Contributor
MaryLouSoczek
0 Kudos

Contacts and Email

Is must be possible to fill in the Email To field with an address stored in Contacts, but I can' tfigure it out! Help an yone? Thanks!
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Contacts and Email

I am not having an issue with this. I just start typing the name of the contact and it populates it. I have responed to a couple of emails as well and that worked. I havent started one from scratch with an address not in my contacts, is that your issue?

Contributor
MaryLouSoczek

No. I have put a few contacts in, some from emails (that works fine) and some I've typed in. Thematching worked fine on my "old" Nook Tablet,that's why I am surprized it doesn't work at all. Thanks for letting me know that it should work as I expected it to. I'll keep experimenting..... BTW I love this forum!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mary Lou, I read on another thread that the contacts automatching was off for some people.

That it was matching based on first name instead of last (or perhaps it was the opposite).

I'd also recommended trying a restart of the Nook.

Contributor
MaryLouSoczek
0 Kudos

Thanks 5ivedom for the suggestion, but restarting didn't work. I'll continue experimenting.... ML
Reader
5REH-8her
0 Kudos

I have the exact same problem. I added my contacts, and when I draft an email, the contact name does not populate. It does not appear to be a setting issue. And I did a soft restart also, to no avail.
Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

The contacts need to be in the same account or service as the email AND the contacts in that email account need to work with the Nook - which may not be the case.

Where it does work is with Gmail and Gmail contacts.   If you have Gmail and another email account you can switch between them by clicking on your email address at the top of the email screen.

Reader
5REH-8her
0 Kudos

Is this unique to the HD+? Because it works with my NC. I use Nook contacts and aol. Seems it should.
Contributor
MaryLouSoczek
0 Kudos

I talked to a rep. In a B&N store today. He told me that the problem was that my particular ISP email service was not yet supported. The developers concentrated on getting aol, gmail, and a few others to work. They are working on the smaller ones now ....verizon, myfairpoint, etc. Best for everyone with problems to send them an email so they know which ones to work on next! I'll post when mine - myfairpoint - is working!
Reader
5REH-8her
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update. I'm using aol and having the problem, but glad to know it is not hardware and just a matter of time. Good luck. Robin
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Why would the matching of a Contact name -- to fill a To: field -- be dependent upon the particular ISP one uses to send the mail? I'm not impressed by that Tech's response. After all, both the Email and Contacts applications are totally internal to the Nook.
Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

MaryLou, thanks for the information.

As to why ISP is required.

Perhaps, instead of using Contacts App to autopopulate Email App B&N is calling the server for the Email provider and populating from there.

Doesn't make sense but that's the only thing that would explain why they have to add support per provider.

Or perhaps the different contacts are in different format???

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If true, then NO standard SMTP/POP3 ISP will ever be supported -- they don't have any "contact" list on the servers.
Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Interesting.

Then it must be something with the interaction between the two apps. And the ISP should not be involved at all.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

That IS my contention -- except for web-based email providers (and maybe M$ Exchange) all contact/address-book data is local to the user machine.
Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
MaryLouSoczek
0 Kudos

Right, it doesn't make sense. It had to be a local look-up. But why would it work on some devices and not others? Sigh....

Bibliophile
Schwa

[ Edited ]

Was using a Yahoo account and could not figure out how to get contacts to show up.

Tried a Gmail account as a secondary.  On the setup screen for a Gmail account, the email client asked if I wanted to sync contacts (Yahoo setup did not).  Gmail contacts showed up.

Switched back to the Yahoo account, and lo and behold, there were my contacts.

Either Google has it's claws in Android a bit too much or someone at B&N software development needs to flip a switch in the email client, me thinks.

summary:  Gmail first with contacts allowed other accounts to work afterwards (for me)

Contributor
Reg1987
0 Kudos

This feature works on my Nook Tablet, but not on the Nook HD.
Contributor
Reg1987
0 Kudos

Are others still having this problem? Any idea on when, if ever, a fix is coming?
Contributor
PastorAndyD77
0 Kudos

i am having contacts issues too. i didn't even get a change to sync contacts. the option never showed up.