New User
NookmanJF
0 Kudos

Defective Nooks

I bought 2 nook HDs on Saturday for my kids to use, an 8gb and a 16gb.  By Sunday, the 8gb shut off and would not turn back on.  I tried all the work arounds and tricks and even everything from nook support.  I even took it back to Best Buy and they offered a replacement or refund.  The 16gb keeps turning off and will display 99% but won't do anything.  It has done this 3 times within 24 hours and each time the only way to help was to hold the power button and N symbol and do a reset.  This has gotten annoying. The latest time this happened I have been letting it sit with the 99% visible and in 12 hours it still has not changed.

Heres the issue. I know that I can exchange both since I am still within 15 days at best buy, but since I have 2 devices with issues in the first 24 hours, is this a bigger issue that I want to stay away from.  I have a separate nook HD+ for myself that has had no issues and I am debating returning all 3 devices while I still can.

Contributor
Emmet_Brown
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Nooks

Can you get far enough to look at the version of the OS? We bought 3 HDs last week and they all behaved flaky until they got the 2.1 update.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This isn't a common issue. How long did you charge the devices when you first got them?

New User
NookmanJF
0 Kudos

I charged them for a few hours when we got home before setting them up.

New User
NookmanJF
0 Kudos

the 8gb got the update for 2.1 and was fine until day 2 when it went dead.  The 16gb froze during the update and had to reset it in order to get the update to complete.  i had to factory reset the 16gb twice since then in the Saturday and Sunday they were in use.  The most recent time I just left the screen with the 99% loading screen and gave up.  I returned both for my money back instead of exchanging them.  I was too scared that the replacement may go bad and I wouldn't be able to return them.  My own nook HD+ is still working fine but the HD 8gb and 16gb both had the problems.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Strange that you'd get two devices that were both defective.

Not sure why. Only thing I can think of is that they didn't charge properly and had very little power left when update happened and that caused some problem. However, that's unlikely.

New User
NookmanJF

Both had been fully charged.  I spoke with Barnes and noble support for the 8gb that would not turn on and they could not help.  They were going to exchange it but reccomended I take it back to Best Buy.  The 16gb would not move from that 99% screen and happened 3 separate occasions in 24 hours.  Only way to get a response was to hold the power button and nook symbol.  The prompt asked if I wanted to factory reset.  If I chose to not reset then it would go back to the 99% screen.  So I factory reset it twice and the 3rd time I let the nook sit for a day to see if it would load anything.  When I woke up Monday I decided to return both instead of exchanging. 

Yes it is strange that two devices would have issues.  That is what scared me into returning them instead of an exhange.  These were for my children who both had been enjoying them when they worked.  They were supervised the whole time.  the 8gb shut off when reading a Dora book with my daughter.  The 16gb went wacky while playing google play games with my other daughter.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It seems you were just unlucky. To have both devices go off.