Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Does leaving HD on charger most of the time affect battery lefe?

When I'm not using my HD+ I usually keep it on my nightstand on the charger, Someone told me that I should not do this as it will shorten the life of the battery. Does anyone know if this is true?

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Does leaving HD on charger most of the time affect battery lefe?

That advice dates from the era when NiCad batteries were the norm.  Lithium ion batteries don't have the same issue.  It is better to leave it off the charger when using it if possible.  Using it regularly while charging can shorten battery life. 

Inspired Contributor
wallacegal
0 Kudos

If you leave it on too long, something within the Nook will shut the charging off and eventually, it will discharge completely. I (and others) have had that happen several times when we've plugged it in and not come back to it for a couple days. It's not the battery. It's inherent in the Nook. I wouldn't leave it plugged in longer than to charge it, or overnight, then use it normally. But that's me.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

From Wikipedia:

Battery pack life [edit]

Li+ batteries last longer[106] if not deeply discharged (depleted) before recharging. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.[citation needed][107]

Batteries may last longer if not stored fully discharged. As the battery will self-discharge over time, its voltage will gradually reduce, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold of the protection circuit (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it will be disabled and cannot be discharged any further until recharged.[106][clarification needed] It is frequently recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.[106]

The rate of degradation of lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures. They may be stored in a refrigerator.[108][109]