Contributor
sgsmith23
0 Kudos

Email, Contacts, Calendar repeatedly crash - problem with child profiles?

[ Edited ]

I ordered my nook hd+ off the website and received the first one in the mail on Wed. 11/14. The first thing I did was customize some settings including setting up a child profile for my nephew. Then I discovered the email, contacts, and calendar app would not work on my profile anymore. Contacts and calendar crashed and email would not start at all. I took it into the store and after they talked to tech support they did a factory reset. It worked fine until the next day when the problem reoccurred. On Fri. 11/16 I went to the store again and exchanged it. My new one seemed to work much better - until yesterday. Email, contacts and calendar stopped working again until I did another factory reset. I have now configured my nook 3 times and am not happy! There is a massive software glitch somewhere. The one common thread seems to be that the problem happens after I set up and use a second profile for my nephew. His profile is set to only allow certain children's apps and it was after he used my nook yesterday that the email, etc. stopped working. The email app actually seems to uninstall itself completely and calendar and contacts will start up but crash as soon as I try to add an account to them. I get a very unhelpful message that just says, "Calendar has stopped working." with no other details. My hd+ is currently working but I have deleted the children's profiles from my device and am not using them anymore until I am sure this is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Please respond!

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Email, Contacts, Calendar repeatedly crash - problem with child profiles?

Did you install the update (2.0.4?) that was released yesterday (11/21/12) yet???  Has this addressed any of the issues you are having?

Contributor
sgsmith23
0 Kudos

The apps all crashed before I installed the update. I then restarted the nook and installed the new update but it did not fix the problem. Then I did a factory reset and that seemed to solve the problem (at least for now). I also made sure the software was updated and it has been working fine since last night. My concern is that if I use the children's profiles it will crash again. I am planning to use it for a few days and see what happens . . .

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

IMO, you SHOULD put the child profile back on and test it to see if the update addressed this or not.  And then let others know your results.  B&N never really says what's in the update (didn't look this time, so watch, they did!)

Contributor
sgsmith23
0 Kudos

After using my HD+ with no problems all weekend, I made sure I had the latest software and then tried to add a child profile to the device. As soon as I used the profile once the email, contacts and calendar app crashed again. Email would not even open and calendar and contacts both crashed as soon as I opened them. I have now t=done a factory reset for the 4th time since I got the device. Everything else seems to work fine but as soon as I set up a child profile I run into this problem. I emailed BN tech support and got back a message that said they were aware of the issue and working on a fix, but the email read like a generic form letter so I have my doubts. Has anyone else experienced issues with child profiles?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

sgsmith,

I haven't used email contacts etc. But I used other features with child profiles enabled on HD+ and it didn't cause any problems.