New User
pral
Accepted Solution

HD+ Wishlist Issue?

When I go into Shop and touch the heart at the bottom left of the screen to bring up my Wishlist, it just circles around and around and nothing loads.

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.  I can add new titles to the list, but the list still isn't showing up with what books I have on it.  It keeps loading and loading.

Has anyone else had this issue?  What solutions have you found so far?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: HD+ Wishlist Issue?

It works fine for me.

How many books do you have on your list? I have just 8 or so books and movies.

Sometimes there are server issues. do you get this once in a while or every time?

Wordsmith
2noelle

I have the same problem and ironically, I experienced the same problem with the NC. What I do know is that if the Wifi signal is weak, the wishlist does not load. I know this, because I've tried different hotspots, i.e. smartphone or other wifi spots away from home and it loads right away. It sounds weird, but every other shop function works except the wishlist and recent views. Sometimes I can load my wishlist at home and sometimes not. If you have a personal hotspot on your smartphone, try accessing the wishlist once you've connected your Nook to that.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

That's so strange. I can't think of any reason that signal strength would be connected to wishlists not working. I mean, technically, it should just mean it would take longer.

Aha .. that brings up a thought.

Perhaps what happens is that

You call for your wishlist.

The database gets accessed.

It starts sending you data.

Your Nook gets wishlist and sends a signal that it's complete.

Connection to database gets closed.

If there's a timeout i.e. If you don't hear from the device in 3 seconds then assume connection is lost and close.

Then it would, on a slow signal, assume that connection got broken beause it didn't get a response in time.

That might be why on slow connections the wishlist can never load.

Reader 4
ptodd
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also have been having this issue.

Talking to a Nook "expert" using chat on the B&N website, they told me to power it off, hold the power button for 20 secs then restart.  I did.  When that didn't fix it they said just try again later.  

I have been trying for a couple of days without sucess.

I don't have a ton of items in the wishlist, but since my memory is subpar, I was using the list to remember things that looked interesting to me, so I need it.

Anybody have any luck yet getting this worked out?

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issues with my HD.  I can't get to my wishlist.  It's bad enough it won't connect to my NookBook wishlist on the website, but now I can't get to it on the HD.  

I will put out there that there were several times when the same thing happened with my 1st Edition Nook too.

Hmmm.  Maybe I should drag out the antique and see if I can get to a wishlist on that.

Frequent Contributor
CNUcrazy09
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the same thing. When I first got my NOOK HD + it was working but now it just circles and circles. Most of the time it does not load. Maybe once in every 15 tries and sometimes not even then. It is very irritating. I have been watching mine try to load for the last 10 minutes and nothing and I have a good wifi signal. Seems stupid to have to erase and deregister my nook just to fix a wishlist issue.
Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Re: HD+ Wishlist Issue?/Rant

It goes without saying that is really is a pain, not being able to access our wishlist on our devices.  I say devices, because I couldn't access it consistently on my NC either.  Furthermore, if you purchase something on your wishlist, it doesn't automatically update, you have to take it off your wishlist beforehand, because if you don't, you can't get it off.  I find this obsurd and very annoying, since the problem has been around since the NC, I guess there's not a fix coming soon.  Why have this feature if it isn't going to work properly.

As an aside, I don't plan on updating to any other Nook device in the future, I wish B&N well, but when I purchase a device, I purchase it for what it says it does, not what it's going to do.  When you put something on the market, all the features advertised should work out of the box.  Some issues I've had, right out of the box were:

1. the right side corner  frame of the Nook HD+ was separated from the screen, took it back got a new one, the new one isn't nearly as bad as the first, but there's still a little separation.  I don't notice that it's there, but....

2. Wishlist doesn't work properly, see above

The library is still wacky, magazine problems, some page perfect books aren't able to show up in library and/or not compatible.

3.  Customer service is a joke

4.  Can't store sideloaded books onto sd card without wiping out shelves; not sure if that's still the case, but don't want to begin all my shelves over again to find out.  Does anyone know if we can do this now?  I haven't tried to since the update (2.0.6)

Finally, I might add that I received, as a birthday present from hubby, an Ipad that doesn't appear to have any issue, out the box.  This technology isn't new, so I don't know why B&N's devices are so buggy.  Off my soapbox, let me know if I'm just off base with this, I do love B&N, but they need to get it together to compete.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

2noelle, I'm in the same boat as you. I would love for B&N to stick around for a long, long time. Better for books and tablets and for readers.

However, it needs to get its act together. I had an iPad 2 and that didn't do it for me. Size just wasn't right.

However, it was polished software wise. Much more so than the shiny aluminium. The software was really
polished and worked well.

