Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom

Disable categories/tabs on update to Gmail app (on your Nook)

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, but since Gmail was recently updated to include a variety of new inbox categories/tabs (Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums) I found it pretty annoying to have the app put my messages in places that weren't of my choosing...  I have a ton of folders already in place to manage my messages, so I wanted to remove these categories.

Removing the categories from my PC was much easier.  Doing so on my Nook was a bit more of a challenge and if you also read the various Android-related websites, I wasn't the only one having a heck of a time getting Gmail to perform as I want on my Nook HD+.

For your Nook, if you want to remove any of the new categories, you can following these instructions.

Please note, if you had previously customized Gmail on your Nook to work certain ways (archive or action confirmations) or to not show certain things (like Sender image) then you will need to reset those to perform as you want.

On Your Nook;
1.  Launch Gmail ->  Go to Settings -> Inbox categories -> Removed checkboxes in front of categories you don't want
2.  Launch Nook's All Settings -> Applications -> My Apps -> Click on Gmail -> Click on Force stop -> Click on Clear data
3.  Launch Gmail and you should be back to no categories/tabs
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Re: Disable categories/tabs on update to Gmail app (on your Nook)

[ Edited ]

Good tip!  I'm still using the stock Nook email program because I can find no way to empty the trash.  I can put discarded emails in the trash, but they just sit there.  Have you found a way to empty the trash folder?

edited!  I just found where to empty it!  so please disregard this post.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

campyrs wrote:

Good tip!  I'm still using the stock Nook email program because I can find no way to empty the trash.  I can put discarded emails in the trash, but they just sit there.  Have you found a way to empty the trash folder?

edited!  I just found where to empty it!  so please disregard this post.  

If you go into the trash and tap on the check box next to each email, the trash can appears at the bottom and you can tap on that and it seems to delete them permanently.  One would think there wold be an easier waybunt that's all I could find.  Maybe someone else knows a better way.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

In Nooks stock email program the trash can shows but not in gmail, google apps version.  In gmail app, when you touch trash, you then hit the three dots in upper right and select empty trash.  

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

DOGandHORSE-Mom wrote:

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, but since Gmail was recently updated to include a variety of new inbox categories/tabs (Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums) I found it pretty annoying to have the app put my messages in places that weren't of my choosing...  I have a ton of folders already in place to manage my messages, so I wanted to remove these categories.

Removing the categories from my PC was much easier.  Doing so on my Nook was a bit more of a challenge and if you also read the various Android-related websites, I wasn't the only one having a heck of a time getting Gmail to perform as I want on my Nook HD+.

For your Nook, if you want to remove any of the new categories, you can following these instructions.

Please note, if you had previously customized Gmail on your Nook to work certain ways (archive or action confirmations) or to not show certain things (like Sender image) then you will need to reset those to perform as you want.

On Your Nook;
1.  Launch Gmail ->  Go to Settings -> Inbox categories -> Removed checkboxes in front of categories you don't want
2.  Launch Nook's All Settings -> Applications -> My Apps -> Click on Gmail -> Click on Force stop -> Click on Clear data
3.  Launch Gmail and you should be back to no categories/tabs

I was able to remove the categories on my PC, but was having trouble with my Nook HD+.  I was about to search the forums for a solution when I saw your post.  Thanks  so much for posting such clear instructions!  This was a lot of help!
Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

Glad to help! ;-D
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

When I go to gmail, then settings, I have no "inbox catagories" there to click on. Can you be more specific? I show General settings and it's not in there, then I have my email address and it's not there. Last is "about gmail and it's not there. I would like to get rid of the catagories myself but can't find what you're describing.
Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Let's see if I can describe how I got there better:

1.  Open Gmail...  Your Inbox and folders (if you have any) should be on the l-hand side of the screen and your e-mails (sender/subject+) should be on the r-hand side.

2.  Toward the top of your screen, click on the 3 vertical dots that should be directly under your Nook's battery indicator...  Then click on Settings.

3.  On the l-hand side of the next screen you come to, you should see General settings and then your e-mail address...  Click on your e-mail address.

4.  Inbox categories should then be on the r-hand side of your Nook's screen...  Then click on it and the Categories should be there.

NOTE:  Once you uncheck them, there is no 'OK' button.  Just follow the instructions I provided originally.

Holler out if you have any other questions.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

when I go to my email address, the only time the word 'inbox' apprears on the page says "inbox sounds".  The words 'inbox catagories' is not on that screen.  Thats what I have been fighting this thing on.  I go to settings, then the second down on the left is my gmail address.  then in the right panel there is no inbox catagories at all.  What am I missing? Actually I can click on all three on the left side and in none of the screens is catagories.  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

I think it might be that we are on different versions of Gmail for this device, but before I go there can you tell me if above 'Inbox sound' you see 'Notifications'?  If so, then I am assuming you (based on what you are indicating) you do NOT see 'Inbox categories'?

Right below your Gmail email address on the l-hand pane, click on About Gmail and tell us what version you are at.

On my Nook HD+, my Gmail version is 4.5.2-7xxxxx

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

I am running gmail version 4.5.2-714156.  I even went to update it just incase it wasn't current.  when in my accont on the left, I see type notification sound and signature if that helps.  

Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

campyrs, I just realized what is going on because what you described is what I see when I add a second gmail account to my Nook HD+.

Am I correct in that there are (at least) two e-mail accounts on your device?

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, only one email address. Gmail   -  The Nook is registered to a different email address, but I have it only receive gmail mail.  there is only one account showing up in the gmail app

Frequent Contributor
DOGandHORSE-Mom
0 Kudos

That might be the reason (with the Nook being registered to another e-mail address) and that would be considered the primary e-mail.

I'd need to ask the 'experts' in this Community if they have any suggestions for resolving the issue of the unwanted Gmail email categories for you...  I'm at a loss at this point.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Gmail has never had more than one email address in it. The only time the other address comes into play is reregistering and purchases t the B&N store. Can't see why that would make any difference in the gmail app.