Contributor
rw5373
0 Kudos

E-mail app buggy

Anyone else having problems with the Nook HD email app. Mine works for 1, sometimes 2 days before refusing to launch or going missing (literally "the email app could not be found( The only solution is a hard reset - its getting quite boring doing a full reset and restore every 48 hrs just so I can use email. No flash, no email, no decent apps..... the Nook HD is looking more like an early beta at best. Beginning to regret not buying a kindle! The hardware isn't as good but at least Kindle's work! Robert
Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

Re: E-mail app buggy

haven't had any issues with Nook HD+

Contributor
rw5373
0 Kudos

Out of interest.... I have 2 IMAP accounts in email... when it works. How are you using the app? (account types etc) Robert
Inspired Correspondent
Sandan53
0 Kudos

It seems that there must be something wrong with your nook. I have three email accounts and they work great.
Exchange, google, and comcast
Everyone says that they are listening but, no one remembers what was said.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Have you tried the K9 email app available free in the BN App Store?  I found it worked better on my NC and it works well on my HD+ - never even tried the stock app on the +.

Contributor
sgsmith23
0 Kudos

Have you set up a child profile on your device? I kept having the same issue you are having until I deleted the child profile I had created. And it's not a problem with my physical device. I returned my first hd because I thought it was a hardware issue but this one does it too.
Contributor
lovemynook77
0 Kudos

I am having exact same problem with email app, returned first hd also thinking it was a hardware problem and now my second one is doing the same thing, works for a little while then dissapears, I am very frustrated!Grrrr, hope it canbe fixed!
Contributor
lovemynook77
0 Kudos

Sgsmith was correct as soon as I erased my child profile my email app came back, this bug definitly needs to be fixed!
Contributor
rw5373
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have a child profile but I've tried deleting it and the email app is still missing in action. I like the idea of using an alternative email app.... but I'm in the UK and the UK app store has next to nothing available (including a complete lack of alternative mail clients and flash!... neither of which are presumed to be important by B&N apparently!) About the only app they do have is Angry Birds!.... seriously regretting buying a nook right now as the UK software and apps are just atrocious! :-( Robert
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Robert,

they have something like 4,000 apps available.

What types of apps are you interested in? We have some of our apps available in UK. Links are below my post.

Or you can search for 5ivedom.

Also, you can go to nook.co.uk and search for 'app' to see all the apps available - http://uk.nook.com/s/app?[s]keyword=app

I see 4,537 results at the moment.

Contributor
rw5373
0 Kudos

Facebook, Flash player, BBC Media player, ITV Player, an alternative email app, BBC News app, ebay app, wkipedia app..... Those would do for start - they are all big apps on iphone and android systems.... but not available to uk nook users!
New User
hno22
0 Kudos

I had the same issue. You need to de-register your device and re-register. It will let you set up a kids profile and the email will work fine until you open the kids profile (regardless of the parental controls).

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

oh ok.

A lot of those apps are available in the US. I think they will arrive over time. I don't think the Big ones like BBC Media Player etc. are going to arrive until more Nook HDs and HD+s have been sold.

Not sure why apps Like K9 email and ebay and wikipedia aren't available yet.

Why not use the wikipedia site and ebay site. I can understand the others being better as apps. But things like m.facebook.com and the mobile ebay site and wikipedia should work fine in the browser.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hi Robert, The lack of apps in the uk store is a bit of a shocker. I also find the app shop is hard work. The "app finder "app finds apps on the USA site, so no help. The new apps list isn't up to date. Always shows Angry Birds as new, but Napster announced on Twitter took a week to be shown. I know that I have been advised to contact the app owner if I want to see the app on Nook. The apps missing in UK like Flash, bbc and 4OD are from major organisations. I very much doubt they have even heard of Nook, let alone have plans to submit their apps for approval. When I first realised that Flash was absent I tried to submit a request to Adobe. Their website was complex and restrictve in the 'contact us' department, and I couldn't use it. I ended up posting the request to their facebook page which was ignored. And yes, if there were a lot more Nook owners, these organisations might be more focussed on them. But there aren't. Realistically getting these fundamental entertainment apps for Nook would need to come from B&N.
Contributor
rw5373
0 Kudos

AlbionRose - I agree - its a bit chicken and egg.... but I reckon responsibility lies with B&N - they chose to restrict the Nook to their own version of Android - they chose to prevent us installing apps that haven't made it into the app store - they chose to make a tablet and market it in the UK including featuring its "full" internet capability..... It really was up to B&N to make sure the device and UK app store were ready for the market. The longer the problems go unfixed - the worse the buying reviews will get as more and more disgruntled purchasers vent online - and the worse the future for the Nook HD looks in the UK.
Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

One thing that was a major help to me was a friend with a linux laptop running ADB who sideloaded Flash via an APK file he found on the XDA site.

This meant that in a single step I had access to BBC iplayer, 4OD, ITV ondemand, and clips in facebook,

I am able to access email using my isp server site, as the email app doesn't work for me. Same for other apps linked to websites - I use the desktop versions of the sites where I can.

So aside from the ghost copies of files from the sd card appearing whenever there is a 'kernel panic' and messing up the gallery and music player, things were looking up :smileyhappy:

The sideloading wasn't straightforward - there was an issue with the HD+ not being seen by the laptop, but googling this helped to resolve it http://sahd.lamafam.org/?tag=nook-tablet

I phoned customer services again yesterday, and they confirmed that they were still working on a Flash fix, though I had phoned them on a different matter.

There are other options, including XDA's Verygreen's work getting Jellybean to work on HD+ , though the thread isn't clear on whether it works for HD too. I suspect not yet, which is why the N2A card for HD isn't out yet either. This gives you full access to all android apps, including bbcmedia player.

I hope that you find some fixes that help until these issues are resolved via updates. I found that asking for a 'service request number' for my calls to CS seems to create a paper trail and means that my issues are escalated to the techies, and easy to follow up on.

Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

AlbionRose, we have a new app coming out soon that helps find new apps.

It doesn't have a UK filter but it does correctly let you see newest apps and search and sort by various criteria.

If in 2013 I get the chance I'll get a modified version done that pulls data from the UK website and covers only UK apps.

However, can't promise anything - it depends on amount of free time and also on how the UK website is structured.

Reader 4
arturero
0 Kudos

rANT, rANT,raVE,rant, rant, RAVE, RAVE, SNARL, ***%$*@@!!!!, w h i n e, WHine, whINE, sniffle, whimper, WAaaaaaH!!!!!, DON;T wANNa, will not.   No, you stupid!   Me mad.  don't care.  Go 'way.  Not Funnny!!.  WHY?!!  i'M goin' home!!!   So What!.  Yeah, easy for you to say!!!!.   

Gosh, I feel better now.  Hope all of you do too.  :smileyhappy: