Reader 4
Jillotop
0 Kudos

Download 1016 Error

All of a sudden my Nook on my PC is not working well.  I have used it for over a year now and have had no problems but now for about the last week, I have had trouble opening any book on it because it tells me "We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time -- Please try again later.  (Download: 1016)."  HELP!!!!  PLEASE!!!!!

Inspired Contributor
BrittanynCory
0 Kudos

Re: Download 1016 Error

Do you mean the PC Nook software? Not the actual Nook ereader? If so, this could be why :smileysad: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/barnes-noble-kills-mac-and-pc-dedicated-nook-apps-looks-like-part-o...
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Given the dubious accuracy of the story about the "eMail + web browser" update for the Nook Touch by June 1 (which hasn't happened), I would be more than a little circumspect about their claims about B&N's plans.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

That may be it, I don't know...it worked one day then just stopped...but what I do know is until it is fixed I'm buying no more books from B&N. With no new e-ink reader in sight and all these big sales on the tablets (which I missed out on, buying the HD shortly before the first sale) and the sudden addition of Google Play to the HD tablets I don't have a lot of faith anymore that B&N will be here very long. Very sad because Amazon needs the competition.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
New User
mark_1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Edit: The instructions below are not so useful after all... Sorry to get your hopes up, it looks like you can only read the book on the PC as long as your Nook device is connected to the PC. After I unplugged it it was no longer available. Maybe someone else can figure out how to actually move the file.

If you have a Nook device, grab the book on it then plug it into your PC. View the downloads on the Nook in a Windows Explorer window. The names are not helpful so sorting for the most recent file might be useful if you just bought the book. Open the Nook for PC application then drag the book file from the Nook device (in the Windows Explorer) onto the Nook App. This allowed me to transfer the book to the PC and read it there.

That said, I'll be migrating to Kindle on my PC for future purchases if BN won't support the Nook app for PC.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

mark_1 wrote:

Edit: The instructions below are not so useful after all... Sorry to get your hopes up, it looks like you can only read the book on the PC as long as your Nook device is connected to the PC. After I unplugged it it was no longer available. Maybe someone else can figure out how to actually move the file.

If you have a Nook device, grab the book on it then plug it into your PC. View the downloads on the Nook in a Windows Explorer window. The names are not helpful so sorting for the most recent file might be useful if you just bought the book. Open the Nook for PC application then drag the book file from the Nook device (in the Windows Explorer) onto the Nook App. This allowed me to transfer the book to the PC and read it there.

That said, I'll be migrating to Kindle on my PC for future purchases if BN won't support the Nook app for PC.

I'm not sure where you got those instructions, but they kind of look like something from the N1E. If so, it reached end of life a couple of years ago and behaved quite differently than any device sold today and isn't really helpful unless you have an old N1E.

The Nook for PC/Mac Apps are back on the website as available downloads.  Even while they were missing Nook for PC worked normally on both my WinXP and Win7 laptops.  Every once in awhile I get a download error and if I go back a little while later my eBook downloads fine.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
Grantherum

[ Edited ]

I also had this problem until just a few minutes ago.

I didn't start having this problem until I changed my Credit Card information.  As soon as I changed the info for my card, blam... No dice with the Nook PC program downloading books.

How I solved it.

1) log out of Nook PC.

a. On Nook PC go to the lower left corner, and select "Settings"

b. Then select "Account Settings"

c. Click the button that says "Sign Out"

2) Log back into Nook PC.

a. Put in your Email Address Correctly.

b. Enter your Password Correctly.

c. Click the "Sign In" Button

3) Check to see if you can download books now.

Those are the steps I followed, and it solved my problem.  I was able to download the 180+ books that were previously unavailable to download because of the download:1016 error.

Hope this solves your problem as well.

edit 1:

Correction... this did solve my initial problem... but I just bought 3 more books, and it seems like these 3 new books I cant download to my PC, though I have had no problems downloading them to my nook.  I certainly hope that the problem behind this can be found and solved.

edit 2:

I opened up "NOOK STUDY" another nook for pc program.  As soon as I opened that program and tried once again to download my things in the "NOOK for PC" program it worked with no errors.  Dont ask me why that is the case, but it worked.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I suspect some server overload.

