app. Where do you find that?
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The facebook app got pushed to my HD+ sometime in the last week, and I can't get it to freeze/go away.

At least the Twitter app can be disabled.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Wow. This is one of the few times I've seen anyone in the main stream media write a 'fair' article about the Nook.

A very decent portrayal of strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps it glosses over the drawbacks a bit. However, it's a good article.

Correspondent
DonMN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I see now. Facebook is already in my list of apps. I did a search in the shop but it was not found.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Twitter app has apeared on my UK HD+ but not Facebook, and not in the shop either....
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

[ Edited ]

I read the article and honestly, I can say I love my B&N devices. People complain about the drawbacks of owning a HD+/HD over and over compared to the Kindle, but one really needs to do their research and figure out what it is they want to do with the device they buy. 

For me, it was mainly reading books and magazines. The HD+ and HD are fantastic for this as the text and pictures are so crisp and clear I'm completely blown away on a regular basis. I sometimes forget I'm holding an electronic device rather than dead tree material. The web browser is great. I check my email everyday without problems and occasionally, I've watched a movie or three on both my Nooks. I do have a few apps (and all run flawlessly), but honestly, while I enjoy them when I think to play, I don't use them as often as I should. I guess I'd just rather be reading.

I'd love to find a completely pro-Nook article someday by someone who actually owns and uses a Nook and showcases all the fantastic features without bringing up the competition. Buy what you like and enjoy it! Sometimes the grass isn't as green on the other side of the fence as you might think. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

This: one really needs to do their research and figure out what it is they want to do with the device they buy.

I see the exact same issue come up again and again whether it's Nook or Kindle Fire or iPad or Nexus 7.

People will see - Tablet. Then they'll fill in EVERYTHING THEY WANT in a Tablet and ASSUME that this tablet in front of them has ALL OF IT.

Then they'll go home and open it and say -

I was expecting iPad ease of use and Android Free Apps and Kindle level of infrastructure support and B&N level of store support and store customer service.

OMG this tablet is terrible. It doesn't do X thing that it never claimed to do but I ASSUMED it would.

Then they'll write a 'I'm totally going to sell my iPad/Nook/Kindle and buy a Nexus 7/Kindle/Nook/iPad' post.

I wonder how many users who blindly go in without thinking what they'll use the tablet for are happy with the next tablet they get.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I can't agree more.  I'd kudo your post multiple times if I could.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

This: one really needs to do their research and figure out what it is they want to do with the device they buy.

I've been researching tablets and my blinders are off.  I have to say I need to list what I want/need in a tablet BEFORE I purchase one.  I also have to not get hung up on a feature that the ipad/nook/fire/Nexus/samsung doesn't have when compared to the ipad/nook/fire/nexus/samsung.  There are alot of choices and features as well as price points.  It can be staggering!

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

My experience is the same as yours.  I now actually read National Geographic instead of just flipping through the photos at the library.  I have subscriptions to two other photo magazines.  I actually prefer to read them on the HD+ over the paper magazines. It's fine for web browsing.  I don't think any tablet would be good for anything that required intense keyboarding (without something like a Bluetooth keyboard) but it works well for casual commenting. I have not watched video on it--that's what the big flat screen TV my husband craved is for.  I thought I'd prefer to read with the smaller NC, but I actually like the larger format better.  It's light enough that it's not tiring to hold.  I've had it since Day one, and I'm very happy with it. 

There have been glitches with all my Nooks.  I come here, nice people tell me how to solve the problems.  Once ot twice, minor peoblems can't be solved--but they are minor, and I can't believe that alternative devices don't have comparable issues. 

I'm always a bit bemused by folks who show up here fuming that their Nook doesn't do [fill in the blanks] (which, often, if they'd researched it, they'd have known that) so >HUFF< they are going off to buy a Kindle/iPad/Nexus.  It reminds me of our friends' daughter who, at age 4, wounded by some restriction, made the dire theat that, "I'm going to go upstairs, turn on the lights and waste electricity!"  If the Nook doesn't do what you want it to do, don't buy it, or return it for something that does.  But really, why come here to rant about it? 

patgolfneb

I am coming to believe that the excessively dramatic responses by buyers who did 0 research on a $200.00 or more purchase are

1. Trying to punish BN, by convincing others  not to purchase nooks.

2. Just trying to stir everyone up.

3. Socially mal adjusted nitwits in need of counseling, anyone who thinks threatening to buy a competing product in a forum to support nook users and readers with questions, in my opinion is clearly a nitwit.

