New User
nookrocksDL
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Google Play Apps Unavailable on Nook HD+

Is Barns & Noble filtering the Google Play app list in any way? I wanted to install the Storm Shield Weather Radio app (The E. W. Scripps Company) which is shown as available on my Android phone but is not appearing on any Google Play searches I have done on the Nook. Thanks for any help with this question.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Google Play Apps Unavailable on Nook HD+

nookrocksDL wrote:

Is Barns & Noble filtering the Google Play app list in any way? I wanted to install the Storm Shield Weather Radio app (The E. W. Scripps Company) which is shown as available on my Android phone but is not appearing on any Google Play searches I have done on the Nook. Thanks for any help with this question.

No.  There are several threads on this.  From what I remember of what I read, it has to do with how the developers have set up the app.  Either they have a list of compatible devices or they have a requirement in the settings that the Nook HDs doesn't meet, such as needing GPS or a camera.

Your best bet would be to contact the developer.

Contributor
bn_burt
0 Kudos

There are many, many apps of all types from all types of app providers (including major app providers) that as of now are incompatible with the Nook HD+. There is a partial list on my recent post

"huge number of apps not available via google play"

This is hugely frustrating, especially as the HD is being promoted as having access to 700,000 apps from google play. I might be returning the tablet to B&N while I can.

If the solution requires changes to the apps, I would think that B&N should be trying to let developers know.

Contributor
Tad123

I'm not a software expert, but I do own three other brand Android-based tablets, two of which have "official" access to the Google Play store, and with each one some of the apps that I have tried to install are classified as "not compatible with your device."  As others have said, the developer of the individual app, is the one that  determines what devices are compatible with their app.  There is not a "conspiracy" to keep the Nook out; they just want their specific product  to run properly with the device that it is installed on. In case you may not know, initially Google Play Store apps were designed for android based smartphones, most with 3-3.5" screens.  Now the developers have had to amend their apps to run on all sizes and brands of tablets, and frequently they  can't or won't spend the manpower to rewrite their programming for every model on the market.  In my personal case, there are two apps that I have on my other tablets that aren't "compatible" on the Nook; but the vast majority of apps are available and I'm sure more will come with time. To show how complicated this whole "compatibility" issue is, one of my other tablets is a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This is an official Google product that uses the Google Play Store; and even it will not load every app in their own store. The "Webmd for Android app," is shown as "not compatible with your device." That's ironic!  I've spoken at length about this with Google support and they unanimously say that it's the individual app developer that determines the compatibility.   

Bottom line, in my opinion, the Nook HD+ is a  great tablet with a few limitations, but I would advise those that are disatisfied with the Google Play Store,  to "not throw the baby out with the bathwater" as they say, and focus on the thousands of additional apps, movies, musics, books, etc., that are now available through Google Play.  This is a big, big positive development for the Nook HD and Nook HD+.

New User
nookrocksDL

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all for taking the time to explain this in more detail. I did suspect that certain hardware features could be the reason, such as the lack of GPS. The Nook HD+ is a great tablet and we are very happy with it. I purchased it knowing it would be tightly coupled to B&N and now that it has been opened up to Google Play we really can't complain if there are limitations.

New User
dbokie

I contacted the developer of an app available on Google Play that wasn't compatible on my HD.  They were unaware of the problem and very interested in fixing it. It took them a little while to figure out the programming, but it now says it is compatible.  I'll keep emailing developers as I find ones that don't work.  My guess is a lot are unaware of the problem but really want to get their app out to as many people as possible. 

New User
asdfghjklRB
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with being unable to install Google Play apps.  I kept getting an error message that I had to click on a generic Google Play icon.  

I found that icon eventually.  It is buried deep in the Settings, along with a lot of other Google Play icons like Video, Music, Maps, etc.  I clicked on them all.