Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Documentation

I just bought my Nook HD+. My impression is that it came with a neew version of the software or that a new version loaded upon my activation. The Setting page shows I have version 2.1.0.

My specific question is that many of the apps that are on it are not covered in the User Guide. Is there any documentation at all for these? I tried one of them and was immediately asked if I wanted to create an account or use an existing account? What gives? I tried my email address and that didn't work. What's an "account"?

What the heck is "Play Store" and why in the devil would I want it? Why do I need to add a Google account to use "Talk" and what does "Talk" do?  Similiar questions exist for a half dozen other apps that all seem to start with a demand for an "account". Logic says one "account" would fulfill all the demands but...what's an account cost and what are the implications....say security?

It is patently irresponsible for B&N to release a version that has software embedded in it without offering something to guide the user who is not familiar with the concepts in it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Documentation

Toller wrote:

I just bought my Nook HD+. My impression is that it came with a neew version of the software or that a new version loaded upon my activation. The Setting page shows I have version 2.1.0.

My specific question is that many of the apps that are on it are not covered in the User Guide. Is there any documentation at all for these? I tried one of them and was immediately asked if I wanted to create an account or use an existing account? What gives? I tried my email address and that didn't work. What's an "account"?

What the heck is "Play Store" and why in the devil would I want it? Why do I need to add a Google account to use "Talk" and what does "Talk" do?  Similiar questions exist for a half dozen other apps that all seem to start with a demand for an "account". Logic says one "account" would fulfill all the demands but...what's an account cost and what are the implications....say security?

It is patently irresponsible for B&N to release a version that has software embedded in it without offering something to guide the user who is not familiar with the concepts in it.

The latest update added the Google Play store, (the Android App store), it's where you purchase and download Android Apps.  Many of the apps you see are Android Apps and should have their own documentation.  BN doesn't develop the apps and isn't going to provide documentation for each App.  Most apps you can find the documentation either in the app or on the internet.   I know that I did not get document with my Android cell phone that provides an explanation of every app that was installed when I got.

You don't say what app you tried that asked for an account, maybe if you told us what the app is, we could tell you what it was for.

Talk is a Google instant messaging program which is why you need a Google account to use it.  You also need a Google Account to get apps from the Play Store, since they come from Google, not BN.