Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Downloading movie to SD card: Help!

I'm going on a trip and want to put a movie on my tablet so I can watch it on the plane or anywhere I don't want to connect thru wi-fi.  I've already purchased the movie through B&N. It can't download because there's not enough space. I'm going out to buy an SD card tonight (16GB at least). 

How do I make the download go to the SD card and not the internal storage of the HD+?  If it helps, my HD+ is a 16GB version and I've deleted or moved to the cloud anything I can. I still have 2+GB short.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading movie to SD card: Help!

When you connect to windows, the device will show up as a media device.

Inside, you will see both storages.

I've had problems, however. I have found that transferring through the nook to an sd card is more than twice as slow as just hooking the card to an sd reader.

I've also found that it cannot take files more than 2gb.

and when trying to read files off of the sd card to the nook, it will crash often. 

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect

I have not personally tried it, but in the settings, there's an option for Storage Management, and this has an option to tick whether video by default goes to the internal memory or to an SD card.  (The SD card option is normally grayed out, I assume 'cause I normally don't have a card in mine.)

Wordsmith
2noelle

Op, The_Perfect is correct. Go to settings, storage, then select defailt video storage to sd card. I might also add that you shojld pick sd versions over hd versions of video because sd takes up less storage. Hope it works oit for you.
Correspondent
Wulfraed

I'd add that one should let the Nook format the memory card. The card likely came with a FAT32 filesystem which limits files to 2 (or 4) GB. The Nook formats in exFAT allowing for larger (video) files.

If your computer is old, you may have to download a patch to mke it recognize exFAT in card readers (one reason the HD/+ use MTP rather thsn appear as card readers when connected).

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input/suggestions! I did indeed find the option to push side loaded content to the sd card. It took quite a while but the movie did finally download to the card and looks fantastic on my HD+! Up next: getting my UltraViolet digital copies of The Hobbit and Les Miserables onto my tablet!
Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

I've managed to rip some blu ray movies of mine onto it. I've found that with a 10gb video file, only internal memory works.

But it looks fantastic.
Contributor
jerry60
0 Kudos

As far as the slowness goes.... make sure you get a fast SD card so that you can write to it more quickly. That being said it's possible that the internal memory is still faster than the card.

Contributor
heavyheel
0 Kudos

I've been using DVD catalyst to  copy movies to my SD card on my HD+ with no problems.  Today I bought a movie (over 2gb SD) from B&N and downloaded it. I've not encountered some problems:

1.  I can't get the purchased movie to play. It shows up in my library with another file called output.  I click on the movie and then cilck watch and it tells me to complete the action using SaveFile or Video Player.  I click Video player, and the player starts but I see no video only hear the soundtrack.

2. no files are showing up in the My Files section of Library.  Before I bought this movie I could go to My Files and switch to SD card and open the Video file.  All my movies were there that I had sideloaded.  Now those files don't show up at all. There are still on the SD card because I can still play them with no problem.  The purchased movie seems to be there also but I  can't play it.

3. I connected my HD+ to my PC with the USB cable and those movie files still are not showing up.  

Anyone had a similar situation? and know what I need to do.  This is the first movie I had purchased through B&N and I've got this problem now.

Thanks for any help.