Nooks are the opposite - the hardware and device and feel of them is great. But the software is lacking.

For the things you mention:

1. the right side corner  frame of the Nook HD+ was separated from the screen, took it back got a new one, the new one isn't nearly as bad as the first, but there's still a little separation.  I don't notice that it's there, but....

* Been lucky to not get this. However this does seem to happen to some users.

2. Wishlist doesn't work properly, see above

* This I don't understand because a good, synced wishlist would lead to more sales.

The library is still wacky, magazine problems, some page perfect books aren't able to show up in library and/or not compatible.

* Don't know much about this.

3.  Customer service is a joke

* Yes, it seems Stores have great customer service but phone is poor and chat is atrocious.

4.  Can't store sideloaded books onto sd card without wiping out shelves; not sure if that's still the case, but don't want to begin all my shelves over again to find out.  Does anyone know if we can do this now?  I haven't tried to since the update (2.0.6)

* I haven't restarted on Shelves because of this. I need to keep using the SD Card for storage space reasons. So no point spending hours on shelves.

Finally, I might add that I received, as a birthday present from hubby, an Ipad that doesn't appear to have any issue, out the box.  This technology isn't new, so I don't know why B&N's devices are so buggy.

* I think the distinction is that

Apple is using (with some tweaks) the same OS that it used for iPod Touch and iPhone. That goes back a long way.

Apple thought about Tablets since 2000 and has been a software company for a long, long time (and also a hardware company for a long, long time).

B&N is neither. It managed to win one part (hardware). Not perfect but close.

In software it made a few mistakes and those have magnified. Also it depends on Android and Android too suffers from the same issue of not being as good as iOS when it comes to polish and stability.

I've seen in other forums that Kindle Fire owners and Android Tablet owners also complain about similar issues (though B&N does have some unique issues on top of those).

The Android MTP issue is one. I get it with my Kindle Fire too. I had to transfer over around 8 GB of files and it took 4-5 tries and a combined 4 hours.

On any other non-Android 4.0 device it would be 5 to 10 minutes at most.

So B&N has Android's weaknesses (including Android putting graphics as lower priority threads and thus causing lagging everywhere) plus it has its own flaws.

It's very difficult to make a really good OS for Tablets. I have a Microsoft Surface too and it too has lagginess issues and some major usability issues (that of course are bad design decisions by that team).

So Apple is the ONLY (in my opinion, of course) Tablet company that has a SMOOTH, FAST, and Easy to Use OS for Tablets right now.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Thanks 5ivedom, your input is appreciated.
Contributor
DocJustice
0 Kudos

I've been having the same issue with my HD.  Turning the unit off by holding the power button for 20 seconds and restarting doesn't help in my case.  Any fix would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

The wishlist worked in the B&N store this weekend, but not at home.  UGH!

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13

I just figured it out. In another thread, someone suggested going to Settings>Apps>Shop and choose Clear Previously Viewed List. But that didn't work for me, so tried the next best thing. Go to the same place, but choose Clear Search History.  Apparently, the wishlist and the seach history are kept in the same spot in memory. So if you do a lot of searching in the shop, you fill up that memory slot and your wishlist won't load.

[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Contributor
kurleygirl
0 Kudos

There are several threads out there addressing this same issue and I am going to post this response on every one of them!  I am really pissed about this issue, especially since it has obviously been a problem for a very long time.  Even if B&N won't admit it. 

I had the same problem with my ~1 year old Nook Color about 2 months ago.  I took it into a store, and the employee claimed she had never heard of this problem before.  After great wringing of hands, she said the only solution was to reset the Nook.  I reluctantly agreed; I use the Wishlist to not only show new books I am interested in, but to queue up the next installment of many series I am reading.

After a couple of weeks of FINALLY reassembling my wishlist, my list of internet bookmarks, and my shelves, the Wishlist started acting up again, then finally crapped out.  This time I tried the chat support option.  The support hack I spoke to spent 20 minutes going through all the 'usual' solutions: turn it off then turn it on, turn it off for 10 seconds then turn it on, blah, blah, blah he said that this is a recurring server problem that Tech is 'working on'.  He couldn't say how long they have been working on it, or how long until they expected to solve it.  He said the only thing he could suggest was to reset it and hope they solve the problem before the Wishlist craps out again.  I asked him, if I choose not to reset and live without the Wishlist on the Nook, how would I know when the problem was fixed, he said try it every couple of days!!!  Seems to me this is not a day-to-day problem.

So now I am left using the Nook wishlist online, which is a GREAT pain in the butt, and combined with B&N's policy of advertising 50% off books that aren't actually half their regularly advertised price and crappy deceptive support, wishing I had bought a Kindle.