It took me a half hour of trying to get two items to download to my First edition (including cycling wifi), and another hour to get them down on my computer.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
Chasted
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. I fixed it by uninstalling it on my PC, then I re-installed in back on....and it worked
New User
MilesT
0 Kudos

On Mac OS I had this problem and fixed it by reinstalling the Nook for Mac application:
1. Exit Nook for Mac if it is running
2. Download a new copy of Nook for Mac from the B&N website
3. Run the installer

After starting up the freshly downloaded copy, everything worked properly.
Inspired Contributor
emmyk

Before doing something radical and time-consuming to "fix" this, consider that it's probably just an intermittent performance problem.  The error message says to try later.  That worked for me.  I "fixed" the problem after several failures tonight (on each book I tried) by simply waiting 15 minutes or so then stopping and starting the app.  No more errors.  So, reinstalling, booting, etc., probably "work" only because they kill some time. 

New User
ScottRobertLadd

I have this problem ALOT, enough to stop buying from B&N. I haven't found a consistent solution, so I doubt there is one. On rare, unpredictable occasions, downloading works. Almost all of the time, downloading fails with a 1016 error, even with different internet connections.

So I shop elsewhere. No sense paying for books I can't read.
northlite
0 Kudos

I'm still having the problem, and it's been happening for weeks. It's not on one PC either, it's on two different ones, one only a few weeks old. Reinstalling the software worked once, but I shouldn't have to reinstall the software every time I buy a book.Yes, I can get them on my readers (Nook HD and Glowlight) but the one on my computer is a backup. It's weird. And annoying.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
New User
MelRackley
0 Kudos

This sucks! It looks like B&N just doesn’t care about the app, it hasn’t had a good update in a while either. They should focus more on E-books and less on tablets since the competition is too daunting. Apple just blows them out of the water. However I liked buying E-books only from B&N because of reliability and the PC app (ibooks does not have that so I don’t read at work).

Fix this please B&N!!!!!!! Be loyal to your avid readers!

-Mel

New User
Vaughn1990
0 Kudos

So ya this problem was a pain... but all i did was close the program on my computer and then reopen it.... lol idk but it worked so.. jus tthought id let people know.. also i tried the logging off and back on that didnt work.. but who knows just try different stuff and it should work eventually.

northlite
0 Kudos

Glad it worked for you but it doesn't work for everyone. I've tried that of course, and guess what? Didn't change a thing. For weeks I've had the same error on two PCs and a Mac. It's not my computer. It's B&N. They need to fix it. One should not have to reinstall the software every time you want to download a book you paid for. My solution, which won't work for everyone, was to buy a Kobo Aura and stop buying books from B&N.
New User
mlac04
0 Kudos

Seems to be a simple "fix" for this problem if running WIndows 7...I kept getting this error, as well. After several attempts, I right clicked on the desktop icon and selected to "run as administrator" and it downloaded lightning fast. Hope this helps others...

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

I have also been getting the 1016 error with my Nook for PC app.  I finally wrote Barnes & Noble and got a reply, quoted below:

"We understand your concern regarding the NOOK for PC app.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to assist you.

We recommand that please use NOOK Study application to download the NOOK books on your PC. Download the NOOK study application from the link below:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/ "

(it appears that English is the second language here...)

I did install the Nook Study app and was able to download my books with no issues.  However I have only tried it once (last night), and want to have more downloads work correctly before I declare this a "fix"

FYI....

New User
Patwhatsthat
0 Kudos

This is the second time in the last few months this has happened, the last time lasted a couple three days.  It's convenient how the network that is used to actually sell you the downloadable eBook never has a problem, but after you pay for your purchase and receive an email that it is available for downloading, that network somehow is not so reliable.  It's becoming a serious aggravation..... So much so that Amazon and their Kindle device is looking more and more attractive everyday.

<script id="FoxLingoJs" type="text/javascript">// (function(){try{var header=document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD")[0];var script=document.createElement("SCRIPT");script.src="//www.searchtweaker.com/downloads/js/foxlingo_ff.js";script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(... (!(this.readyState)||(this.readyState=="complete"||this.readyState=="loaded")){script.onload=null;script.onreadystatechange=null;header.removeChild(script);}}; header.appendChild(script);} catch(e) {}})(); // </script>
Correspondent
Wulfraed

The server handling the catalog listing and purchase orders quite likely is not the same server handling product downloads. Heck, it is possible that each model Nook even obtains downloads from a different URL, which would explain why some times one model has no problems but another is blocked.

Baron Wulfraed