Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT

Flash for HD+ using free B&N plug in (New 2013 info)

Elsewhere on these forums, this issue has some long and confusing topics with interesting debates but not a lot of specific info in one place. I have learned from the posts here and thank all contributors on all topics I have read. Let me reciprocate and provide some updated info in one place:

Flash is an Adobe programming tool for encoding and playback and displaying animated and video content in web pages. The newer websites should be coding in "html5" but there never has been a lot of success forcing protocols on anyone for the Web or for games. 

The HD+ built in browser default, when you use the Web icon, was changed from the Android "native" browser to Chrome, Spring 2013. The Android browser used a flash "plug in" you still had to add, so unless you got that before Chrome, you won't have Flash on the HD+. Chrome doesn't support Flash, anyway.

Unless you want to get into the "sideloading apps" functionality, then you can install any of the browsers that provide Flash support via their own encoding-decoding. They process it on their server so your device doesn't do the processing. Examples: Dolphin and Puffin. You also can install a "local Flash app" that makes your locally stored Flash Games work, but that won't be used for websites.

Flash is no longer supported by Adobe for Android, that is why it is so hard to find. For a true Android device, you can install "free range" apps to access Flash from the Adobe archives, but the Nooks don't allow for this.

I have installed 6 browser apps and the "Browser Switch" program, so that I can compare as I surf, and one url can be passed to another browser when surfing on Chrome and hitting a page that Chrome won't handle for me. I installed Puffin Free (with a count down of free Flash days) and just last week was thinking I might pay for the real version. Then the Free Friday Puffin App appeared, so I got it.

They all handle Flash differently. Puffin Flash loads ads as soon as I browse to a page with ads (and gets stuck and keeps looping at times...), but Dolphin doesn't do that, for instance. Puffin has choppy playback but I can pass the same url to another browser and it plays fine. Maxthon and Photon are two other browsers I have been trading out using. I really like Firefox, as it allows you to save a webpage as a pdf, but it needed a Flash add in (plug in).

I have been reading and rereading these topics since I got the HD+ during the June sale, and I finally came across a post with this link to the Browser Flash Plug In from B&N:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/browser-plugin-barnes-and-noble/1113914386?ean=2940043651563

It can't be found by searching; you have to use that link.

It is free. Once you buy it, it appears in your Library under Apps. Tap it there, to download and install it. Open it and check your settings. Open your browsers and check for settings for plug ins or add ons, but for a browser that has "enable Flash" as its own feature, you should be able to leave that off, as you should see Flash-enabled content with either a "click here to enable plug in" displayed on the web page, or it should just run when you open a web page that requires it.

Then, using your HD+ web browser for this topic, go to these links:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

http://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf

Those are different tester pages. If you really are geeky, go here:

http://flashtester.org/

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

Re: Flash for HD+ using free B&N plug in (New 2013 info)

[ Edited ]

So your browser of choice is Firefox with the B&N plug in?

What about those of us who did get Flash installed from Adobe (very easy)? Which browser should we use?

Frankly it would be great if we could just have the native Android browser.  I haven't figured out how to sideload it.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

My browser of choice for Flash content is also Firefox. I don't have the BN Flash. I have enabled sideloading on my HD/HD+ and loaded Flash from Adobe's archived player page. Puffing lags way too much to be useful for the streaming racing I want to watch.
Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

Swedereades wrote:
My browser of choice for Flash content is also Firefox. I don't have the BN Flash. I have enabled sideloading on my HD/HD+ and loaded Flash from Adobe's archived player page. Puffing lags way too much to be useful for the streaming racing I want to watch.

Any special settings that need to be enabled on Firefox or as long as you have Flash (from Adobe) installed you are good to go? 

How about any of the other browsers?  I'm a bit unclear if having (real) Flash installed is enough or do you have to enable something on the browser too.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Firefox, in Settings > Content > Plug Ins, has three radio buttons: Enabled, Tap to Play, or Disabled.

I use Chrome typically and first, since the Web icon is convenient. I never set a default, so I can choose every time, when coming across links in a downloaded document or in an app. Which browser to use depends on your typical Web activity. I typically don't go to commercial sites and don't want embedded content right away. For example, I don't go to TMZ or Hulu. I moderate and frequent some forums and I like to visit "f my life" even on the Nook 1st Edition.

Don't overlook how browsers give different results when you change two settings: Ask for Desktop Site instead of mobile; and change your User Agent option. Dolphin offers five radio buttons: Android,  Desktop, iPhone, iPad, and Custom. Maxthon has nearly the same options, but No Agent instead of Custom. Photon offers Android, Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari.