Contributor
itsabirditsaplane

did research for abt a year maybe a year and a half regarding a tablet purchase. i treated it just like a computer purchase. at the time i was researching the orginal nook. vs the orginal kindle. i listed what i NEEDED vs what i would LIKE and finally what i DIDNT need to justify the purchase. in the end what i NEEDED  was internet/web browsing connection which at the time neither did. so i decided to wait and started the process over again when they did have it. what sold me on the nook was 1. the HD 2. the read in store option 3. is a tie between free fridays and weight. the kindle had wifi the nook had wifi i liked the set up of the nook vs the kindle ( ease of use i guess many would word it) my family and many friends all have the nexus 7 or 10 which they LOVE yet they are not active readers . they use theirs as a portable compact computer which surfs the net and watches movies on. which i can do too yet i use the reading function more. they have no complaints with theirs but they approach buying much as i do. i agree that people who buy because its cool, new, fashion statements or on whimm really do not know what they are recieving in the box and many times are passing the blame for their stupidity onto the company.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think this is a large part of it:

1. Trying to punish BN, by convincing others  not to purchase nooks.

For a fraction of users who run into problems and come to the forums, I've noticed that it's not at all about finding a solution.

They just want to tell everyone - I had a problem so the Nook sucks and don't buy it.

I think it's interesting. 

Sardonic

What I find interesting is how no one is mentioning how easy the Nook HD/HD+ is to root.  If you were able to root the Nook Color then you can root the HD/HD+.

After trying to lock down the Nook Tablet it appears that BN opened the Nook back up for modding.

So, you can have the Play Store and Amazon's store.

Of course, with Googles' Nexus brand at the 'open' end of the spectrum and Amazon at the 'closed' end both with tons of content that doesn't leave a lot of room for BN and Nook line.

With the loss of market-share in the eReader/Tablet space and agency pricing eliminated I am not sure BN's going to fair very well...not to mention GoodReads being gobbled up; In a year you wont find any mention of Nook, Kobo, BN, etc...on that once 'independent' site.

As the good as the Nook line/brand is I think BN's overall digital strategy is/was incomplete.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I think the more important thing to call out on the HD/HD+ is that ADB and app sideloading are available and documented.  This is why I bought the + on launch day, and until there was root, I was fairly happy as I could have a launcher of my choosing and install other apps that I wanted. 

I'd disagree with this:

"After trying to lock down the Nook Tablet it appears that BN opened the Nook back up for modding."

They tried to have it more locked than the Tablet is - you can modify /system on the Tablet - but failed.  

"no one is mentioning how easy the Nook HD/HD+ is to root"

As of now, the device is easy to root and is easy to boot from an SD card. 

The rooting is something BN tried to avoid and could potentially block with a software update - they actually put logic in that looks for changes to /system at boot time and, if any are found, wipes the system and restarts.  The folks who built the logic missed something, which is very nice, and a commonly-applied fix to the system (the white on white repair) blocks OTA updates as a side benefit - but as someone who had an HD+ get wiped a few times as we were all learning what could be done, I know you need to be careful and that there are some apps that can make trouble.

Booting from the SD card is probably not fixable.  As I understand it, the bootloader is locked (hence, no pure CM10 available) but a debug setting can be invoked that permits boot from SD.  The CM10 performance is nice, but not as nice as it would be if we could install completely onto internal memory. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Sardonic,

This was always going to be true: As the good as the Nook line/brand is I think BN's overall digital strategy is/was incomplete.

They are a retail bookstore chain getting into digital.

They did some very impressive things such as the hardware.

They needed some luck and got some early on. But now a few bad decisions and a lack of assets and resources is causing problems.

If it were just Kindle Department vs Nook Department, I think Nook would win. Because what we have is

iPad and Nook best on hardware

Nook and Kindle best on prices

iPad best on ecosystem

iPad best on software'

Kindle best on infrastructure and add-on services

Google best on lots of free apps

So Kindle, if it didn't have Amazon's add-on things, would be left out.

However, it does. So B&N has to compete not just against Kindle, but also against Amazon.com and Amazon.com's established customer relationships and AWS and Prime.

It's a bit much.

What is really interesting to me is how Amazon has manged to do so well in eInk readers and decent in Tablets despite having neither excellent software nor excellent hardware (with the exception of Kindle 3 (the keyboard Kindle)).

All other cases its hardware has been 2nd best - First Sony had better eReaders, then Nook (except during the Kindle 3 stretch), and now Nook and iPad have much better hardware.

The software has always been spotty. I have a Kindle Fire 1 and sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds just to change between sections like apps and books.

My Nook Color, on the other hand, is still snappy and responsive.

But I can see how services and infrastructure make Fire more compelling for lots of people.