Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

Re: Free App Friday

campyrs wrote:
Where do you find these Free Friday things? I have searched the B & N site and have found nothing on it. Thanks

To find the Free Friday goodies, go to the top of this page and select Blogs in the upper right.  When the Blogs page is displayed, click on The Nook Blog.  The Free Friday stuff is posted here, usually by 9 am EDT.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

At this link -  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-NOOK-Blog/bg-p/Unbound

Every Friday between 6 am and 9 am EST there's a post that mentions which book is the Free Friday Book.

There's also going to be a Free Friday App.

You can also download our Free Books Buddy App if you are on Color or Tablet - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/free-books-book-deals-buddy-5ivedom/1107587746?ean=2940043855831&itm...

Contributor
gnees
0 Kudos

Why do you have an app for the color and tablet, and not the HD and HD+? When I was had my color the free friday books showed up in my shop. I never needed an app.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Are the free book and free app available to UK Nook owners too or is it strictly USA/Canada only?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

gnees, because it was made when only Color and Tablet were sold. HD and HD+ use larger screen and higher resolution so app doesn't look right on it and is almost impossible to read book titles and such.

Albion Rose, some of the books are free in UK, some aren't. I'll have to check whether app is available for UK or not. Do you see it in the store if you search for 'books buddy'?

Contributor
gnees
0 Kudos

5ivedom, you did not read my whole post. On the nook color you saw the free Friday book in the shop. So an app is overkill and not needed. Now they do not show the free Friday deals in the shop on the HD+ So this is when an app would help, or put it back on the home page of the shop.

Sorry for the confusion.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

My NC never showed the Free Friday book.  I know some did...don't know why that is so.  To me, it's easy enough to check the blog on Fridays. I also got notices on Twitter & Facebook. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You should try the app. It's not just Free Friday book.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC

update just release for OfficeSuite Professional 7.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks for the headsup Nightfall.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Hi 5dom,

I checked in the UK store when I saw the post about office pro being free, but in our shop it still showed as £15.95 - about $25.

I cannot buy even free stuff from the USA shop because I don't have an American credit card, and whilst I understand that book stores have issues with international releases, its still frustrating.  

If I use your excellent AppBuddy to find an app & click on it, it often comes up as unavailable.

There is a book 'find of the day' touted by B&N via its UK Twitter account once a week or once a fortnight. Twitter post says it's 80% off - but when I have clicked to investigate, the shop still showed the book at £15 and now I don't bother making a special trip to Twitter to look for them.

So I was interested to know if the free book and free app would show up over here.....

The tip about searching the shop with '0.00' also works over here.

I understand your stance on 'free' apps and content, but if I'm honest it really hurts to buy an electronic copy of a book I have already bought a paper copy of at full price. At least when my music collection and now movie collection went digital I was able to convert my existing CD's and DVD's over, and just buy digitally from then on.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

AlbionRose, I agree with you that it should be buy once and get in both physical and digital form. The digital form is really cheap to 'duplicate' so at most it should be 10% or 20% more.

I think UK Nook sales are low so they don't have enough incentive.

I don't know of any UK centric Nook blogs or sites. Those would be the natural place to check for deals. Perhaps mobilereads has a Nook UK section. Not sure.

I think B&N should at least make the Daily Find and Free Friday offers available in the UK.

With Apps there are no territorial rights or anything. So if the developer has consented to sell app in the UK then Free Friday should be made available.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Thanks 5ivedom for the link!
Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

Does BN eat the cost of the sale or is it liek somewhere in the contract taht they can offer any item for free like this during promotions?

Amazon does that to its app makers.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

penname2 wrote:

Does BN eat the cost of the sale or is it liek somewhere in the contract taht they can offer any item for free like this during promotions?

Amazon does that to its app makers.

Unlinke Amazon's draconian pricing changes, BN is currently doing Free Fridays as an opt-in program for app developers interested in it.

http://onnook.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/free-fridays-now-with-apps/

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

So was there no Free Friday App today, 3/15? I didn't see it listed in the blog.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

There was: Jelly Flop (App, Free Friday) by Concrete Software. Price: $0. Genre: App. Rated
4.5 stars on 260 reviews.

FlyingToastr you beat me to it.

B&N has a much more agreeable method - If you want to get visibility, then volunteer.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC
0 Kudos

jellyflop is a pretty fun game too, I've been pleased so far with Free App Friday.

Frequent Contributor
penname2
0 Kudos

heh, I have the sneaking suspicion that I"ve met Tomatnook in person.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

5ivedom, thanks for the link. I sure didn't see it yesterday, but it's still free today, so I was able to get it.