I just launched the Photon browser and Activate Flash is not selected, yet this test page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

is showing that little moving ball and displays a box listing my Flash Player version, your OS (underlying build), and "Your Browser" which will change each time you change the UA (user agent) setting.

I got tired of lugging both the Nook 1st Edition and a computer when traveling, and intend for the HD+ to meet both needs. So far, I have been able to do this just fine but am still finetuning which apps work and don't work for the tools I need to have available.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

The latest version on Dolphin needs you to have the Flash plugin (from USA B&N store) or to have sideloaded Flash using ADB if you can't access the USA store to get the plugin.

I think that paid Puffin is the only browser I have heard of with Flash built-in.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I've be been using Dolphin for a few weeks but just got Flash installed. Dolphin must be rendering on their server. Photon also renders Flash.
Frequent Contributor
Aristotelian
0 Kudos

I just came across this and found that it works for the Chrome browser in 2.1.1. I am a Chrome user and did not want to switch browsers just to watch videos. I used this method and all of a sudden I can watch videos in Chrome. Thanks for posting this. 

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

Aristotelian wrote:

I just came across this and found that it works for the Chrome browser in 2.1.1. I am a Chrome user and did not want to switch browsers just to watch videos. I used this method and all of a sudden I can watch videos in Chrome. Thanks for posting this. 

I thought Chrome doesn't support Flash, no matter what you have installed.

Did you try the test sites that were listed?  You are probably seeing videos in the other format.

Frequent Contributor
Aristotelian
0 Kudos

Oops, you are right. For some reason some videos are working that did not previously, but the test pages fail. Maybe I will switch to Firefox.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Aristotelian wrote:

Oops, you are right. For some reason some videos are working that did not previously, but the test pages fail. Maybe I will switch to Firefox.

It's unfortunate that Boat Browser shows as not compatible with the HD+.  I've sideloaded the app and it works extremely well, including with Flash.  I've contacted the developer team to see why it shows as not compatible with the HD+.

Reader
BugdocWI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
@BassmanMT...Using your post I'm using Browser Switch and Firefox. Working like a dream. Thanks so much. (Why couldn't B&N do this for us?)
Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Glad to help. Many posts on these forums have been useful for me as we still have N1Es in the family. Last week when my HD+ froze at 99% loading, the reset put me all the way back to the original browser which I had never seen. By bringing in the flash plug in from your BN account, I realize that means you will always get it back. I recently started using the Wondershare player someone recommended, for downloading a UK TV show I like, to watch offline, and it might have updated the flash. I haven't looked into the versions, yet.
Reader
latamise
0 Kudos

I am a UK Nook HD+ user.  The B&N Flash plugin is available to download in US only!  Any suggestions?!

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
bru20
0 Kudos

latamise wrote:

I am a UK Nook HD+ user.  The B&N Flash plugin is available to download in US only!  Any suggestions?!

Thank you!

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that if you can't get the plug-in, Flash can be sideloaded.  Using ADB is the "official" method but there are easier ways to enable sideloading.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

As I mention, I think the Wondershare Player updated flash. You could install it and then run a flash test, not using the default Chrome browser but try Firefox to see if you get the Tap Here To Activate Plug In icon. See if it works. Let us know. 

New User
BrotherJohnNH
0 Kudos

Thank you for an excellent answer and links to the B&N app.  Once I installed the app and downloaded Firefox flash worked.  The Firefox Beta seems to be alot smoother.

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Glad to help. 

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

Flash is there, but not enabled?

I followed the instructions but it did not work. I'm using the Chrome browser that came installed on the HD+ Nook. According to Adobe, Flash is directly integrated with Chrome and automatically enabled, so I don't know why Iit's not operational or why I'd need a browser plug-in unless that's some weird Nook thing.

I downloaded the BN  browser plugin app and installed it because I kept getting messages that I didnt' have Flash on my Nook. When I opened the pluging to check the settings, all I got was a totally black page: https://settings.adobe.com/flashplayer/mobile was the address.

So I went to Adobe's helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html page. It said I had Flash installed on Chrome but it wasn't enabled. So then I followed Adobe's instructions and I went to chrome:smileytongue:lugins, but was told that page didn't exist.

So then I followed the Chrome instructions and I went to the Chrome settings, to Advanced Settings, to Privacy, to Content Settings, and when I got there, there was no Plugins section (as there should have been) where I could pick Run Automatically or Click to Play.

I'm not sure what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Re: Flash is there, but not enabled?

Mobile Chrome does not support Flash. Get a different browser, such as Firefox or Dolphin. I have about 8 installed right now. 

Go to the top of this topic where I included some links to tester pages.