New User
JosephSwenson
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music

When I spoke to Support about this a few weeks ago they were aware of the problem and said they were coming out with a software update to fix the issue (and others I hope).  I keep checking but so far nothing available.  

I keep finding apps that are flagged as "not compatible"  even though they run just fine when I boot to The n2a OS on the SD card. That's a bit annoying.  Also having to redownload album covers that don't seem to get picked up properly on their own.  Somehow they all got picked up properly on my Samsung Galaxy S III. 

Contributor
mschafer

I noticed the same thing Google Play gives an icon when using alternate launcher.  I like the Nova launcher better then the Nook HD home or whatever it is called, just wish everything with the Nova Launcher worked like it does on my cheapy tablet, but I have just started working on it.

Reader
LG75
0 Kudos

Is there any update to this? It's quite frustrating to be paying for Google's new streaming service but not be able to stream it on my nook.

Not a huge deal since I always have my phone with me, but still...
Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You should be able to use it. I found that if you just ignore the fact that when you look in Google Play it appears to be not installed. Go to the desktop and long press the screen to add items to it. Go to the Widgets. There is one for Google Play Music. Drag it to you desktop and press done. Now access the app from your desktop and you are good to go. I have used it so it works on mine. Hope that helps. 

Reader
LG75
0 Kudos

This worked and it indeed updated, so I can stream music now.

I also found another work around.  You can simply install a new launcher and the app icon will reappear.  I installed Nova Launcher and everything is fine now.

Contributor
Tad123
0 Kudos

The are quiet a few posts on the Google Music subject. I've had my Nook HD+ for about a week and never really used the Google Music app.  It's installed on another of my devices, and I tried to use it on the Nook yesterday evening but couldn't get it to work.  The next thing I knew the app icon was not on my home screen anymore.  By the way , I have noticed this phenomenon on a few other apps, but I can go back in and put them back on the home screen.  In the case of Google Music, I could not.

My question is, has it been determined that an erase/deregister and then reinstall will correct this problem.  That is a hassle that I would rather not do unless it is pretty much 100% effective. If that won't work, I've read other posts that says Nook is going to release a software update that will correct it.  Is that true, and if so when?

Contributor
Alfer
0 Kudos

I to was stumped when I tried downloading the GP app but in the end drug the Widget to the home page and hit play and the GP software popped on the screen and all my music is there and plays fine.

New User
spacegrrrl
0 Kudos

I don't even have the widget.  Has anyone really sorted this out yet?  I find if funny that on of the big 2.1.o things was Google Play and music.  Gah!

New User
lflier

Works For Me!

[ Edited ]

Just got a new Nook HD+. Two, actually: one for each of my two kids. The price is very attractive right now. Here is how I set them up to use Play Music with an All Access Subscription, which is also very attractively priced through 6/30.

1. Booted new Nook and entered my B&N account number.
  2. Software updated automatically on Setup. But there was no Google Play store in the Apps.
  3. Turned off the Nook and the software updated automatically again. Google Play store now appears in the Apps.
  4. At this point, I tried to install Google Music App through the Play Store. I experienced the same hanging behavior reported above, although other apps installed just fine.
  5. I then went to the Settings menu and erased the Nook (Click the Gear icon in the taskbar upper right; choose "All Settings"; click "Device Information"; then "Erase & Deregister Device" [If you've got any data on your Nook that you don't want to lose, make sure it's backed up before you do this. Books purchased through B&N will be backed up automatically through their servers.]
  6. When the Nook rebooted, I copied the Google Music App to the home page, as instructed above. But still no All Access.
  7. I logged into my Google Play account, but that didn't help.
  8. I then shut the Nook down and rebooted. Upon reboot, all the Google Apps began updating automatically, including -- Yes! -- the Google Music App.
  9. Restarted the Music App and I had my All Access Subscription.

The key steps, then, were:

1. Erasing and Deregistering the device to get back to initial conditions.
  2. Getting my Google Play account registered on the device (by entering my user name and password).
  3. NOT attempting to download Google Music App at this time, but instead rebooting the Nook.
  4. Letting the Nook update Google Apps (including Google Music) by itself.

I hope this helps someone. It took me a few hours to figure it out, so maybe I can save you some time.

