Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

Cheaper Ebooks if You Already Own the Book

I see that Amazon is about to start a program where if you already bought the physical book, you can buy the ebook much cheaper.   It makes sense to me, why not?   If you already bought the book, it would cost next to nothing for Barnes and Noble to give you a digital copy.   After all, you already paid the royalty for the book.

The fact that you have to pay double the price to get an ebook and physical book kept me from buying a tablet until last year.   Barnes and Noble, you could have made more money off me if the pricing made sense.  I would be willing to pay a couple extra dollars for digital rights - just not double the price.

What does everyone else think?   I hate having to choose either/or.   I want both paper and digital, and I will be glad to pay a little extra for it. 

We should have the right to buy the ebook at a Barnes and Noble store along with the physical book.  Also, they should give us a discount off any books bought previously off our discount cards or online.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Re: Cheaper Ebooks if You Already Own the Book

Seems like a waste of money to buy an exact copy of something you already have...but hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money.
Me...I'd rather buy the next new book.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Jafa wrote:

I see that Amazon is about to start a program where if you already bought the physical book, you can buy the ebook much cheaper.   It makes sense to me, why not?   If you already bought the book, it would cost next to nothing for Barnes and Noble to give you a digital copy.   After all, you already paid the royalty for the book.

The fact that you have to pay double the price to get an ebook and physical book kept me from buying a tablet until last year.   Barnes and Noble, you could have made more money off me if the pricing made sense.  I would be willing to pay a couple extra dollars for digital rights - just not double the price.

What does everyone else think?   I hate having to choose either/or.   I want both paper and digital, and I will be glad to pay a little extra for it. 

We should have the right to buy the ebook at a Barnes and Noble store along with the physical book.  Also, they should give us a discount off any books bought previously off our discount cards or online.

BN has to pay the publisher the full wholesale price when they sell you the ebook regardless of whether or not you already own the the printed version.  So if the publisher doesn't go along with ths idea, should BN not make any money on the sale?  folks seem to forget that each ebook sold costs the retailer money.  And they dont get the ebook at a discount.

Amazon's program isn't for every printed book you ever purchased, only the ones in the program.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Do you also believe that once you've bought one physical copy of the book, you should be able to get another copy for a cheaper price since you've already paid the royalty for the book?

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

Amazon is not a bookseller. It is a conglomerate. But the point is, they sell everything and lots of it. They can negotiate a sweet deal with publishers that someone like B&N can't. Comparing what you can get on Amazon with what you can get from B&N is the old apples and oranges thing. Books are books, buy them where you will, but don't trash a company just because you don't like their prices.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

This may or may not become a trend. Only one major publisher Harper Collins is participating. The rest are Amazon imprints. If publishers feel customers are buying a second copy of owned books for backup or convenience or it expands Amazon Kindle device and e book sales, it may expand. If they publishers feel total sales are not enhanced and DTB sales are canibalized it won't. By canibalized I mean people sell their DTB copy, increasing the number of cheap used DTB's, which would depress prices and total sales. Another example might be book clubs with people sharing purchases. Publishers and authors will watch closely to see how their revenues are affected.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

A lot of movies now come with multiple copies:  dvd/Blu-ray/and electronic file. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to that industry. 

Freedom is not free.
Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

TnTexas said:

Do you also believe that once you've bought one physical copy of the book, you should be able to get another copy for a cheaper price since you've already paid the royalty for the book?
I wasn't talking about that issue. But since you ask, getting it cheaper would be problematic, as each additional book would need to be manufactured.
Frequent Contributor
Jafa

Lochnez said:

"Amazon is not a bookseller. It is a conglomerate. But the point is, they sell everything and lots of it. They can negotiate a sweet deal with publishers that someone like B&N can't. Comparing what you can get on Amazon with what you can get from B&N is the old apples and oranges thing. Books are books, buy them where you will, but don't trash a company just because you don't like their prices."

Well, file this post under "I saw someone say the word Amazon, so I will reflexively accuse them of trashing Barnes and Noble".

Really?   Read the post, I never trashed B and N.  Btw, I get over 90 percent of my books from B and N.   Not exactly an Amazon advocate. 

And for you to say that B and N can't do this, can't do that, etc., is defeatist. Businesses have to adapt to survive.  And even though you correctly point out they B and N is not as big as Amazon, they obviously are a major market force with bargaining power.

I like B and N, and am offering a way in which I could buy more of B and N's product, thereby increasing their profits.

Frequent Contributor
Jafa

moogs said:
"Seems like a waste of money to buy an exact copy of something you already have...but hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money.
Me...I'd rather buy the next new book"

Perhaps, it's a personal preference. I like to read an old fashioned book at home, but on the go I like the Nook as I can take several hundred books with me.
Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

patgolfneb said:

"This may or may not become a trend. Only one major publisher Harper Collins is participating. The rest are Amazon imprints. If publishers feel customers are buying a second copy of owned books for backup or convenience or it expands Amazon Kindle device and e book sales, it may expand. If they publishers feel total sales are not enhanced and DTB sales are canibalized it won't. By canibalized I mean people sell their DTB copy, increasing the number of cheap used DTB's, which would depress prices and total sales. Another example might be book clubs with people sharing purchases. Publishers and authors will watch closely to see how their revenues are affected."

Yes, definitely it would have to be profitable, I obviously don't expect anyone to do it without a profit.  I think it can work, I hope it is the wave of the future, but only time will tell.

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

bklvr896 said:

"BN has to pay the publisher the full wholesale price when they sell you the ebook regardless of whether or not you already own the the printed version.  So if the publisher doesn't go along with ths idea, should BN not make any money on the sale?  folks seem to forget that each ebook sold costs the retailer money.  And they dont get the ebook at a discount.

Amazon's program isn't for every printed book you ever purchased, only the ones in the program."

I never suggested that BN lose money on the sale.  I do suggest that a new paradigm is needed in the industry.   BN is in a position of influence to potentially do this.

lochnez
0 Kudos

Jafa wrote:
Well, file this post under "I saw someone say the word Amazon, so I will reflexively accuse them of trashing Barnes and Noble".

I  you bothered to read a lot of the posts on these blogs, you would see that huge percentage of the ones that mention Amazon are indeed trashing B&N, either directly or, as with you, indirectly. So file me wherever you want.

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

I do bother reading them, so I do recognize that a lot of the posts are trashing BN, and there also people ready to jump on the attack without reading.

If it makes you feel better to say I am only "indirectly" trashing BN, when I am not trashing them, then you may file me wherever you want as well.
lochnez
0 Kudos

You know, Louie, I think this is the start of beautiful friendship.

Jafa wrote:
I do bother reading them, so I do recognize that a lot of the posts are trashing BN, and there also people ready to jump on the attack without reading.

If it makes you feel better to say I am only "indirectly" trashing BN, when I am not trashing them, then you may file me wherever you want as well.

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

Lol. Yes, it appears so:smileyhappy: