Contributor
DMH_Brooklyn
0 Kudos

Format change on digital magazines?

Has anyone noticed that the format for digital magazines (at least some of them) has changed?

I subscribe to both The New Yorker and Wired, print version with a digital download through the BN store. The downloads used to be fairly functional:

• easy to scroll through
  • all pages in an article conveniently displayed vertically in thumbnails
  • links that open, and
  • interactive features

The latest issues of both mags has changed, essentially opening in the Nook's Reader app with none of the features above.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to get the old, better format back?

Wordsmith
PJLLB

Re: Format change on digital magazines?

I think the digital editions of the magazines are created by the publisher, not B&N.  Some are better than others.  It looks like your magazine publisher took a step back.

New User
whatevaz
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem -- New Yorker stopped working properly as of 9/23 issue. Spent long time on phone with BN.com and they were nice but couldn't help. New Yorker tech support useless. Beyond frustrated.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

To echo what PJLLB said, it is the publishers who create the magazines just like they create the books and catalogs and newspapers.  If you don't like the new format, please contact the publisher directly and let your displeasure be known.  Remember to be polite, you know sugar and vinegar and all of that.

Aloha,

Davan

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I bet this has something to do with the New Yorker, at least, now being on

-eink platforms

- nook and kindle lcd platforms [at three different resolutions per lcd setup - 1024, 1440 and 1900 for the hd - and each of those did use a different layout!]

- a play accessible version that needs to run on a zillion resolutions

getting the right layouts made and sent each issue possibly led to a decision to try using fewer formats, and degraded usability for nooks.

I just looked at the play version, and it's slow to work with until it finishes coming in;  then it's reasonable and has adjustable font sizes (but more adjustment would be nice.) 

You can try a free subscription on Play and see what you think of it.  The rate for the Play variant of the New Yorker is 60/year.  I like the much smaller, more portable layouts I get from the Nook Touch but the convenience of having things available in Play across more devices ...  It's very interesting now that BN has either their version or the Play subscription to compare to. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
DakotaBailey
0 Kudos

This is not correct. The issue is with the Nook and not the New Yorker. The magazine appears with all of the features on the i-phone.
Contributor
DakotaBailey
0 Kudos

Have you gotten any help on this? I have called Barnes and Noble several times and have been told I will get a call back. Nothing.
Contributor
DakotaBailey
0 Kudos

It is not the Barnes and Noble cannot help. The issue is with them and not the New Yorker.
Contributor
DakotaBailey
0 Kudos

This is not correct. I've spoken to the New Yorker. They release a single version of their magazine and it is still fine on the other e-readers. This is a Barnes and Noble issue that they will not take responsibility for. 

New User
scoota

Hi there,

I just spoke with a very helpful support rep at B&N.  Evidently, the formatting problem is with the Nook's AMV (Adobe Media Viewer) update.  The Nook tech people are still working on the update, but once it is ready they will automatically push it to Nooks (as long as you are on WiFi, it should update). Unfortunately, she was not able to give me a timeframe.

Contributor
DMH_Brooklyn
0 Kudos

I emailed Nook support and haven't heard back at all.

How could it be possible that B&N has changed features on us for a digital magazine? Would they change it into a "mere" PDF, which is essentually what Wired and The New Yorker have become?

Contributor
DMH_Brooklyn
0 Kudos

Just saw response from Scoota here. Here's hoping that the solution comes soon.

roustabout
0 Kudos

If the folks answering calls for the New Yorker said that 'they release a single version of their magazine' then those folks are wrong.

They currenly release at a minimum 3:

e-ink for Nook (NST, NSTG, N1E)

e-ink for Kindle (the various mono kindles)

color for LCD

When I last had a New Yorker sub on LCD nooks, there were at least two layouts for those devices - two separate files to distribute;  the layouts were tied to screen size. 

My impression is that they may well be trying to go to a single color format, and that would be great. 

I'd be surprised if the color edition was already able to cover the Apple devices, stock Android devices, the Nook and the Kindle, though. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
DakotaBailey
0 Kudos

Here is the answer:

"Dear Subscriber:

Barnes & Noble chose not to update the software needed to run our 
interactive apps going forward.

Therefore the only version available for the Nook through Barnes & Noble
will be in PDF format from now on.

You can view your digital issues on the iPad, iPhone or Kindle Fire in 
enhanced form.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

If you should need further assistance, please be sure to include all 
previous e-mail correspondence.

Thank you for contacting The New Yorker Digital Reader Subscriber 
Support.

Sincerely,

Kari"

If you want this fixed, you need to ask Barnes and Noble to fix it.

Frequent Contributor
Davan

What NOOK device or app are you seeing this with?  The NOOK Color?  If so it is indeed the fault of the software on the device, however as you probably already know, the Color has hit end of life.  When a device or software becomes end of life it receives no further updates.  The NOOK Color uses Adobe's AMV (Adobe Media Viewer) software and that would need to be updated to work with the new update that CN has come up with.

I know this does not help your issue, but it is what it is.  When Technology hits EoL that is it, no more updates come out for that bit of Tech.

New User
WordCat
0 Kudos

I, too, when through repeated frustration trying to understand what was going on with my New Yorker on my Nook Tablet. I went around and around, and this is the first place to give me a real answer.

I am incredibly annoyed because I hate this current format that took place on 9/23. But from what I have read on this forum earlier, B&N is trying to "come up with" a fix for this problem. I certainly hope that is the case -- because I am ready to start telling the masses to avoid buying a Nook in general and to CERTAINLY not subscribe to a magazine on one, since it is nearly impossible to read and lacks all the fun extra content and convenience of the pvs digital format. 

B&N, I hope you are listening and making that fix ...and will let us know when it happens. Because there was certainly NO warning about the format change, and it wasted a lot of time and mental energy on my part. Grrr.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Just curious.  Is this an issue with "digital magazines" as the subject line suggests, or is this an issue with The New Yorker?

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Just curious.  Is this an issue with "digital magazines" as the subject line suggests, or is this an issue with The New Yorker?

My experiance with Time and People is that they changed recently changed for ther better.  I can now zoom, have the article view, and can navigate better.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK. Tbere are two separate threads on this problem in the HD section. Some people are seeing it on the Tablet, some on the Color. It might help to post in the related thread, or at least specify which unit you're using. 

Oh yeah, has anyone seen the problem on an HD or HD+? 

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]