Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker

Google Play Tips

• Some identical app titles exist in both the Play Store and the NOOK Store. Whichever app is downloaded later will overwrite the first installation of the app on NOOK. The exception to this is if an app is updated in one app store before the other. When an app receives an update, the updated app will overwrite the last version installed.
  • To manually update Google apps, open the App menu in the Play Store and tap on the down-pointing arrow in the top right corner. This will show any apps that need updates and all apps that are up to date. You can update an app right from this menu.
  • To turn off the ability for Google to update apps automatically, open the Play Store and tap on the three vertical dots in the top right corner. Select Settings from the drop-down window, then tap on Auto-update Apps. A pop-up menu will appear where you can choose to allow Google to auto-update their apps or not.
  • The Play Store and pre-loaded Google apps will only download to the admin (or parent) profile. You do not need to assign the Play Store app itself to a child or another adult profile for them to enjoy Google apps. For parents that don’t want their children to have access to the unrestricted Play Store, they can download apps from the Play Store to their profile, then assign only that Google app to the child profile.
Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

Re: Google Play Tips

I actually have the option checked for Play Store to not auomatically update my apps but it still does it.  I see verification of the update in the notification area up top of the screen.  soooooo unchecking that auto feature doesn't stop that from happenning unfortunately.  

Contributor
turnsouth

Along with the "global" automatic update option, each individual app has a auto update checkbox in its description. It's likely that the apps that are still auto updating have this box checked.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs
0 Kudos

@turnsouth  -  where would you find that?  I have gone into settings, then applications, then my apps.  I went into each app and do not have a box to check to stop auto updating. 

thanks,

campyrs

Contributor
turnsouth
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I may be wrong with the latest version of the Play Store. I only have an Android 2.x here, I will have to look at my Nook when I get home.

Maybe they did away with it in Android 4.0, or even placed the option in the Application settings.

I can't imagine them doing away wit it all together.

Contributor
turnsouth
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just took another look at my phone. If the app has an update available the check box shows up in the description, if not it is in "menu" when looking at the app's description.

Contributor
Baby_Fark_McGee-zax

Also, I think it is worth mentioning that any purchase you make on the Google Play App Market has a fifteen minute period for you to test and try it. If you are unhappy you can press the REFUND button for a full refund (this is found right next to OPEN on the Market Page for that app).

After the fifteen minutes is up, that button changes into an UNINSTALL button.

Sorry if this is old news, or common knowledge.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tips Triscuit & Baby_Fark_McGee.

I'd forgotten about the 15 minute refund. That's usefull for cases where an app won't install or won't run.

Correspondent
SkipperT

I really believe the lesson here is, to avoid a whole constellation of problems, don't enable that Google Play Store in the first place.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Bibliophile
5ivedom

)

comment of the day.

That's so funny. I bet a LOT of non tech-savvy users feel this way.

Correspondent
SkipperT

Even though I got the update, my HD+ is still fully functional because I'm savvy enough to check these pages every day and observe the warnings.  I truly feel bad about the people that don't know these forums exist and will find their device rendered useless by innocently wading into GPS.  The wealth of information in these pages is truly priceless.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Reader
Jen30s
0 Kudos

What does the Google Play Store DO to the Nook?

SkipperT wrote:

Even though I got the update, my HD+ is still fully functional because I'm savvy enough to check these pages every day and observe the warnings.  I truly feel bad about the people that don't know these forums exist and will find their device rendered useless by innocently wading into GPS.  The wealth of information in these pages is truly priceless.