Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

Do not expect to use the micro sd card slot

The nook software simply is terrible about the micro sd card slot.

I also have an HTC Evo 3d which I expanded with an micro sd card.

It is much better.

The micro sd card in the nook

1) is very slow. Compared to just plopping the card in a regular reader it is about twice as slow

2) cannot transfer more than 2gb file. It will crash otherwise.

I had bet that I could use the slot well, which is part of what made me choose the nook, but it is just badly implemented. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Do not expect to use the micro sd card slot

Thanks for sharing.

1) Some people get issues with SD Cards on Nook HD and HD+ and some don't.

2) Android 4.0 uses MTP which is the MAIN reason for problems. Are there B&N bugs on top of that? Perhaps. Not sure.

3) Yes, there are some SD card related issues. Usually ones that are gradually being fixed.

4) You're the first person I've seen who had the problem with 2 GB files.

Just adding these data points to give a more accurate picture.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

I haven't had a bit of trouble with my card and I'm running a SanDisk 32G class 4. Maybe it's the card and not the Nook? then again, I transfer right to the card. I don't go through the Nook, but everything works as if it were all internally loaded, so no problems here.
Contributor
GerryF

I have a San Disk 64Gb class 10. I had many problems with transferrring files across via the nook hd. I finally gave up. Now I shut down the nook, pop out the card and plug it directly into my computer. 100% reliable - I haven't had a problem with the card since then.

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I thought it might be the card, so I popped in a 32gb card from another device...formatted it (grrr) and...

it was even slower, and had the same problem.

Something is wrong with the nook's sd card driver and software.

Heck, something is wrong with the scrolling in general. This feels like a single-core android 2.2 device. Incredibly slow.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

I wonder if it's possible that there's a configuration which causes the OP's device to format its card as fat16, or see it as such?  A fat16 partition has a 2 gig file size limit.  I have a hazy memory that there's a situation in linux where a fat partition can default to fat16 in some cases of a borked disk signature.

five writes "Android 4.0 uses MTP which is the MAIN reason for problems. Are there B&N bugs on top of that? Perhaps. Not sure."

Certainly that's a source of problems, in particular since it confuses a lot of folks about what they expect to see when they connect their HD or HD+, and because MTP is buggy.

I'm one of the folks who's seen sdcard access slow down the device at irregular and seemingly random intervals, across a range of cards from 8 to 32 gig and from Sandisk as well as other flash manufacturers. 

"Yes, there are some SD card related issues. Usually ones that are gradually being fixed."

What is the evidence - from BN - that these are being fixed as opposed to experimented on using customer devices and the auto-update mechanism to explore the problems?  While it's clear that BN is working on them, we don't know that from any BN statement, and to date I disagree that fix is the relevant term. 

We know about the changes primarily thanks to the dedication of the XDA developers who are looking at the kernel source and kernel behavior and seeing changes to how SD cards are addressed. 

Many folks, here and at XDA, are reporting that the 64 gig high speed cards are very flaky.  I don't remember if the official spec states that 64 gig cards are supported. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Over the two years that I have owned over a dozen Nooks (all except the new HD series), I have had ZERO problems with microSD cards (all SanDisk 16GB class 4 or 6), either inserting/removing them, or copying files to them.  I copy about 12GB (40,000 files) to each of the cards every 28 days.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering if BN's contractor saved a few pennies per SD card reader on the HD/+ readers.  

The ones I've used on the NC and Nook Tablet (n=4 myself) have never been problematic.  And the experience of NC and NT owners in using sdcards to run the system from have rarely spent a lot of time digging into SD card crashes from what I've read.  

By contrast, one of the things that's being revised frequently in the XDA CM10 builds is the kernel used because the devs have seen kernels do some ugly things as they write to the cards.  

I haven't seen discussions about sdcard related errors or crashes discussed nearly as often in other contexts where I read a lot of development threads, like for my phone or media player.  It's usually limited to the occasional "which is best?" or "this is happening" thread, followed by

- try reformatting your card, that will probably clear the issue and

- are you using a Sandisk branded class 4 card?  (Is it my imagination, or did Sandisk shift over to mostly making class 4 and ultra high speed cards?  I haven't seen a Sandisk class 6 for a while now.)

At any rate, the amount of time various folks are spending trying and failing to fix the issue on the HD/+ units makes me wonder if this is a doomed attempt to patch a hardware fault in software.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Roustabout, that's a good point - it might be a hardware fault.

As far as fixes, there have been some.

There used to be lots of issues like files being shown as duplicates with only one working and lots of other things.

Most of those are fixed.

Perhaps the ones left now are the ones OP is getting.

I've had a similar experience to people on this thread - Nook Color and Tablet work fine, HD and HD+ give problems sometimes.

However, nothing like the OP's issues. Which makes me assume (and it is an assumption) that there's something unique about his cards or his Nook. In which case a return would be best.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I have a SansDisk class 4 - 32gb card in my HD+.  I had to let the Nook HD+ actually format the card before I could use it and it formats it NTFS. The NTFS allows files larger than 2 gb to be placed on the card, whereas Fat32 has a 2 gb file size limit. I had to upgrade my Windows XP to permit my PC computer to actually be able to read/write to the SD card when I connect the HD+ to the PC using USB.

