Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music-I found a way to get to it

[ Edited ]

Still no Google Play Music for me either, though I see the app in my settings but not in my app list. 

1. I have previously bought or downloaded tunes from/to Google Play.

2. I use the app on my phone, media player and other tablets. 

5ivedom, not sure what else I can say. I usually have no problem with the app on any other Android device and can't think of any special setting I might have used with the others. 

I am wondering if downloading another music app and trying to launch a song, like someone else did here, might activate the app. Might be worth a try later. 

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

No, I had no music on my ap. My twitter app also does not show up and when I download one it disappears, so I just downloaded tweetcaster which does the same thing.
Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

I have the google play on my phone but no music on my Nook before update. Now I get to it through synctures.
Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

All the nook hd & hd+ devices in my local store on their kiosk have Play Music icon with the rest of the apps so I am stumped, so are they. :smileyhappy:

I am pretty sure I upgraded the Play Music app in Google Play Store after I did the Nook software upgrade. There is an option to uninstall updates for Play Music when I looked at the app in the Google Store this morning. I rather not try it as I have the Play Music available to me via launching with Nova. I rather not lose that as well perhaps so I will stand pat for now.

Contributor
Nookie61
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music

Play books app wil let me read a free book I chose to try it out. Play Movies & TV app will let me play a cheap movie I rented to try it out. Play Music will only play the music I already have on my SD card. The song I bought to try the app does not show up at all. Now when I click on Play Store -> Music -> Play icon, I get a message that says Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped and I get bounced back to my Nook HD's Apps screen. So I tried Play Store -> Music -> Search and searched the song I bought and it said I had to install the updated Play Music app from the Google Play Store. So I did and then the app disappeared altogether. So I installed it again. Nuthin. I refreshed, I restarted, app is not there. In order to listen to one of my old songs now I have to bring up my SD files, click on one song and can play that one song. The playlists I had working before I "updated" the Play Music app are now gone and I can't figure out how to make a new one and when I go back into the Play Store and search for the song I bought, again, it tells me that I can't listen to it unless the updated app is installed. Nothing should be this much trouble.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

I downloaded the synctunes wireless free from the google play store, you can get to google play music through it.

Contributor
Abe_Froman
0 Kudos

Yeah i tried listening to a song i bought from PM earlier today (purchased from my phone) and it takes me to the install screen for PM. I can listen to a preview of any song in the store, but that doesnt require PM being launched.

I dont have any sideloaded songs, but i imagine locating and opening them would work to get the app to show up, but thats a pain when the point, and advantage of PM, is that i can listen to or redownload any previously purchased music on any android device my google acct is linked to. Any android device but the nook...and i dont think songs purchased in PM will play in another program due to drm or other restrictions.

Its not a huge deal, but it would be a plus if this could be fixed.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

When I checked the Play Music app in the Play Store on each of the B&N devices on their kiosk at my local store, there is an option to "install". That should not be , it should be "open" or "update". Those devices have the Play Music icon in the apps list unlike us.

So I clicked on the install option for the Play Music app on the Play Store on one of the devices. Same thing happens afterwards, like ours it just goes back to install icon.

Afterwards, the icon is not on the apps list any longer on that device.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,877
0 Kudos

No DRM on any music files anymore, you can use Play Music on anything (I have a bunch on my iPod, for instance).

The only remedy I've found (still) is a full erase/deregister. :-/

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40

Sorry for the trouble you're all facing with Play Music.

We are working to resolve the issue and should have it up an running soon.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
Abe_Froman

flyingtoastr wrote:

No DRM on any music files anymore, you can use Play Music on anything (I have a bunch on my iPod, for instance).

The only remedy I've found (still) is a full erase/deregister. :-/

I guess what made me mention DRM is that when i go to find songs ive purchased in Play Music in my files, they always have a weird file name and an extension im not familiar with. For instance, songs i buy through google wont show up in my phones stock music player (gs3). Not a big deal though, ill mess with that some more. Maybe theres something im not doing.

Sorry that was off-topic, but thanks B&N for working towards a fix on the Play Music issue.

Contributor
heav
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music Not working

Ok, I have downloaded the Google Play Music app, and it just keeps looping into the "installing" mode.  I go in and it is not on my "apps" page, but when I go into the settings and look at the apps through settings, I see it, but it is not working.  I see a few others with the same problem.  Do we have a fix for this yet?  Also, there is no way to uninstall it to get clean install...hmmmm.  Any one who has this up and running on the HD+, please tell us what you did to get it working.  Thanks all. 

New User
KerryIN
0 Kudos

Just found this thread, but having exactly the same issue with Google Play Music starting today...disappeared from the app list, goes into some kind of loop during install, doesn't reappear anywhere.  Hope it's fixed soon...

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Per post above by BN moderator Alex, they are aware of the problem and hooe to have a solution "soon."
Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee
0 Kudos

Exact same problem here. nook version of google play music has vanished from my hd+ and google play version gets stuck in endless install loop. I'm hoping this stays top of mind with the nook team, since this is a core google play experience app and not some third party app. I would have expected compatibility of core apps to have been fully nailed down before the play store update went live? This is THE key motivator that compelled me to buy my hd+ this week.

Contributor
heav

Re: Google app Play music Not working

I was checking my husband's Nook HD+ and Google Play Music did install properly and is working.  My best guess is that maybe there is some incompatibility with other apps I have installed.  He only has a few apps and I have quite a few.  This is the only difference I can see.  Interesting.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mr_Weatherbee, it seems to be some conflict. It should be fixed. It's an issue lots of users are facing. Go to the Issues Forum and vote for it there. That lets B&N know lots of users need a fix.

Link: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Issue-Reporting/idb-p/newNOOIssueReporting

New User
BenHead

Same issue here...attempted to install from the Google Play Store thinking it was an update, and now Play Music is missing from my app list entirely.  I have found that it is still installed (shows up in app settings) and does still work - I'm able to launch it by adding the corresponding widget to my home screen.  But this is a kludgey workaround, so I hope a fix for this issue is coming very quickly.

Correspondent
scjohanson5

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the widget. It's a better workaround than the wireless synctunes app which will get you there too. I also have the same problem with twitter and see that there's a twitter widget, Thanks again. Until they get it fixed, it's a good solution.
Contributor
heav

Thanks for this info. Sounds like a great work around until fix comes.