Reader 2
Steve2
0 Kudos

Getting charged twice for ebooks

Is anyone else having issues where they are getting charged twice for ebooks? I keep gift cards on file for nook book purchases; lately, I am getting the amount deducted from 2 separate cards everytime I download a new book. I have spoken/chatted with NINE different people while trying to resolve this. FINALLY got someone who actually listen to me, saw that there was a problem. Still waitingfor the money to be put back on my card, but I am cautiously optimistic. I have other books I want to purchase, but I am afraid the problem han't been fixed...and I can't spend another two days and three hours trying to get a refund.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Getting charged twice for ebooks

I read there was some error and some people were getting charged twice. I didn't read anything about what the resolution was i.e. the people got a refund but there wasn't any information on whether or not the issue was fixed.

Wordsmith
2noelle

This happened to me today 4/4/13. I have 3 gift cards on file and they charged
Two of the three for the same amount. I called cs right away and was told that this was indeed strange, but it appears that one charge was a "preauthorization" and will drop off in 3-5 business days . Are they kidding me?! I will definitely be following up. Check your gift card balance (s) before purchasing your book, something's not right.
Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF

[ Edited ]
This is a known problem going on for about 2 weeks now. This is getting to be a pain . It happened to me twice a week apart. Both times CS acted like they didn't know why it happened. The "that's strange" is full of it. They did refund it quickly but still. After two weeks this problem should be resolved. I have praised CS/B&N for good service before. But this is costing us, the customer, valuable time getting it corrected. Even if it is a gift card glitch it is still our money. And we shouldn't be stressed every time we make a purchase of something that should be giving us pleasure.
Wordsmith
2noelle

I am so upset right now, I wanted them to refund the money as soon as I brought it to their attention. This is not going to work for me and as I said, I will be following up until it's corrected. Need us to buy books, b& n? Fix this glitch!
jamartMF

I forgot.to add the advice I got the second time this happened. I was advised to only keep one card on the account for now. I guess this would work. I haven't heard of anyone having a card and their credit card charged. But this should not be the fix. 2noelle the first time they put it right back the second time it was 2 days.
Wordsmith
2noelle

JamartMF, thanks for the information. I find this whole situation a total inconvenience. For as long as I've been a nook owner, since 2010, I've never had this type of problem and I usually have at least two gift cards on my account. If having only one gift card is what they want, then that's all we should be allowed to put on there. Or how about an option to merge the cards into one?
Reader 2
Steve2
0 Kudos

I was also told (the first five times I tried to get it corrected) that it was a preauthorization charge. It will NOT be corrected automatically. You will, unfortunately, have to keep trying until you reach someone who is not too lazy to actually check all the cards and see the erroneous charges without there being a purchase. The preauthorization hold is supposed to lifted as soon as the purchase goes through and the purchase price shows on your balance as being deducted.
Reader 2
Steve2
0 Kudos

I was wondering if keeping only one card on file would work. I haven't tried it yet because I don't want an erroneous charge to go to the credit card. With the gift cards, I can see the error immediately. With the credit card, I may not see the error until the bill comes in.
jamartMF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Steve I have only heard of it happening with multiple gift cards.But that is exactly what i said to one of the CS people. I personally do not believe it has anything to do with preauthoring or it would happen to everyone.
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I have sent a couple emails and had a chat with CS.  Here's the transcript and a possible resolution, in 24-72 hours, it took them only a second to double bill me, though :smileyhappy:

You are now connected with Franz Oracion from BN.com

Karen: Hello, On April 4th, I purchased Conrad Allen's, "Murder on the Lusitania," for $2.99.  Before the transaction, I looked at my gift card balance and noted that there was $84.52 between 3 gift cards.  After making the purchase, I immediately received an invoice for one purchase of $2.99 + tax, which brought the total purchase to $3.24. Leaving me with a balance of $78.03!  Now, if you do the math, $84.52-$3.24 doesn't leave $78.03, but $81.28.  I'm very disappointed in this and have noticed in the B&N Nook HD+ forum that I'm not the only one with this experience in the last couple of weeks, surely there's a glitch in the system, where gift cards are concerned.  However, I did call customer service immediately upon realizing what had happened.  The gentleman said that the card ending in xxxx was "preauthorized" for the amount of the purchase and that the $3.24 would appear back on the gift card in 3-5 business days, while the gift card ending in xxxx was charged $3.24, the amount I owe and I'm not disputing.  I am disputing the $3.24 charged to gift card ending in xxxx which was $50.00 and is now showing $$46.76.  This is not acceptable and I would like for my card to be credited as promptly as it was debited, immediately.  I know feel I can't shop for my nook books with confidence, so I will be holding off on purchasing other books until this has been resolved.  The account transactions are under email: and the billing address is:   Hoping for a resolution, soon.

Franz Oracion: Hi, my name is Franz. Thank you for joining Barnes and Noble Chat.

Karen: I was double charged for the same book is what I'm griping about.

Karen: Hi Franz!

Franz Oracion: Hello, Karen. I understand that you are concern about a double billing on your account.

Karen: Yes, I am

Franz Oracion: I see. I will revuiew your order, Karen. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Franz Oracion: For security purposes, may I please have the last four digits of the credit card that is saved on your account?

Karen:xxxx

Franz Oracion: Thank you.

Franz Oracion: Thanks,

Franz Oracion: I will need some time to thoroughly check on your order. Please stay with me and I will do my best to get right back to you in about 2-3 minutes. Is that ok?

Karen: ok

Franz Oracion: Thank you for patiently waiting. I still need more time to check yourorder and giftcard history. Please bear with me.

Karen: no problem

Franz Oracion: I see what the problem is, Karen. The other Giftcard on your account which ends in xxxx has been authorized for the order xxxxxxxx. However, the one that is invoiced or charged for the order is the one ending in xxxx. We are really sorry for the inconvenience. I will send a request to our Giftcard team to release the $3.24 from the Giftcard ending in xxxx.

Franz Oracion: The request will be processd within 24-72 hours.

Karen: Thank you Franz, I will be following up on this.  I don't know how this could have happened, but I have to be very vilgilant about my purchases from now on.  Thanks for trying to resolve this issue.

We will see.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

It is to bad we are the ones having to monitor thier sales and not even get a paycheck out of it. Just look at the time it took you to write all that.
EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

This is not the first time this has happened.  And I had it charged to my gift cards and my credit card.  Hurry up and go under BN.com.....maybe a good business will buy you up.

Wordsmith
2noelle

As of last night, 4/6, bn refunded the amount they over charged me and then some, however I wonder if I've been overcharged before this and just didn't notice and they fixed it? I will be vigilant aboit my purchaes from now on. I now feel I have to record the amounts of my gift cards before I purchase anything else. Crazy!
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Glad you got your money back. Like you I will keep a better watch.