Contributor
CalamaraRocks
Accepted Solution

Gmail Setup Problem

So I bought myself a Nook HD last week (hooray!) and, when trying to set up my Gmail, after entering my username and password, I got the message: "You don't have permission to sync with this server." After a little (lot!) searching on the web, I found a workaround (for mail, at least) is to enter your email address as @googlemail.com instead of @gmail.com. I still can't get my Gmail calendar set up, though, so if anybody knows a workaround for that until "they", be that Google or B&N, put a permanent fix in place, I'd be grateful if they'd post any suggestions here! Thanks!
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen

Re: Gmail Setup Problem

[ Edited ]

Yes

follow these instructions to the letter, and set it up as IMAP

setting up gmail manually on Nook

(remove your account from the nook first, and then setup manually using the configuration given, and dont forget to 'enable' IMAP in your gmail settings, as shown in the link)

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Reader 4
ptodd

Hey, from what I understand Gmail is no longer supporting EXCHANGE, which I believe is the default way that the nook tries to setup Gmail.  You have to enter the settings manually as an IMAP account.

As far as I know, because free Gmail doesn't supprt EXCHANGE anymore, there is no way to use google calendars with the built in Nook Calendars app.  There might be other apps you can use that support gmail's CalDAV. (I am not sure about that)

This change took place recently (January 2013, I believe).

Hope this is helpful to you.

Todd

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for that information PTodd.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

These are the settings that I use to get gmail to work:

1.  Enter email and password

2.  IMAP

3.  imap.gmail.com

4.  SSL

5.  Port 993

Submit

smtp.gmail.com

SSL

Port:  465

Submit

This has worked for both my Tablet and my HD+

Hope you can get it working!

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Before entering any settings on your Nook, you must enable IMAP in gmail first. See the link I posted above in the 2nd or 3rd post.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

So... Have u gotten it set up yet???
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Contributor
CalamaraRocks
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said in my original post, email's fine. It's just the calendar that's not working and, from PTodd's really useful reply, it looks like it probably won't for the foreseeable future! Thanks again to all of you!
New User
kimbrka
0 Kudos

Nice - thanks so much got mine working!!  - Karen