New User
ballincollig
0 Kudos

HD + battery draining fast since update

Anyone having this problem?

Battery draining 4-5% an hour, in sleep mode, with no wifi enabled. All this since the update.

It used to last all day!

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Re: HD + battery draining fast since update

I got the update last night and when I went to bed had at 3/4 battery, went to use it this morning and not even enough power to turn it on.

New User
ballincollig
0 Kudos

I'm also getting those weird "Unfortunately email/settings/[random app] has stopped" pop-ups. All this since the update.
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

ballincollig wrote:

Anyone having this problem?

Battery draining 4-5% an hour, in sleep mode, with no wifi enabled. All this since the update.

It used to last all day!

2.0.6; stand-by, WiFi ON, five hours -- 1% battery change (75 to 74).

Now if I could just figure out what is causing "Nook Today" to stop updating between full power-off cycles...

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Updated last night and left wifi on. Just turned hd plus on and still have full battery charge. Wonder if a specific app could be the source?
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I have not noticed unusual power drain since update.  I do charge it every night, but I'm at 85% or better when I hook it up--about what I'd have before.

Frequent Contributor
kevinp
0 Kudos

Battery is lasting fine for me as well since update.

Actually, since I got my new cover, the battery has been lasting many days (5-6?) depending on how much I use my HD+. I got a real leather case off ebay and it has the magnets inside that turn my HD+ on and off as I open and close the cover. I also turned on PowerSave Mode (and then turned the screen brightness back up). My HD+ battery was lasting two or three days max before that.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What cover is it with the magnets? I didn't even know there was a cover you could get to turn Nook HD/HD+ on and off.

If there's battery drain then it's probably an app running in the background.

Q What is your email app setting for how often it checks for new emails?

Q Any new app you installed recently?

That rate of battery being lost suggests either

- some small app is running non-stop in the background

OR

- some app is checking wirelessly every 10-15 minutes.

If it's a system app then it might be able to turn wifi on to check.

Frequent Contributor
kevinp
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

What cover is it with the magnets? I didn't even know there was a cover you could get to turn Nook HD/HD+ on and off.

I ordered it off ebay from a seller called crazy_ichiban. All the other ones I saw said they were made out of PU leather (plastic leather--isn't that an oxymoron?). This one claimed to be real leather and it is. It was $14.95 with free shipping and shipped out of California. The ad didn't say anything about the magnets, so I was quite surprised.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks KevinP.

He sure has a lot of covers.

I'm going to see if I can find one i like, and hopefully mine arrives with the magnets too.

Contributor
Zinzah
0 Kudos

Santa brought me a Nook HD....opened and started playing and reading....Always kept it charged...Normally had to plug it in every three days or so....Why can't all batteries last that long? I think i saw the 15% warning once in the past 5 weeks.Well, got the update and now, as I am finding, others are having the same issue-I am now lucky if I can go 8 hours without seeing that 15% warning. I am using it no differently...same amount of time reading, apping, emailing.....I will plug it in every night and it says fully charged in the morning (the same way I have always done it), but by 6pm I'm seeing the 15% warning? I know the first question I will be asked is what news apps have I added or what settings were changed....and I can truly say nothing!!!! Except if the update made any changes I do not know about.......has anyone spoke to BN about this???
Inspired Contributor
Miss_Kilman

This just a quick note about the magnetic, auto-off covers. BN sells the Groovy cover that uses this feature. When I realized that it was using a magnet, I instantly had to play with the HD+ and a refrigerator magnet to figure out where the switch was located. It's hidden in the upper left side of the casing. Once again reminding me of how overall elegant the hardware design has been for the Nook line. Very nice.

I'm not in love with the Groovy case, so I appreciate the tip about ebay. I will definitely be looking into that!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

If you haven't changed anything on your end that leaves a few possibilities -

1) Some app suddenly, by random coincidence, started misbehaving around the time of the update.

Probability: Close to Zero.

2) Update changes something in how often wireless things are checked (lots of things are checked like shop, email, etc.). And that now eats up battery.

Probability: Perhaps.

3) Update changes something in what processes are run in the Background. And this eats up battery life faster.

Probability: Perhaps.

I'd recommend trying a few things:

1) Turn off WiFi for a day and see if that means much better battery life. If so, then it means there's some error or inefficiency in wifi usage after the update. Then we should add an issue in the Issue Reporting Forum and vote for that so B&N can take note.

2) Get 'App Killer' App and use that to see what is running. Is there some new app that you don't recognize?

At first I thought it might be not related to update (when the first 1 or 2 users mentioned this). However, now there are more people getting it and that suggests it's likely due to the update.

Contributor
Zinzah
0 Kudos

5ivedom - Thanks for the response.....Took it off the charger this morning - FULLY CHARGED.

Drove to work....45 minutes...Battery was at 90%.....Turning off Wi-Fi now ('cuz it won't work at work anyway!!). No new apps or unrecognized apps....Let you know what happens later......

Contributor
GerryF

5ivedom wrote:

Thanks KevinP.

He sure has a lot of covers.

I'm going to see if I can find one i like, and hopefully mine arrives with the magnets too.

5ivedom,

I got mine from Amazon -  Poetic Slimbook Leather Case for Nook HD 7 and it supports sleep/wake. $12 for, IMO, a much better case than the ones that B&N sells. I'm very happy with it.

Contributor
Zinzah
0 Kudos

Battery update.... So at 6:00am it was fully charged. At 7am wifi was turned off. Played some games and read a bit today....maybe 2 hrs, tops. The rest of the time it was in sleep(?) Mode-or whatever mode it is called when you just set it down with no pressing of any button(which is what i have done for the past 5 weeks).PS - screen timeout is 2 minutes. At 5:15pm got the 15% battery warning . Plugged it in at that time. Battery now at 53% and wifi on so I can make this post. Will leave on charger until fully charged.....anyone else?
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Zinzah

If battery life is draining even with wifi off, and that too by that amount, then it has to be some app running in the background.

You can go to Settings and get a list of what apps you're running. Are there any ones there that seem unfamiliar?

You can also get an app named App Killer to monitor apps.

Gerry, thanks for the tip.

Contributor
Zinzah
0 Kudos

LOL...while I had wifi turned on, I figured I would get app killer. I did....there were 3 apps run in...the game i was playing and 2 others: Com.bn.cloud.svc:svc Com.mobisystems.office:search Neither one of these seem to be killed by app killer....should they be?
Contributor
Zinzah
0 Kudos

Ok... so I have been "nooking", all night - since my last post anyway....as I said before, I had it on the charger . I took it off about 8pm when it was fully charged.. I just got the 15% warnng.....2 hrs???? To drain with wifi on? Something is definitely up.....
Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Depends on just what you were doing...

Bejeweled 2 will drain my HD+ in about three hours (based on my longest game taking about 2 hours).

If the WiFi works like cell-phones, the weaker the received signal, the more power it uses to transmit.

Baron Wulfraed