Contributor
MissJessicaLee
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music

Excellent idea on the widget, works perfectly and I like it better than the dumb old icon anyway!
Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Thought I'd chime in to say I'm having the same problem. And can someone explain what  it means to put a widget on my home screen?

Thanks!

Contributor
Abe_Froman

If you long press on the home screen, youll get the option to change wallpaper, add apps, etc. and widgets. Widgets are like mini apps and you can control or use them without actually opening up the app. For instance with Pandora, you can have it playing without being in the app. From the desktop widget you can skip songs, thumbs up, etc. The idea is to make accessing app content more convenient
Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

I got the widget in place and now have music playing!

Thanks!

New User
JPFTX
0 Kudos

Re: Google app Play music-I found a way to get to it

Has anything been done to get the installation of Google Play Music resolved?

I selected Google Play Music from within Google Play on my Nook HD+ and ever since then saw the install loop. If I go to Google Play in the browser, it says that the app is installed.

I think I probably tried re-installing Google Play Music a few times (including trying to re-install it even though it was showing the "installing" animation at the top of the screen (when the Nook showed it was installing for several minutes).

I tried to add the desktop widget as a temporary solution, and did not find a way to play music that way.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Desktop widget?

Do you mean add the widget to the home screen of the Nook HD+. Try that. It works.

New User
JPFTX
0 Kudos

I tried installing again yesterday (there was a Google Play Music update on 5/21 of the app itself according to the listing in Google Play) however the installation didn't work again.

How does one add the widget to the home screen? Could you mention the steps and describe the icon for the widget? I tried before and what I tried did not work. The view I had seemed to show two different components related to Google Play Music (neither with the music headphones) and I added one and it appeared on the home screen, however, it did not access music.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

To install the widget, press and hold on the home screen unit it zooms out and five menu options appear on the bottom. Select "Widgets". Find and drag the GPM widget onto the home screen. Press "Done".

Out of curiosity, do you have more than one profile on your HD?

Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee

Screw the widget workaround. Major update from google 2 days ago and I still can't install. Problem is now clearly known to B&N. Please fix it! I did not buy this thing to resort to tricks and workarounds for major features of the newly available google play store!

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

The fault probably lies with Google, I am sure BN and Google are aware there's a problem. Some communication that there's a known problem and a fix is coming seems past due.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41

Hi All,

I certainly understand the frustration encountered and apologize for the inconvenience. We hope to have a fix available soon, however until then please attempt the posted widget workaround.

Thanx for the show of patience to this point.

I should have more information for you soon.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Didn't see the "Me Too" link with this issue.. But after Google Play tried to "update" Google Music, I also lost the icon and the dialog box asks to Install.... but it never re-installs and theres no icon for it.. BUT it seems to be partially on the device (according to the settings/apps)

New User
JPFTX
0 Kudos

I have just one profile on my Nook. I chatted with B&N support yesterday and after checking a few things at the person's recommendation, we installed the home screen widget. I had done that before however did not know that I needed to click the top left corner of the widget after adding it to the home screen. After doing that, it worked.

I would like to have the issue officially resolved, though, without having to use the widget.

Contributor
deoren
0 Kudos

+1 I'm also experiecing this issue like many others have mentioned. In addition to GPM, Twittter is another app that loses its icon on update/installation.
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

BenHead wrote:

Same issue here...attempted to install from the Google Play Store thinking it was an update, and now Play Music is missing from my app list entirely.  I have found that it is still installed (shows up in app settings) and does still work - I'm able to launch it by adding the corresponding widget to my home screen.  But this is a kludgey workaround, so I hope a fix for this issue is coming very quickly.

Thanks! Widget works for me and I now have all my Google Play music on my tablets again. :catvery-happy:

Contributor
mschafer
0 Kudos

My Google Play was working fine until a few days ago and I agree using the widget or screwing around trying to figure out a work aound in crazy.  The widget takes up way to much room for something I do not use everyday.

Tne reason I bought the Nook HD was to have Google apps on it and now I can't use Play without messing around with a huge widget

Hopefully B&N will take care of this

Thanks

Mark

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This: Tne reason I bought the Nook HD was to have Google apps on it and now I can't use Play without messing around with a huge widget

You can move the widget to another page. At least with icons you can, so shouldwork with widgets too.

First try: Press and hold widget and slid eit to edge so that more than half of it is over the edge. Hold for a few seconds. Screen will slide over.

Then try: Remove widget from home screen, go to another screen and add it there. You can swipe left and right to change screens.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Got the feeling there is going to be a significant point release that will address quite a few migration pains from merging with Google Play.  That said I'm a fan of the not free  app Poweramp in the Google Play store.  There's a trial version that installs.  Then you buy the key.  Tend to prefer it for on device files.

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
An alternate launcher gives the icon AND gets rid of items on a carousel. I will live with that just for the latter in itself. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
mschafer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply,  I use Winamp on my Nook & on my laptop, but I have a lot of my music on Google.