Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Re: Format change on digital magazines?

[ Edited ]

gb18 wrote:

Duplicated thread? 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/New-Yorker-issues-and-customer-service/m-p...

It seems that original poster has a Nook Color, so that thread should never have been in this HD/HD+ forum.

Contributor
DMH_Brooklyn
0 Kudos

I am the original poster, and I have an HD+ -- so yes, the post should be in this section. Is there a different thread from another type of Nook? I couldn't find one when I first posted.

Also, as stated, the problem is with two of my subscriptions: The New Yorker and Wired, both of which are owned by Conde Nast. Since PLLB said Time and People (two Time Warner pubs) have been improved, perhaps the issue is BN's deal with Conde Nast.

I haven't found any reference to a change with BN and Conde Nast. Maybe Conde no longer wants to provide workable digital mags for the Nook anymore?

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/New-Yorker-issues-and-customer-service/m-p...

Is the thread referred to where the op was using a color and the tablet came in later.

Freedom is not free.
Wordsmith
PJLLB

DMH_Brooklyn wrote:

I am the original poster, and I have an HD+ -- so yes, the post should be in this section. Is there a different thread from another type of Nook? I couldn't find one when I first posted.

I meant the original poster in the other thread about the New Yorker.

New User
RMatic
0 Kudos

This definitely appears to be a B&N Magazine Reader app change. I have digital subscriptions to Time and EW and both now appear just like the print magazine (probably a PDF format). For instance, the page layout is the same as that of the print magazine. And all of the extra features of the digital subscription (video, audio, more news article photos etc.) have been removed. Also even on the HD+ with a 10" screen, the font in the articles appears a little too small. This is definitely not an improvement.

Here's a humble request to B&N: Please bring back the old reader and all the extra features included in the digital magazine. Otherwise, I don't see the point to digital subscriptions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

B&N did not change the reader. The publishers updated the format for interactive content, and B&N failed to update the reader. When the new interactive magazine format would no longer work, they chose to distribute the non-interactive version of the magazine. Who to blame? Take your pick. Was it wrong of the publishers to update the content without clearing it with B&N first, or was it wrong for B&N not to devote resources to updating the reader program to read the new format?
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I subscribe to a lot of magazines & the problem seems to be pretty wide-spread. The only one of my  subscriptions that are currently interactive is People & PC World which uses it's own app. (Which does not work very well. All of my Conde Nast subscritions are affected as Time, Wired, New Yorker & PC Mag. I have both an HD+ & a NC but the issues are the same on both.

The reason I bought the HD+ was I enjoyed reading magazines on it. Now it's like reading them on Zinio - not so hot. In the main, the table of contents do not even work & it like reading a PDF doc. It's hard to believed that ALL of these magazines changed their format at approximately the same time. If BN's technology can't accomodate the changes they should not sell subscriptions.

I have friends reading the same publications on their Ipads & they have no problem. Also my sister uses a Kindle & is not having any problems with many of these same publications.

New User
RMatic
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, MacMcK1957. What can we do to get B&N to update their app to conform to the new format? Is someone on B&N monitoring this forum? If so, could you please let us know when we can get back the interactive layout which made magazine reading on the Nook, such a pleasure...? (I agree with previous poster too - we've even lost the clickable Table of Contents which was another delight)

Bibliophile
laurieb52

I don't receive any digitaI magazines that were affected by this change. However, I did receive the over the air Adobe update this weekend on my HD devices and am curious if the update corrected this issue for anyone?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
New User
RMatic

It appears that some over the air update has fixed this issue. I have digital subscriptions to Time and EW and the latest issues of both magazines brings back the old format - clickable ToC, bonus features, the works! Thank you, B&N or Adobe or whoever. Life is whole again! :-)

Contributor
DMH_Brooklyn
0 Kudos

I just received the current New Yorker download, the Nov. 25 issue, and the problem still exists: The issue is just a PDF magazine, without working links.

If the Adobe update someone mentioned is to Adobe Reader, that didn't solve the problem. My Reader updated on the 15th, so that wasn't a fix.

If publishers made a change in format (as someone mentioned) weeks ago and we've been complaining about it since, B&N needs to fix this. This is their format/software, and thus their responsibility. We've paid for working digital download subscriptions, with workable links, not just a Zinio/Issuu-type service.