Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

Ghost files on new Nook HD

I've read about the ghost files if you have an SD card.

But my Nook HD doesn't have an SD card yet in Library - MyFiles it now shows 1266 files almost all of which just have a number as the title and are of an unknown type.  Hooking the Nook to a computer and looking doesn't show those files anywhere.

Short of individually deleting them, or wiping the whole thing to a virgin state, how do I get rid of them and what the heck causes them?

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Re: Ghost files on new Nook HD

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday but it wasn't that bad (only 181 files).  I individually deleted them. Then my magazines would no longer open so I rebooted and it has worked fine so far.  With the # of files you have though I would just wipe the wole thing (unless you alo have a lot of personalizations that you would also lose).

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  I was moments away from doing just that.  But being of a stubborn persuasion, I dug around a bit more and found that were all files that were created by Groundhog, my usenet reader.

So I'm good to go.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Figuring out what they were before deleting them was a good plan. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

I thought so!  I had actually considered virginizing the Nook HD, but Googly Sync was down most of the day which gave me time to fiddle around and do some looking.

In the end I don't want that many files floating around, so I deleted them, the app's cache and data and re-set it up again.  Since I only follow a couple of usenet groups on a pad that works for me.

I'm primarily a Mac and iOS kinda guy, but I've owned Nooks since the first one came out and still have that beauty as well as a Simple Touch w/Glow.  At the current $129 for a Nook HD I couldn't help myself, had to get one and I'm very glad I did.  There are some things I like doing on the Nook HD more than on my iPad Mini, especially reading.

The iPad Mini is faster and more fully featured, and issues like the one I just had just don't happen because of the walled garden approach Apple takes.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
0 Kudos

I have a bunch of those files as well, not sure what app they are from as I installed about 10 this week.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you download the Clean Master app from the google play store, it will find cached files, tell you the app that created them and delete them if directed.  The app is free and was recommended by Schwa :smileyhappy: