Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

Fathers profile updating my reading list

I took my hd+ home with me for a visit and set up a secondary profile for my father so he could try it out. He rapidly fell in love with it, so much so that he has been reading more than he has in a long while. However, whenever he opens a book to read it seems to update the recent book list on my profile, as well as on the nook ipad app I have been using... Is it supposed to work like this? I am thinking of gifting it to him.... But would like to avoid his reading interfering with mine if I can
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Fathers profile updating my reading list

Is it changing the last page read or just the most recently read list?  

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

I always go back to library page when I quit reading ( I read more than one book at a time usually) so I don't know if it would change last page read as well as list. I will try it and see.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's interesting.

So you're saying that if your father, on a secondary profile, reads a book, it shows up on your Recently Read List in your primary account?

I'm not sure why that would happen or how to bypass it.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Are you thinking of gifting him the HD+ and you'll just read through the iPad app?  If so, to answer your question, yes, I am seeing some quirks in the iPad's app's most recently read list for books on both profiles as well.  (Seems to be remembering the correct page numbers in each profile for a book, but the list itself is combined if the book is on each profile.)  Here was my test:

Set up a profile for my DH on the HD+ a few weeks ago (whenever FT pointed out that profiles were active in the iPad app.)  Added 30-40 books that I thought he might be interested in.  On the HD+, as I switch from profile to profile, the most recent list works as one would expect it to.  (It's keeping the profile's separate.)  Don't have 2 HD devices so have no idea if it is working properly from device to device (Maybe 5ivedome can test this out?)

Then set up the Nook app on DH's iPad and changed to his profile.  Had it set up initially to sort by author.  Changed it to most recent.  Went back to the HD, opened a book in his profile, then went back to ipad MY profile and it is showing up as the most recent book (because this particular book was in both profiles.) Which is where your problem lies.

This is just an idea.  Can you set up another profile for yourself "MyReadingNow" or something (you might have to do this from the HD+, not sure if possible to set up profile yet from iPad app.)  From the ipad app, you can assign content to the profiles.  Assign the couple of books that you are reading right now and maybe some you always want access to in this profile.  It's a few more steps in managing the content but I think it will allow you to do what you want. 

I am doing it the other way around (managing and reading from HD+, giving access to hubby on his iPad.)  Am interested in learning whatever other quirks you've noticed, workarounds, etc.  {But someone is claiming his iPad back, so can't test it anymore now, but let me know if it works.:smileyhappy:}

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1

Thanks to everyone who responded - lots of things to try on my next visit home.

Dad loved the HD+ so much compared to the 1st gen e-ink device he had been using that I did indeed give it to him. I have found the nook app on my iPad works so well when I am actually reading that I could not really justify keeping the HD+ for backup for me when Dad would get so much more use from it (He would never buy one for himself or accept a new one from me...). 

I did not want to register it in his name since so much of the content I have accumulated is content he also enjoys.

What is working for me is marking the book I am currently reading on the iPad as content he does not have access to (while I am reading it) so it does not show up on his secondary list and confuse him.

I still use my glowlight a lot for extensive reading so its not a big deal seeing what he is reading on my list when I am using the nook app to fill in when I am waiting on an appointment or something.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

It occurs to me that if I marked the book Dad is reading as content not accessible to me (not sure if its possible to do this for content registered to the primary user from the iPad app) maybe it would disappear from my list... I could then get it back later since I can access his profile if I ever needed to....

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

For some reason, thats striking me as a bad idea.  Probably cuz I want one place to see all purchased content.  (Havent looked into how Nook for pc is behaving lately, and I like to download and backup purchases.)  Thats why suggested another profile for you.  

And kudos to you for being such a good kid and giving him your device!  The HD+ is so different from the NE1, he'll enjoy it a lot!

Let us know what you come up with and how it works out.

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

Hypatia1 wrote:

It occurs to me that if I marked the book Dad is reading as content not accessible to me (not sure if its possible to do this for content registered to the primary user from the iPad app) maybe it would disappear from my list... I could then get it back later since I can access his profile if I ever needed to....

Rather than making it not accessible on the primary profile, make a profile for you.  The primary profile on mine is "Everything" which includes all the free books and stuff that I might never read, then there's my personal profile which has the books I've purchased specifically for reading, and lastly a "cooking" profile which has all of the cooking magazines and cookbooks, to have them all collected in one place.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What NookGardener said:

And kudos to you for being such a good kid and giving him your device!  The HD+ is so different from the NE1, he'll enjoy it a lot!

This thread has convinced me to buy my mom a Nook HD+ or a Surface Tablet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions...the separate profile makes sense.....and if we turned out well the credit goes to our parents who deserve to benefit from all those times they put us first....