I 1st formatted and tried a class 10 card I had used before, but it just didn't work correctly at all in the Nook HD+. Like other folks I've had no issues with any SD cards using my old Nook Color.

I haven't had the duplicate file issue, but I do have a issue when I download/sideload new books to the Nook HD+ 's SD card.  To actually get the Nook HD+'s library and Reader software to actually open the file I have to power the Nook HD+ off and then On again.   This suggests to me that there are software bugs in the Nook HD+'s software where the SD card doesn't get scanned/refreshed when you do the "refresh" option located in the Library page/ App page/ etc.  

I keep hoping the Nook HD+ line will get an update that can correctly read an SD card as well as not wiping out all the BN content on the device each time it updates so that you have deregister/erase and reregister and redownload all BN content.

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I think the 32gb sd card I tested with the nook hd was either class 4 or class 6. 

EVO 3d handles that card fine. nook does not.

Also, nook formats all cards in exfat. nook cannot format in NTFS.

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

I have an HD+ and haven't had any problems with slow downs, laggy scrolling or anything else. It's as fast as the Samsung GS3 so maybe it's actually your Nook that's the problem. Maybe you need to have it replaced? I don't know. I do know there have been some issues reported with the software, but overall, mine is as fast as anything out there. I've had no complaints at all.

And I can transfer files through the Nook. I just don't choose to. And the transfer is very fast.

Maybe I just got lucky...

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

care to post a vid on youtube?

roustabout
0 Kudos

The evo 3d (I use the Virgin variant) is a two year old platform now - when it was first released it ran Gingerbread.  

That means several things, one of which is that it's an ICS device that supports the USB mass storage protocols for writing to the SD card - those protocols were the only game in town when it was released, and fortunately the drivers for the ICS versions still support the protocols.  

It would be very nice if the driver support for USB mass storage was available for the HD and + as well, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.  

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I generally expect tech to get better over time and for standards to become more even. 

BN could have done just fine with releasing an android device with a "Nook sense" light skin, and with nook as a default for everything. Instead, they seem to have converted too much without taking the time and effort to really make it work well. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

The decision to go with MTP instead of mass storage was made by Google.  BN develops little to none of the Android OS underlying the skin they put over it.

And many folks think that MTP is a leap backwards by Google - for all its faults, the usb mass storage protocols don't have the kind and complexity of errors possible in MTP.  

Correspondent
Wulfraed

cybersmoke53 wrote:

I have a SansDisk class 4 - 32gb card in my HD+.  I had to let the Nook HD+ actually format the card before I could use it and it formats it NTFS. The NTFS allows files larger than 2 gb to be placed on the card, whereas Fat32 has a 2 gb file size limit. I had to upgrade my Windows XP to permit my PC computer to actually be able to read/write to the SD card when I connect the HD+ to the PC using USB.

I 1st formatted and tried a class 10 card I had used before, but it just didn't work correctly at all in the Nook HD+. Like other folks I've had no issues with any SD cards using my old Nook Color.

I haven't had the duplicate file issue, but I do have a issue when I download/sideload new books to the Nook HD+ 's SD card.  To actually get the Nook HD+'s library and Reader software to actually open the file I have to power the Nook HD+ off and then On again.   This suggests to me that there are software bugs in the Nook HD+'s software where the SD card doesn't get scanned/refreshed when you do the "refresh" option located in the Library page/ App page/ etc.  

I keep hoping the Nook HD+ line will get an update that can correctly read an SD card as well as not wiping out all the BN content on the device each time it updates so that you have deregister/erase and reregister and redownload all BN content.

The HD/+ do NOT format in NTFS (very little does, M$ hasn't really released that system); it uses exFAT format.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What WallaceGal said:

It's as fast as the Samsung GS3 so maybe it's actually your Nook that's the problem. Maybe you need to have it replaced?

Based on the Sd Card problems, the text scrolling problems, the reading is bad in the reader, etc. problems it seems you either got a lemon or it's just not a good fit for you.

I had an iPad 2 and I couldn't discern any great difference between it and the other Tablets. Perhaps you have an iPad 4 or iPad Mini? is it noticeably faster than your HD+?

roustabout
0 Kudos

I think the reading bad comment was about the stock browser stuttering, and mine definitely has slowed down over time. 

So I stopped using stock, something in it is not working well at this time.

As far as the GS3 versus the HD+, the screen on the + has a gynormous pixel count even compared to the GS3, and it does tax the graphics processor to paint the screen.

The Apple devices, as I understand it, are able to do their screen painting as fast as they do - and for scrolling text around too fast to read, they smoke everything I've used - because the hardware is designed to cache a lot of the bitmap before it's drawn on the screen.  Pulling the bitmaps out of cache rather than drawing them on demand is what I'd understood was the secret to the fast and smooth ios screen draw.  

However, you can't read stuff going that fast :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

Dolphin is *much* better on the nook. Heads and shoulders better than stock nook browser.

What bothers me the most is when I'm reading a file on readability,

1. there's no page flipping

2. when I scroll it is noticably laggy.

Too bad Pocket has no plans on porting over.