Reader
mamato
0 Kudos

Email crashing and poor battery life

Does anybody know if/when a new software update will be released to fix the email app crashing and the poor battery life? My email app crashes everyday now on my HD. Not a big deal but the battery life problem is. There is something running when the device is idle that is sucking up battery life. My battery is full in the morning and by the time I get home from work it is half gone and it's been idle the whole time.

Lack of software updates is going to kill the Nook. These are small problems and should be fixed quickly.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Email crashing and poor battery life

Get this app called App Killer from the store. Figure out what is running in the background and KILL IT and if possible Uninstall it.

Then your battery life problem is solved.

Reader
mamato
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll get the App Killer a try. It just sucks that BN's development team doesn't provide a fix for an obvious bug.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Check how your email is set up. If set to check for new mail every 5 minutes, it will use a lot of battery life, even if wifi off and you arent using it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

They might not know what causes the bug.

When you're talking about something like email you have so many different variables it's really hard to cover everything.

I agree they can make improvements. It's difficult. They need a lot of information and it's an almost impossible problem to solve.

Reader
mamato
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies. I should also mention the this problem started happening after the latest (January) software update. Before that I had no problems with email or battery life. That's what leads me to believe that it's a software bug.  With so many people complaining about the same types of issues it should of been addressed already. They must have a small development team which scares me. I want the Nook to be successful and from a business point this is not how you do it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mamato, that's intresting. So it's only after the update that the problems started for you?

My understanding is that it's a mix of an in-house team and a company that does some work for B&N.

I don't think that's ideal. Ideally you want the team 100% in-house so that they don't have any conflicting objectives and are readily available.

Reader
mamato
0 Kudos

Yes, it started only after the update. As a software developer myself, I know how this process works and ideally the development team and testing team should be together or at least from the same company. It's very hard to do multi-site development in the same company let alone different companies. You really have to over communicate between the developers/tester and management or you don't get things done very fast. As seems the case here.  I just hope they get it together and this doesn't kill the Nook.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I hope so too.

They have beautiful hardware. And tthe stores do a good job and the people working in stores are very good.

From what I've seen of the Nook Team they are very good too.

If they can figure out their software angle they can really make a fight of it.

Plus lots of Nook customers are sticking with Nooks. And they have all those stores which their competitors don't.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

Does your Nook HD/HD+ have more than one user account?.... If so.. the only way to stop the crashing. is deleting all the sub accounts, and rebooting the nook..(full power off after the accounts are removed)...

Sometimes killing the mail app and restarting it will fix it temporarily... As well as five's suggestion of reducing the polling frequency for mail...

If you do not want to delete the sub accounts, what you can do is use K9 Mail... its a workaround, not a fix... Mail is in need of some updates...

-b