Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Discuss any changes in 2.1

Yes, yes, Google Play is the big news.  But there are always unlisted changes so let's discuss here if you find any.

1) First thing I noticed is in the App Listings, all Nook-bought apps now have the nook (n) symbol on the top right and the GPlay ones do not.

2) Included Google Apps are: Chrome, Gmail, Search, Google +, Play, Play Music, Talk, Voice Search, and Youtube.

3) Interestingly (or maybe not so) is Play Books, Play Magazines, Play Movies.  Though I suppose this is an all or nothing deal.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Re: Discuss any changes in 2.1

[ Edited ]

Tags (LendMe, New, Sample) have changed, appear in lower left corner instead of outside the graphic.

The bottom taskbar (or w/e it's called) is now all black instead of the way too bright grey.

Backup settings now appear in the settings menu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one!

Haven't tested yet though.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have found that most but not all of my apps bought for my phone and previous xoom tablet are compatible.  USA Today surprised me by not being compatible. SWIFTKEY, battery app, are ones I  rely on and they work fine.  I had to remove and and reinstall my email accounts to get them to work properly. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I had to uninstall and reinstall any google apps I already had installed. Calibre Companion App didn't recognize my previous library on my device until I synced it up to my Calibre Server as a wireless device. It took forever for everything to sync up again.

I can now add the app to my home page so I don' t have to use the zeamlauncher anymore.

I was hoping to be able to have an easier way to archive books because I can't always get that 2 handed way to work. I'm just not that coordinated. If not that, at least be able to switch screens between on device and in the cloud books to get rid of those pesky clouds from the main library. Maybe next update.

Still, all in all, a positive step for BN. It would have been nice though if they had let us know somewhere along the way that they were listening to our concerns and requests so we didn't get so disgruntled with them. Alas..I'll let the inability to get those cloud books off my screen slide since they did such an EXCELLANT job getting my Calibre Companion App onto my home screen via Google Play!. Now that I know they do listen to us...maybe next time for the cloud books.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Manage Content for Profile only lists unarchived BN books now instead of all the books on the device. Not sure if I like that or not. Manage Content for shelf includes side loaded books but it took forever to load

Were we able to reorder our Library items before? Move Apps up, catalogs down the list, etc I don't remember but I just did it and I like it.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I can now sort items in the library besides by author. The options were there before, but now they work.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The calendar linked up to my Google calendar and synced. Kobo app, Kindle app and Audible app work great. None of my Angry Birds games bought from B&N will open. This includes Angry Birds, AB Rio, AB Space, AB Star Wars, and AB Seasons. I'm on my iPad so I can't ever seem to get spaces between paragraphs even though I double spaced between each one. Sorry...
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Yes we were able to reorder our library items before. Just sideloaded update with no problems. Can't wait to get calibre companion. I have wanted it since I heard you raving about how good it is.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Both of my Angry Birds games opened up and played fine. Maybe yours need updating?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried the Backup Data option. Does it backup only for Google Play Apps or also for Nook Apps?

northlite
0 Kudos

I looked, there were no updates available for them. I rebooted the nook. Can't think of anything else. All other apps seem to work, it's just the birds. Weird...none of them will even open.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

@northlite, none of my angrybird apps worked either after the update. Sad to say, the only way I got them to work was to archive and redownload them all. Of coarse I lost all my progress on them though :smileyfrustrated:

Contributor
Bremen72

[ Edited ]

Angry Birds isn't working for me either.  So far everything else seems fine.

Has anyone seen or dicovered a way to change the default email app over to Gmail?  I want to have it open gmail from the Email icon on the Nav Buttons.

**Update**  While i was typing the I sent the Angry Birds app to the Nook Cloud then downloaded it again and this time it ran fine.  Hope that helps anyone else having the problem.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

All of the stock browsers bookmarks are also gone.  I lost hundreds of them.  I like the Google apps but the bookmarks missing kind of sours the taste I have for google a bit.

Contributor
Fred_
0 Kudos

Too many random reboots and/or shutdowns for me with 2.1, I'm going back to my AFN card.

celandinehobbit

Okay, after a few hours of playing with the new update, I've discovered this:

1.) Google Play Music is listed as an app in my application list when I go through settings-applications-my apps, but does not show up in the list of apps when I press the bottom Apps button on the main home screen. Tried installing through the Play Store as it shows it wasn't downloaded (weird!) but it acts like it tries but then stalls and stops. Tried shutting down the whole Nook and restarting but to no avail. Any help?

2.) The main stock browser is gone. When I press the Web button on the main home screen, Chrome is launched. Any way of getting the main stock browser back or at least of making it my default till I at least decide on my own I want to launch the Chrome browser? 

Still undecided if I like the update or not. I feel invaded. :smileyfrustrated: Guess I really liked the Nook ecosystem being separate. I noticed that my internal storage memory is less. Probably because of all the stock Google apps that were installed along with the update. I suppose given time, the update will grow on me more. 

Contributor
ejohnson53
0 Kudos

Features lost in the update:

1) No help files for Chrome on the Nook. The help feature give you PC support.

2) Nook HD+ user manula not updated for this change over. Chrome is clunky and hard to find what you need to do.

3) Flash no longer supported on Nook HD+. No reason to take it away.

4) Article View, the very best thing about the B&N browser is gone. Now everything I read on line is microscopic and surrounded by advertizing garbage.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I would like the browser and Article View back.

Celine, regarding this:

The main stock browser is gone. When I press the Web button on the main home screen, Chrome is launched. Any way of getting the main stock browser back or at least of making it my default till I at least decide on my own I want to launch the Chrome browser? 

I think this is part of the agreement to get Google Play. You Must make Chrome and Search the 'defaults'. It's Google's pound of flesh for the open and free Android ecosystem.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

The stock music player has also been replaced by the google "Play Music" app.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

In the library, when you sort by book Titles, it now works correctly --- ignores "a, an and the".  Can find books now. Very happy:smileyhappy: