Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

HD+ SD card question

I currently have a Nook Tablet. I have lots of pdf files (magazines) on an SD Card. I ordered a new HD+ and it will be here tomorrow. Can I put the SD card from my Tablet in the HD+? Will it have to be reformatted? Is there anything I should do before I put the card in the HD+ or will it know what to do. The pdf files are on my computer, so if I have to copy them to the card again after formatting, that is OK. Any advice will be appreciated.

Inspired Correspondent
campyrs

Re: HD+ SD card question

I too had a Nook Tablet and bought the HD+.  When I inserted my SD card in the HD+ it stated that it had to be formatted and it wiped everything that was on it.  Thank goodness I had everything backed up in a folder on my PC so I didn't lose my books, movies, music etc...

Hope this helps

campyrs

Bibliophile
5ivedom

cgsmom, what Campyrs wrote.

Since Nook HD+ uses a different file transfer protocol (MTP) there's a chance it'll ask to reformat the card.

cgsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer. My HD+ is supposed to arrive today and I am so excited.
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I just received my HD+ last week and when I put a new SD card in it, the unit said the card needed to be formatted.  This was a new blank card.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

Hope you enjoy your new hd+. I love mine.
New User
liasom

[ Edited ]

AFAIK a card can be read by the HD+ as long as it's formatted as either Fat32 or exFat. The reason you get the message about reformatting is that files over 4GB in size, like video, require exFat. You should be able to read your existing card if it is FAT32.

After you insert the card just hit cancel when you get the reformat message.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

Cgs... Might want to backup card by using a sd card reader with a micro sd adapter on computer and copying the contents to a folder then stop/eject card... Insert into nook and let it format.... Then copy the file back to it using the computer. Advantage of this is you won't get prompted to format and inadvertently wipe the card since it's in native exFAT which is the preferred format
Reader 4
bluegirl99

Well I learned the hard way with these SD Micro cards.  Here's some advice.

1. I just got my Nook HD+, previous to that I had the Nook Tablet.

2. I took the Micro SD card (sandisk 32GB) from the Tablet and inserted it into the HD+.

3. Nook HD+ asked to format the card...........I clicked NO.

4. The card seem to read fine.......until I took it out (unmounted it) and tried make a back up of the contents onto my PC..............the card was toast!! I fried it! All content was lost. The Nook HD+ must have kept trying to read the file structure on the card and it died.

Lesson learned.............

1.  Make sure to make a backup of your Micro SD card FIRST!!

2. The cards are formated to the device its been used in so they aren't compatible, you can't just hot swap them.

3. Always format the MicroSD card in the new device, even if its empty. The format will build the file structure for the device.

I hope my killing my 32gb helps you.  Luckily I had ordered a new one for the HD+. and I did have a backup of my side books. 

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Here's another data point which neither proves nor disproves anything, but which appears to be a bit different than your experience, bluegirl99.

I moved my 8gb sandisk card from my NC to my HD+ and replied no to the format question. But the HD+ didn't recognize it. So I removed it (without checking to see if it could be unmounted), put it in my PC which did recognize it. All my files were still there. I backed it up to the PC and ejected it. When I reinserted it into the HD+ it was recognized without any formatting request and has been fine ever since, although whenever I do a power down and restart, I get a notification that the HD+ is Preparing SD card - checking for errors.  I simply dismiss the notification and everything functions normally.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

petesnook, that notification is a standard error for all HDs and HD+s I think. I get it on both.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Thanks, 5ivedom. Nice to know it's a common issue. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, so I will continue to ignore it.

Inspired Contributor
NightfallJC

I have a friend who uses a Samsung Galaxy 10, he gets a notification about Preparing SD card - checking for errors also. So I think it is android OS in general.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

Its a format issue... the Nook HD and HD+ prefer exFAT for SD micro cards... Really wish the Nook would just detect it as a valid format and not keep insisting on formatting it.. ..

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

bugeek. So you're saying Android 4.0 (which is what Nook and Samsung Tab etc, use) prefers exFAT and if an SD card isn't exFAT it gives this message.

You don't get this message with SD Cards formatted in exFat format?

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Don't know about others but I get that preparing/checking message any time I reboot my HD+… And it IS formatted exFAT.

I'd expect that as the Nook has no way to tell if the card has been changed while the power was down (or worse, if the battery died in the middle of writing to the card).

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Pretty sure I don't as long as I don't boot off sd....  Have to reconfirm....  Not sure about Samsung 

New User
sk_randallstown
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom:

I just purchased a Nook HD+ this past Friday, took a new 16 GB SDHC micro card, formatted it using the Nook HD+ (exFat formatting), and while it appears to be working fine, I still get the notification every time I fully turn off/on the tablet.