I gotta say, after getting this set up I'm really liking the Nook HD+. I had a tablet last year, but this is much sleeker and smoother. Kudos to B&N for opening up the Nook to the Play Store and offering such an attractive discount. I think it's going to be a monster for them, marketing wise.

New User
duckyy
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue.
Contributor
jpisini
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have two HD pluses mine the music works like normal on my wife's she has this issue no idea why. I tried a few things but the only work around that helps is putting the huge widget on the desktop.

New User
DanC339
0 Kudos

Thanks for the widget solution, I never thought of that. I also downloaded a free app called Android Task Manager. If you use that, you can go into "Apps" and Google Play Music is shown there as well, and can be opened. But the widget's a much simpler solution. Hope B&N gets this fixed soon!

Reader 2
martysanchez
0 Kudos

Re: Works For Me!

@iflier

thanks, this totally worked for me too

New User
MIchMosh
0 Kudos

Re: Works For Me!

I recently bought the nook hd and I've had the same problem with the google play music app like everyone else. I didn't have any music on it so it really wasn't a big deal, but being that it was there and then it disappeared was driving me bonkers. I followed what you did and now everything works the way it should. Thank you so, so, so much for posting your issue.. because if it wasn't for you I probably would've ended up returning my nook because I was so frustrated.  Thanks again =)

MishMosh
Frequent Contributor
Opa-MN
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play Music

I sure am happy the B&N has worked through this problem in the las 3 months and fixed it so that Play Music finally works.  I am tired of having to use the widget when it should work without.  What gives?  I really don't want to erase and deregister.  Why is this not being addressed?

New User
johnathanblade
0 Kudos

Another option that I haven't seen mentioned is the use of an alternate launcher. I use Nova launcher as my default UI and this seems to have resolved the Goggle music issue. It launches from the desktop without issue.

Frequent Contributor
jrlt
0 Kudos

I found another work around. If you go to the hidden extras part of the apps drawer, you can get the icon that way (Hold the volume down button and long press on the gray bar where it says apps.. There is still no way to get it on the home screen though.

So ready for this to be the end, for this to be the twilight of your life, though your life has barely started. You’re ready to give up everything. - Edward Cullen
Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

I spoke with a rep this morning who said that one of the changes in the 2.1.1 update is a fix to keep GPM from disappearing in the apps list. It didn't work for me, so the official "fix" is to wipe my device and reregister it.

Until a real fix comes I'll just keep using the widget. :smileyindifferent:
New User
Tomen8r

Its fall, 2013. Any fix for this yet?

Due to falling prices, I picked up a Nook HD+ to play with, root and throw some ROMS at it. But I am setting it up with the default skin it comes with. I see Google Music in my apps, but that's it. Sure, I can use the widget, which in turn, getss me to my 10K songs. But this is ridiculous. Other apps besides Google Music, like Dropbox, is doing the same thing. Apps don't work with this default BN software.

I am going to blow away this skin and throw some real Android ROMS on this hardware but wanted to know if any fixes were created for this. AFter six months, it appears not. Of course, B&N is blowing up their tablets, selling them off and moving on from them (hence low prices). That is only reason I bought it.

Since this is the case, I doubt B&N would put any effort into this issue or all of the other issues they are having with these tablets since they will no longer support or sell them. They might keep simple readers but are bailing on real tablets. I am understanding why they are getting out. They don't like the work associated with keeping these tablets attractive and fresh. They can't compete with Amazon and Google so they simply quit. Good companies make money thru the revenue they generate with the tablets, not on the cost of the tablets themselves. This is a successful business model for the bigger companies. Example? Look at the awesome tablet announced today by Amazon. A game changer for all tablets.

For B&N, is this the beginning of the end??  I have no reason to use any of their services. Better and cheaper elsewhere.

If someone does know of a fix, please reply. Many thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm using Google music just fine.  What is it not doing for you? You didn't really say.  I'm sorry if you are having a problem, but just because you are does not mean that everyone is having the same issue.

You say "B&N is blowing up their tablets, selling them off and moving on from them (hence low prices)."  This is absolutely not true, B&N has never said this and in fact refuted this in their last stock report.

Your conclusions are assumptions and don't prove anything.  And how is the new Kindle a game changer?  I'm not saying it's not nice, but doesnt really offer much more than the previous Kindle...

Please excuse me while I go back to listening to my working copy of Google Music and transfer some files from Dropbox at the same time on my Nook HD+