New User
StrawberryJeeps
0 Kudos

It worked! Thank you so much for the post!
New User
srwells
0 Kudos

woohoo that worked. thanks so much for the post.

Reader 2
LycanGrrl
0 Kudos

Omg, thank you for this post! I know it's almost 3 years old but I am so grateful I came across this because it immediately worked. Thank you thank you thank you!
Reader
mulliniks
0 Kudos

Sorry for reviving a somewhat old-ish post, but I've had this wishlist problem since my last order off the wishlist, back on April 29.  Having just finished that book, I was all set to get a new book of my list, but the wishlist wouldn't load, no matter how long I waited.  I switched the screen lock time to 1 hour, but there wasn't any change to the wishlist when I checked back after almost an hour.  Still a spinning circle.  I cleared search and viewing history in Shop, but that didn't help.

And here is where it gets more complicated.  I erased and deregistered the Nook HD+ yesterday morning.  Loaded all my apps back onto the device.  Then I went to Shop, tried to load the wishlist, no difference in what happened.  Still the spinning circle of death.  When I pulled up books I knew were on my wishlist, they still showed as being on the wishlist.

Then in the afternoon I went to a local B&N store to see if a store employee could help.  I first checked to see that the floor model HD+'s could access wishlists from Shop, which they all could.  I then explained my situation to a very nice sales associate, who then called somebody who might have been some sort of Nook technical support rep.  We did a factory reset (I don't mind reconstructing my wishlist from time to time, as I assumed that the reset would result in loss of the wishlist).  But the same thing happened when I tried to pull up my wishlist.  A spinning circle.  When I repeatedly switched between the Shop home screen and the wishlist screen, I would sometimes get an error message that I was having connection problmes (clearly not the case, as I had full bars and didn't have any problem doing anything except for trying to access my wishlist in Shop, which all require an internet connection).  Also, books that I knew were on my wishlist still showed up as being on my wishlist when I searched for them in Shop.  I hadn't added or deleted these books from the wishlist since erasing/deregistering and factory resetting the device.  The associate even pulled some Nook how-to books off the shelf to see if there was anything helpful in there.  I knew there wouldn't be, but I didn't want to come off as more impatient than I already seemed, so I let her figure this out herself by checking to see what the books had to say (nothing, it turns out) about this situation.  She did, however, confirm that the wishlist on the Nook is different than the wishlist on barnesandnoble.com, as I tried to explain to her.  Even though a wishlist shows up on my account online, it's a vestige of my 1st edition Nook, back when the wishlists synced between the device and the website.  I left the store with no solution to the problem.

I did another factory reset last night.  No change.  Still unable to load the wishlist.

This morning, though, I opened the Nook app on my Nexus 7.  My wishlist shows up.  Everything is there.  Readily accessible, although in a clunky list that isn't as easy to navigate as it would be if the books were laid out in a grid.  I guess I can live with that.  I was so close to making the switch to a Kindle, but for the moment, I'm not so put out by having to use the Nook app rather than the Shop app to maintain my wishlist.  It would be nice, though, to some day be able to get back my wishlist on my Nook.

Oh, and the fact that I had 1000+ books on my wishlist might have something to do with this.  But I use the wishlist as a place to keep books I might read rather than books I will read.

Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

Re: HD+ Wishlist Issue -- WARN US VIA EMAIL BEFORE MANDATORY OS UPDATES ATTACK OUR NOOK HD+s

B&N,

you have ALL our emails.

Why why why could you not email us and tell us this was going to happen?

This morning, I am running to work, and opened my nook HD+ to check an email, and lo and gd behold, it is back to slate one and wants me to register it and reset up every gd thing!

Why do we have to re-register, re-download all our apps and books and games and everything?

I am FURIOUS with your lack of communication and serious LACK OF UNDERSTANDING of customer needs.

When I get home from work, it will be a good 2 hour process to reset everything as I had it before. 

When Apple updates my iphone OS, I get a warning before hand, and it does NOT require setting up the phone anew.

FURTHERMORE, I have a movie on my memory card, and the movie wants to be re-downloaded!!! what!???

An actual response would be welcomed!!!

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Re: HD+ Wishlist Issue -- WARN US VIA EMAIL BEFORE MANDATORY OS UPDATES ATTACK OUR NOOK HD+s

What update? 

V2.2.0 was pushed out months ago and unless you've been living in a radio free zone with no WiFi should have been updated long ago. 

No update has ever lost settings on my unit; heck, I was even playing Bejeweled 2 during an update and didn't even lose my place in that when the reboot took place.

Baron Wulfraed