Frequent Contributor
Grammarsnob
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Deleted external content still shows in library

I just bought Nook HD+ and have done all the software updates. I sideloaded some ebooks from my computer (.epub format). I then realized I'd moved the wrong ones (the cover images were wrong). I plugged the nook back into my computer, deleted the old content, and replaced it with the new. However, my Nook is still showing all of the old content under my library. I cannot open those files or delete them from the library, but I can't see the stuff that's actually there from my library screen. If I go into "My Files", everything looks as it should and I can see the books that actually are on the device. 

I've tried hitting the "reset" button on the library. I've tried restarting the nook multiple times. I really do not want to do a reset since I already downloaded all my B&N content, which is over 500 books - plus, I shouldn't have to do that. Having "My Library" show all my ebooks, including documents, seemed really handy, but not if it's going to show the wrong stuff...any suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
Grammarsnob

Re: Deleted external content still shows in library

Semi-solution found.

The issue appears to exist when subfolders are created within the "My Files/My Documents" folder on the Nook's hard drive (I did not experiment with other folders). I had my ebooks in subfolders for better organization. When I removed them, I did so by deleting the subfolders, thinking it would clear everything out. It didn't! There appear to be two ways to fix this (beyond a full-out reset). First, plug the nook into your computer and copy all files back over.

The files can then be deleted from your computer, as long as you delete the individual files - NOT subfolders! Once the files themselves are gone, go to your library and hit the refresh button. The files in question should vanish. Once they do, go ahead and delete the subfolders.

Alternatively, once you've copied the files back in, you can delete them one at a time from your Nook screen. They'll show up twice, but deleting one will actually clear both in the pair. Once these are gone, you can connect to your computer and remove the subfolders. 

FYI. I hope this helps someone else not slam their heads into their desks as many times as I did!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Grammarsnob wrote:

I just bought Nook HD+ and have done all the software updates. I sideloaded some ebooks from my computer (.epub format). I then realized I'd moved the wrong ones (the cover images were wrong). I plugged the nook back into my computer, deleted the old content, and replaced it with the new. However, my Nook is still showing all of the old content under my library. I cannot open those files or delete them from the library, but I can't see the stuff that's actually there from my library screen. If I go into "My Files", everything looks as it should and I can see the books that actually are on the device. 

I've tried hitting the "reset" button on the library. I've tried restarting the nook multiple times. I really do not want to do a reset since I already downloaded all my B&N content, which is over 500 books - plus, I shouldn't have to do that. Having "My Library" show all my ebooks, including documents, seemed really handy, but not if it's going to show the wrong stuff...any suggestions?

Are you using a Mac? With some of the other tablets there is a problem with the Mac creating a trashcan folder (I believe a hidden folder) with the deleted content, and that folder will be scanned by the Nook when looking for files.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

There was also a bug where deleted items are still shown on Nook.

Do you see them after restarting Nook?

I can't recall what the fix was. However, this was a very common bug. Deleted books and music files were still showing up on Nook.

Reader
blacktalon
0 Kudos

Grammarsnob, I'm kudo-ing the heck out of you!

I had been beating my head on the wall for 2 days with this problem, and your procedure totally fixed it for me. Thanks so much!

Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

I'm glad that I found this post. Your solution worked like a charm!
Contributor
Lonewolf147
0 Kudos

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I'm having the same issue but am unable to try the solution because I no longer have the epubs I removed.

I had about 110 books sideloaded onto my main memory.  I recently decided to get rid of them so I plugged my HD+ into my computer and browsed over to the My Files/Books directory.  But the directory wasn't there.  A quick look online told me it was a special folder and I could only access it from the Nook directly.  So I installed a file browswer from the Play store (Astro), went to the directory and deleted all my epubs (just deleted all the subfolders where they were located).

Now though when I go to My Library, it still shows all 110 books under the My Books section.  If I select any of them, it either does nothing or if I 'add to homepage' and then select it it errors out saying it can't find the content. 

Since I deleted the epubs, I don't have them to readd to the Nook.

Does anyone know any way to rebuild the database without deregistering and reregistering?  I've rebooted my Nook numerous times and I've Refreshed the library as well.  Both to no avail.

TIA!!

Contributor
Lori6
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having the EXACT same problem as Lonewolf147 only it's internal content. If this is a bug, I hope that they fix it and fix it soon. If not, I hope someone knows how to fix this.

New User
CaptainFuture
0 Kudos

I tried this fix and now I have TWO thumbnails that won't delete. Will just erase device and remember not to delete subfolders, just the actual file.

New User
ms_gnabi

i have the same problem as well.i tried this solution but didn't work. had to deregister and start over.
New User
Irishdec52
0 Kudos

I was having this same problem with my Nook HD+.  I have taken my PC back to factory settings and re-installed everything quite a few times.  It's a lot of work, but it isn't hard to do.  When I saw ms_gnabi's post about deregistering, I didn't hesitate.  I deregistered.  Now the extra copies are gone.

This is my first Nook.  I wasn't satisfied with the way that I had organized the books.  This will give me a chance to get it done right.